[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Analytical Philosophy Megathread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: awesome_science.jpg (108 KB, 550x543) Image search: [Google]
awesome_science.jpg
108 KB, 550x543
Analytical Philosophy Megathread
>>
>>533753
http://www.philpapers.org/archive/sinPG
>>
Scientism and I Fucking Love Science types are incredibly annoying, but the fact that all philosophers can offer in response is myticism and solipsism is pretty damning.
>>
>>534622
Because most philosophers seem to try to apply their extremely deeply thought ideas to argue against scientism when all it takes is to point out that simple everyday life is enough to do it.
>>
>>534622
>but the fact that all philosophers can offer in response is myticism and solipsism is pretty damning.

Kuhn, Lakatos and Feyerabend are mystics?

Fuck me.
>>
>>534622

>in response

In response to what? In response to science? Philosophy isn't at war with science, they're complementary systems of thought.

Anyone claiming that philosophy can provide better answers about the (assumed) material world than science is an idiot, just as much as people trumpeting the irrelevance of philosophy are.

However, at least on 4chan it seems that the case is much more often (poorly) made for the insignificance of philosophy, vs the insignificance of science.
>>
>>533753
What contributations have analytic philosophy made? I've been on /his/ since day 1 and it seems all analytic fanboys do is try to insult other forms of philosophy.
>>
File: philo.png (518 KB, 1242x512) Image search: [Google]
philo.png
518 KB, 1242x512
>>
>>533753
The problem this board seems to have with scientism/positivism and analytical philosophy has more to do with the fact that most people here are ignoramuses who started with Nietzsche and seem to think the Vienna Circle represents the culmination of analytic thought when really it was only fashionable for two or three decades.
>>
/a/ dislikes western comics
/r9k/ hates women
/g/ and /sci/ look down on non-STEM just a little bit.
/k/ dislikes gun control
/his/ dislikes ______
You fill in the blank. For some reason STEM and humanities people hate each other, at least on the internet.
>>
>>537183

Does /his/ really dislike STEM though? Most anti-STEM sentiment seems to arise in threads made by STEMfags claiming that the humanities are unnecessary. I see way more dedicated anti-humanities threads on /sci/, than I see dedicated anti-STEM threads on /his/.
>>
>>537183
Let's play a game
/pol/ dislikes ____
>>
>>534692
Analytical philosophy is really interesting and important, I am especially interested in the areas of linguistics.

But I think of science and analytical philosophy as how questions and the humanities as why questions, they are both very different questions that are both very important

>>537846
Themselves
>>
>>537846
jews
>>
>>534640
He's probably a Wikipedia warrior and only know Feyerabend shallowly (if even the name) so it shouldn't be surprised why he think Feyerabend was a mystic.
>>
>>537846
Their lack of personal success, which is why they need to latch on their ethnicity to feel of value
>>
>>534692
Several in just the last 50 years. Rawls completely separated political philosophy from ethics, the Gettier problem in epistemology threw out everything we thought we knew about epistemology up to that point, and analytical philosophy more or less dominates contemporary philosophy of the mind and philosophy of science.

That said, the line is pretty blurry and arbitrary and most people will draw inspiration from the philosophers, not the schools. We're past the stage when you can say "I'm an existentialist" or "I'm a Hegelian" and then just get a package of theories.
>>
why do analytic philosophers hate philosophy so much?
>>
Is it worth it to read Richard Montague's work on semantics? Or should I just skip him and read more contemporary stuff?

>tfw can't talk about all the analytic philosophy I've been reading due to the 25 year rule
Fuck it, who /cappelen and lepore/ here?
>>
>>537183
>/a/ dislikes western comics
not really, we just dislike capeshit
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.