[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Praise The Lord!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7
File: images-1.jpg (6 KB, 176x229) Image search: [Google]
images-1.jpg
6 KB, 176x229
Just watched a rabbi's show "Discovering Jewish Jesus" or something like that and the rabbi went in depth about the "Our Father"

>Our Father who art in Heaven hallowed (holy) be thy name

He mentions how we need to put God first in our lives.

>Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done, on Earth, in Heaven

It is about us aligning ourself with God's will and seeing it manifest everywhere

>Give us this day our daily bread

It is after we put God first, then we ask for our daily bread

>Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us

We ask God to forgive us, so in turn, we must forgive others

>Lead us not into temptation and deliver us from evil

We ask God not to be seduced by the evil in the world

>For Your's is the Kingdom and power and glory forever Amen.

God will triumph, even if this is the end times, His name and Graces will always be eternal.
>>
He also said this quote:

>"If anyone will is to do God's will, he will know whether the teaching is from God or whether I am speaking on my own authority" John 7:17

So Christ is telling us throughout the Gospels that He is doing God's will, and to understand that the teachings are from God, we have to apply them and see how they align with God's will.
>>
This book isn't in my Bible but is the reading for today

>Reading 1,Jonah 3:1-10

1The word ofYahwehwas addressed to Jonaha second time.

2'Up!' he said, 'Go to Nineveh, the great city, and preach to it as I shall tell you.'

3Jonah set out and went to Nineveh in obedienceto the word of Yahweh. Now Nineveh was a city great beyond compare; to cross it took three days.

4Jonah began by going a day's journey into the city and then proclaimed, 'Only forty days more and Ninevehwillbe overthrown.'

5And the people of Nineveh believed in God; they proclaimed afastand put on sackcloth, from the greatest to the least.

6When the news reached the king of Nineveh, he rose from his throne, took off his robe, put on sackcloth and sat down in ashes.

7He then had it proclaimed throughout Nineveh, bydecreeof the king and his nobles, as follows: 'Nopersonor animal, herd or flock, may eat anything; they may not graze, they may not drink any water.

8All must put on sackcloth and call onGod with all their might; and let everyone renounce hisevilways and violent behaviour.

9Who knows? PerhapsGodwillchange His mindand relent and renounce his burning wrath, so that we shall not perish.'

10God saw their efforts to renounce theirevilways. AndGodrelented about the disaster which he had threatened to bring on them, and did not bring it.
>>
>>710327

So to summarize this reading, God warns Jonah about upcoming disaster, and tells them to preach to the people.

The people are asked to fast and repent.

God sees them Repent and does not bring about disaster because He is pleased with their efforts.

This is good for present day understanding.
>>
>>710327
And today's Gospel

>Gospel,Luke 11:29-32

29The crowds got even bigger and he addressed them, 'This is anevilgeneration; it is asking for a sign. The only sign itwillbe given is the sign of Jonah.

30For just asJonahbecame a sign to the people of Nineveh, sowillthe Son ofmanbe a sign to this generation.

31On Judgement Day the Queen of the Southwillstand up against the people of thisgenerationand be their condemnation, because she came from the ends of the earth to hear thewisdomof Solomon; and, look, there is something greater thanSolomonhere.

32On Judgement Day the men of Ninevehwillappear against thisgenerationand be its condemnation, because whenJonahpreached they repented; and, look, there is something greater thanJonahhere.
>>
>Responsorial Psalm,Psalms 51:3-4, 12-13, 18-19

-

>3For I am well aware of my offences, mysinis constantly in mind.

>4Against you, you alone, I have sinned, I have done what you see to be wrong, that you may show your savingjusticewhen you pass sentence, and your victory may appear when you give judgement,

Understanding our own faults and discredit able acts towards God.

>12Give me back the joy of your salvation, sustain in me a generous spirit.

>13I shall teach the wicked your paths, and sinnerswillreturn to you.

Asking God to restore us and help is to restore others

>18In your graciousness dogoodto Zion, rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.

>19Then youwilldelight in upright sacrifices,-burntofferingsand whole oblations -- and young bullswillbe offered on your altar.

Giving offerings, being built back up. The bull is likely an OT Torah reference.
>>
>>710332
They weren't asked to do anything. They were told judgment is coming. They repented, king on down, and bought themselves another 40 years.

Imagine God told you to speak to ISIS, and tell them that judgment was coming.

That's what the people of Nineveh were like.
>>
>>710302

but..what is God's real name?

God isn't his name so everyone praising God or Jesus or doing so in vain..

Jews say God's name is Yahweh and Jesus is Yahshua but I've also read elsewhere that the Jews are lying and won't reveal his name to outsiders.

God's name is said to be Jehovah, Yahuah (hu is breathed out as you do this), Abba, etc.

Jesus name is said to be Yehoshua. It's so confusing.

WHAT IS THEIR REAL NAMES?
>>
>>713433

The original Hebrew-Aramaic name of Jesus is Yeshua, which is short for Yehoshua (Joshua)
>>
>>713433
The Father is YHWH, the Son is Yeshua, the Holy Spirit is just the Holy Spirit.
>>
>>712301

The thing with this is...practically anyone with control over their people can tell them something bad is going to happen and in order to stop it from occurring they have to do a certain act to please God.

It sounds very cultish to me.
>>
>>713433
Well the word God most likely comes from the Germanic Godan/Godanaz, aka Odin, who would've been worked into christian mythology in early conversion attempts of the Germanic tribes.

The name of the Judeo-Christian god is YHWH, in Hebrew:הוהי pronounce Yahweh, roughly, in English.

However it is interesting to note that, in Hebrew, particularly in earlier parts of the Talmud, and the Torah, God is sometimes referred to as Elohim, which is plural for multiple gods, and is most likely formed from on of the chief ancient Levantine-Semetic deities El/Eloah, who was one of their chief gods, showing Judaisms roots in ancient Semitic paganism.

The name Yahweh most likely comes from the same pantheon, and was one of the chief war gods, being the leader of El's armies, and was likely adopted by later Israeli's and Canaanites, who were worshiping him as their primary deity, as their religion became more monotheistic.
>>
>>713458

New to the thread, but exactly what control did Jonah have over the Assyrians in Nineveh? He was a wandering prophet of a god they didn't worship from a people they regularly beat the crap out of and exacted tribute from.
>>
>>713433
This is as silly as saying venerating an icon isn't venerating a saint, because the icon is not the saint herself.
>>
>>713512
>He's not an Iconoclast
Heathen
>>
>>713489

> God is sometimes referred to as Elohim, which is plural for multiple gods,

That isn't quite true. For starters, "Elohim" usually acts with verbs that are conjugated singly.

The root אלה (El-oh) isn't so much "God" as "God that rules over noun X" and is conjugated as such. Elohim aside, it's always affixed to a noun, and the "im" ending pluralizes things that the God rules over, not the number of gods. For instance, in Exodus 34:16, talking about how they shouldn't get too chummy with the caananites, it's

> וְלָקַחְתָּ מִבְּנֹתָיו, לְבָנֶיךָ; וְזָנוּ בְנֹתָיו, אַחֲרֵי אֱלֹהֵיהֶן, וְהִזְנוּ אֶת-בָּנֶיךָ, אַחֲרֵי אֱלֹהֵיהֶן

and you take their daugthers for your sons, and their daugthers shall go after their gods, and make your sons go after their gods.

אֱלֹהֵיהֶן, their many (ruler, female) gods, not אֱלֹהִים
>>
>>713545
>That isn't quite true. For starters, "Elohim" usually acts with verbs that are conjugated singly.
True, Elohim is most often used as a sort weird singular-plural form we don't really have an equivalent for in English, though there are verses where it's confusing as to whether אֱלֹהִים (elohim) is referring to the God of Israel or multiple gods of other peoples, and you usually have to infer it from context. Usually this is just translated to the singular God in other, non-Semitic, languages, even though the Bible will specifically be talking about polytheistic societies and their gods. Make you really understand why the Muslims don't want anyone reading their holy text in anything other than Arabic, so much room for confusion when translation is involved.

I still stand by the etymology of the word from IL>El>Eloah>Elohim, and it pointing to Judaism pagan roots though, as that's pretty well researched and understood.
>>
>>713648
The monotheistic deity most people are intending to worship isn't polytheistic but One God that is the source for their soul and is the eternal Spirit in Heaven.

That's why there are some who say they are Jews and are not Jews and some who say they are Jews and are loving of the One true God.
>>
>>713433
God is more than just a name. I think all religions attempt to call the Supreme Eternal God by some name, and we all attempt to be God's devotees.
>>
>>712301
Maybe that's why end times prophecies are here and being fulfilled so the people can actually do something about it rather than just let it happen.
>>
Jeremiah 8:8
How can you say, "We are wise because we have the word of the LORD," when your teachers have twisted it by writing lies?

--------

This proves scriptures are commonly altered, truth is removed and lies are written.

---------

Jeremiah 23:27

who think to make my people forget my name by their dreams that they tell one another, even as their fathers forgot my name for Baal?

Meaning of Baal: Lord.

------------

This proves that "Lord" is one of many fake names of God.

----------------------

We have established both that certain people remove the truth and write down lies, and it seems that these lies are the very name of God.

And of course, if they change the very name of God, they will change the name of the Christ and wirte lies about him.

So yes, NEITHER is the name of the Christ Jesus, NOR is he a god.
>>
>>715047
Lord is usually a name for Yahweh, but yeah, most people are intending to worship the God that is the Holy Spirit.

Sure, the Bible may have intentional mistranslations.

And Christ is God. This is a belief exclusive to Christians. The name shouldn't be translated into "Jesus" but "Iesu" or "Iesus Christos" as it would be originally pronounced in Greek where the name first appears.

Or Yeshua.
>>
>>715055
>Lord is usually a name for Yahweh

It seems like you are ignoring the very quotes I posted. So I will post them again.

FORGOT MY NAME FOR BAAL.

Baal meaning Lord.

And since you came lying from the first moment, we can gladly ignore the rest of your post.

But prove me wrong, DO A MIRACLE in the name of Jesus.
>>
>>715126
When people pray and meditate on God as the Holy Spirit, there is no difficulty.

There is one religion, "Love God with all your heart" and there is one way, "Love your neighbor, love your enemy"
>>
>>715143
>When people pray and meditate on God as the Holy Spirit, there is no difficulty.
Not if they're Christian, Jewish, or Muslim, they're not, they are specifically praying to the God of the Bible, which is the patron deity of Israel and not the only God attested to in the Bible, depending on interpretation.
>>
>>715143

I see you couldn't do the miracle
>>
>>715202
It depends how you look at it. A Jew or a Muslim or a Christian, when they pray, anyone religious really if they have pure intentions understand how easy it is to pray and call upon the Holy Spirit.

>>715250
You don't need a miracle to understand.
>>
Praise theLord! Praise God in his sanctuary; praise him in his mighty heavens! Praise him for his mighty deeds; praise him according to his excellent greatness! Praise him with trumpet sound; praise him with lute and harp! Praise him with tambourine and dance; praise him with strings and pipe! Praise him with sounding cymbals; praise him with loud clashing cymbals! ... (Psalm 150:1-6)
>>
There is literally nothing wrong with sucking cock.
>>
12'So always treat others as you would like them to treat you; that is theLawand the Prophets.
>>
>2I bow down before your holy Temple. I praise your name for your faithful love and your constancy; your promises surpass even your fame.

>3You heard me on the day when I called, and you gave newstrengthto my heart.
>>
2 Peter 3:9

The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.
>>
File: l1.jpg (23 KB, 225x337) Image search: [Google]
l1.jpg
23 KB, 225x337
The divine Trinity is manifested: the voice of the Father is heard as the Spirit descends upon the Son.
>>
File: l2.jpg (26 KB, 225x337) Image search: [Google]
l2.jpg
26 KB, 225x337
http://www.rosary-center.org/luminous.htm

2nd Mystery of Light: Wedding at Cana

This site gives a good imagery of what was going on in the Bible when it explains the Mysteries.
>>
File: l3.jpg (21 KB, 225x337) Image search: [Google]
l3.jpg
21 KB, 225x337
>The Third Luminous Mystery

THE PROCLAMATION OF THE KINGDOM

>"Repent, for the kingdom of God is at hand."
>"My kingdom is not of this world."

>"Unless a man be born again of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of heaven."

>"Whoever does not accept the kingdom of God as a little child will not enter into it."

"I have come to call sinners, not the just."

"Love your enemies, pray for those who persecute you."

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

"Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for justice, for they shall be satisfied."

"Blessed are they who suffer persecution for justice' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
>>
File: l4.jpg (28 KB, 225x337) Image search: [Google]
l4.jpg
28 KB, 225x337
>Jesus foresaw the 'scandal of the cross,' and prepared them for it by this manifestation of His glory.

With James, Peter, and John during the Transfiguration:

>Moses and Elias (representing the Law and the prophets of the Old Testament) were conversing with Jesus about His Passion.

"Do not think I have come to destroy the Law or the Prophets... but to fulfill them."
>>
File: l5.jpg (23 KB, 225x337) Image search: [Google]
l5.jpg
23 KB, 225x337
Jesus took bread, blessed it: "Take and eat, this is My Body."Taking the wine: "This cup is the new covenant in my Blood, shed for you."
>>
First Reading today is from Ezekiel 18

1'If the wicked, however, renounces all the sins he has committed, respects my laws and is law-abiding and upright, hewillmost certainly live; hewillnot die.

22None of the crimes he committedwillbe remembered against him from then on; hewillmost certainly live because of his upright actions.
>>
>>719627
>26When the upright abandons uprightness and does wrong and dies, he dies because of the wrong which he himself has done.

This is showing that we are responsible for our own sin.
>>
3If you kept a record of our sins, Lord, who could stand their ground?

4But with you is forgiveness, that you may be revered.
>>
Are worship threads "humanities"?
>>
http://www.catholic.org/bible/daily_reading/
>>
>26Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. Forwe do not know what to pray for as we ought, butthe Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.

>27Andhe who searches hearts knows what isthe mind of the Spirit, because the Spiritintercedes for the saintsaccording to the will of God
>>
HIS NAME IS YAHUSHA THE REAL MESSIAH
YADAHYAHUAHYAHUSHA AMERIKKA AND THE WORLD SHALL SEE THE LIGHT
>>
>>722052
Nice
>>
>>718178
Is there any evidence the Trinity is what Christ meant instead of what some council three centuries later invented?
>>
>>723533
Most likely.
>>
>Reading 1,Deuteronomy 26:16-19

16'Yahweh yourGodcommands you today to observe these laws and customs; you must keep and observe them with all your heart and with all your soul.

17'Today you have obtained this declaration from Yahweh: that hewillbe your God, but only if you follow his ways, keep his statutes, his commandments, his customs, and listen to his voice.

18And todayYahwehhas obtained this declaration from you: that youwillbe his own people -- as he has said -- but only if you keep all his commandments;

19then for praise and renown and honour, He willraise you higher than every other nation He has made, and youwillbe a people consecrated to Yahweh, as He has promised.'
>>
>Responsorial Psalm,Psalms 119:1-2, 4-5, 7-8

1How blessed are those whose way is blameless, who walk in theLawof Yahweh!

2Blessed are those who observe his instructions, who seek him with all their hearts,

4You lay down your precepts to be carefully kept.

5May my ways be steady in doing your will.

7I thank you with a sincere heart for teaching me your upright judgements.

8I shall do your will; do not ever abandon me wholly.
>>
>>723533
John 14:26ESV

>But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.

The Father sends the Holy Spirit in the name of Christ (Yeshua, Jesus, Esus,), however His name is pronounced, so that we can remember God throughout our lives who teaches us and breathes with us.

Matthew 28:19ESV

>Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Christ teaches us to baptize in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. This is the Trinity which is definately more authoritive than any concil of members claiming to be the way when Christ specifically says in John 14:6

>Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

So before you decide to follow someone else, follow Him.
>>
Today's Gospel:

>Matthew 5:43-48

43'You have heard how it was said, Youwill love your neighbour and hate your enemy.

44But I say this to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you;

>This is a main virtue of Christ's teaching.

45so that you may bechildrenof your Father in heaven, for he causes his sun to rise on the bad as well as the good, and sends down rain to fall on the upright and the wicked alike.

46For if you love those who love you, what rewardwillyou get? Do not even the tax collectors do as much?

47And if you save your greetings for your brothers, are you doing anything exceptional?

48Do not even thegentilesdo as much? You must therefore be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect.'
>>
>>710302
lol cultists
not history
not even really humanities either if you think about it
>>
>>724378
History and religion board.

History and religion are both interesting.

Plenty of threads all over this website.
>>
File: BasedPrimitiveChristianity.jpg (536 KB, 1062x1402) Image search: [Google]
BasedPrimitiveChristianity.jpg
536 KB, 1062x1402
STEP ASIDE AND BEHOLD THE TRUE INTERPRETATION OF THE LORD'S PRAYER

As told by our teacher, Lev Tolstoy

>Our Father, Man is a son of God
Man is the son of an infinite source: a son of that Father not by the flesh but by the spirit.
>Which art in Heaven, God is the infinite spiritual source of life.
Therefore man should serve that source in spirit.

>Hallowed be Thy Name, May this source of life be held holy
The life of all men has a divine origin. It alone is holy.
>Thy Kingdom come, May his power be realized in all men
Therefore man should serve that source in the life of all men. Such is the will of the Father.

>Thy will be done, as in heaven, May the will oft his infinite source be fulfilled as it is in himself
The service of the will of that Father of life gives life.
>So on earth, so also in the bodily life.
Therefore the gratification of one's own will is not necessary for life.

>Give us our daily bread, Temporal life is the food of the true life.
Temporal life is food for the true life.
>Each day. True life is in the present.
Therefore the true life is independent of time: it is in the present.

>And forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors, And let not the mistakes and errors of the past hide that true life from us.
Time is an illusion of life; life in the past and in the future conceals from men the true life of the present.

>And lead us not into temptation, And may they not lead us into delusion,
Therefore man should strive to destroy the illusion of the temporal life of the past and future.

>But deliver us from evil, And so there shall be no evil.
True life is life in the present, common to all men and manifesting itself in love.
>For thine is the kingdom the power, and the glory, And may thy power, and strength, and wisdom, prevail.
Therefore, he who lives by love in the present, through the common life of all men, unites with the Father, the source and foundation of life. So each two chapters are related as cause and effect.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.