[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sikhism was born from the soil of Punjab and often gets dismissed.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
Sikhism was born from the soil of Punjab and often gets dismissed. Sikhs get abused and thrown insults at because they wear turbans, but throughout history Sikhs have literally done nothing but good. They do have a shorter history than the larger religions of today, but the religion itself seems to make a lot of sense, and is focused around individual spirituality and caring for your fellow man. Every Sikh temple in the world allows free food to everyone; not exclusive to caste, creed, religion or race.

So /his/, what are your thoughts on Sikhism? I haven't seen many threads here regarding the Sikh empire or the religion itself. It'd be interesting to get your views on the religion. I'm not a Sikh myself, I am a Muslim, but I'm very interested in the history of the faith.
>>
Kafir dogs, just genocide them
>>
>>705897
>literally just posted in /k/ about considering converting to Sikhism and my reservations about it

>feel the sudden urge to go to /his/

>this is the first thing I see

I feel like something is happening, man

These are the posts I made by the way

>>>/k/28946048
>>>/k/28946101
>>
>>705897
>So /his/, what are your thoughts on Sikhism?
It's okay
>>
>>705911
I feel you. I've been looking into the religion for a few years now, and at time I've felt the urge to want to abandon Islam and convert to Sikhism. I don't a lot of Sikhs personally, around 3. The teachings of the religion itself are actually very beautiful, and compared to other religions it doesn't have a bad reputation for oppression and a history of violence as far as I am aware.
>>
>>705897

Wikipedia can help you with actual facts that I doubt the majority of 4chan could help you with.

As for opinions, as a white person I would be laughed out of the country for dressing up like a cult member. There is an alleged Sikh group out in New Mexico and they're just silly. These are the same people who in 20 years will be following the next cult leader to come out of Korea.

The real Sikhs I have known, however, were fine. They certainly didn't stink like the other Indians I had to work with.

The SGGSJI (the living book, the huge collection of their holy writings) is treated like it's alive. It is given food and its own room and a comfy bed. That's a bit too far for me. I do like the daily readings from the Gold Temple that are broadcast in English and Guruji, but as far as praying to a book for an hour and a half every day, well, that's good for them.

You also have to get past some of the silly stories, like the Kabba itself moving out of the way of Guru Nanak's feet. I'm sure there are more weird stories but any sikh wiki or website can give you that.

In all, there are far worse religions as far as I'm concerned, and yours is right up there at the top.
>>
>>705923
Exactly. They assimilate perfectly into western society, and got along great with that Mughal emperor Akbar the great, whose tolerance allowed Sikhism to flourish (the later emperors, not so much, who needless to say further drove home the need for self-defense in Sikhs)

Christianity, to me, is a wonderful and beautiful religion which has done much good throughout history, as well as bringing Western society to the heights it's at today. But I'm finding it very hard to believe in it, the mental gymnastics required to for me are just insurmountable.

But when I look at Sikhism, something within just clicked, you know what I'm saying? It just feels instinctively right.
>>
It's not really all that special.
t. Sikh
>>
What is with all this Sikhposting lately?
>>
>>705924
>SGGSJI

so does this book have belles-lettres?
>>
File: harjit-sajjan-1024x8201.jpg (157 KB, 1024x650) Image search: [Google]
harjit-sajjan-1024x8201.jpg
157 KB, 1024x650
canada's new minister of defense is pretty based
>>
>>705897
Punjab is literally a cuckold state that has been conquered and bullied by foreigners for most of it's history
>>
>>705938
What mental gymnastics precisely make Christianity implausible?
>>
>tfw sikhism is cool, but I can't grow a beard

Fucking Amerindian genetics, why couldn't I have real Indian facial hair?! I don't even have chest hair. I have a hair on each nipple and that's it.
>>
>>705897
Bro-tier.
>>
I like Sikhs. I feel they are a bit kindred to us, the Alevi
>>
>>705938
>mughal emperor
>akbar
>sikhs
american education everyone
>>
Yes, sikhs are very nice bunch people, and I've met many. I'm ashamed that I thought some of them looked like muslims just because they let their beards grow and wore turbans.

t. Norwegian
>>
>>705906
Not like they haven't tried
>>
File: image.png (57 KB, 736x170) Image search: [Google]
image.png
57 KB, 736x170
Sikh here.

>>705911
If you wish to devote yourself to Jesus then stay a Christian.

What label we give ourselves is irrelevant anyways. Live humbly, conquer your attachments and vices, live righteously, and remember God. All things that Jesus preached and demonstrated as well.

The Guru says: "Whoever has been saved in the past or the present, was saved through loving
devotional worship of the Divine Lord.”

and

"Of all religions, the best religion is to chant the Name of the Lord and maintain pure conduct. Of all religious rituals, the most sublime ritual is to erase the filth of the dirty mind in the Company of the Holy. Of all efforts, the best effort is to chant the Name of the Lord in the heart, forever. Of all speech, the most ambrosial speech is to hear the Lord's Praise and chant it with the tongue. Of all places, the most sublime place, O Nanak, is that heart in which the Name of the Lord abides.”

The same is described in the Bible:

“Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.” For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
>>
>>705897

Sikhism has been historically too small, between too many large forces, to become corrupt. if they held more power, Sikhism would've been used by political elites for personal gain on a much larger scale, (like how Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, even Confucianism and Buddhism).

I am also a Muslim, and think Sikhism has merit. They are monotheists, so nothing they are saying is technically blasphemy (other than appointing men as divine, but I don't know much of the details about their gurus).

They have also been a great political rival to Hinduism and Political Islamic Empires. Hinduism has it's faulty caste system, and Islamic Empires have been abusing Islam since early Islam (post death of the Prophet).
>>
>>706038

what place hasn't?

I bet you were gonna say some place in Europe, but then I'd say "no, X has conquered Y", then you'd do some mental backflips to claim "But X is actually Y! So it doesn't count!" Then i'd ignore you.

Just skip all that and realize youre wrong.
>>
Sikhs are the scummiest of all the curryniggers. Come to any city in Canada and see for yourself. These towel-headed shitskin manlets ruin the property values of whatever area they move in to, they bring crime and filth wherever they go, and that smell - good God that awful stench - they smell like feces mixed with curry powder and goat semen.
>>
>TFW Sikhs who joined the US military after 9/11 got discriminated against

People can be fucking retards sometimes
>>
I grew up in Silicon Valley, California, and there is a huge Punjab population there, and most of them Sikh. They were always great people. Even the younger ones who took to the black ghetto culture only went so far as to adopt the style. Other Indians always had this weird one foot in the door approach to American culture, where they would complain about how strict and Indian their parents were, but still followed their every word. Punjabs were way more chill. I don't know if it was just their parents that adapted to American culture better, or that the younger generation did. Their curry is better too.
>>
>>707932
>don't integrate into the country
>get called out
>integrate into the country
>get called out.
>>
>>707872
those are the hindu nuffins
The Punjab is pretty clean compared to "mainland" India.
>>
>>705906
intelligent contribution bro
>>
>>707861

Your Lord, that your Guru refers to, is not Jesus.

You have this one life to choose For Jesus, or Against Jesus.

That's the deal.

By calling on Jesus, a man will be saved. By calling on the Lord of this Guru, nobody will ever be saved. The object is the important part, not the calling. The object. The person you're talking to.
>>
>>705924
We don't give SGGS Ji food. However, you're right that we treat the word of God with immense respect. Our temples and our lives are centered around the scripture. It sits on a throne and is the only thing a Sikh will bow down to.

About those stories you mentioned, whether they really happened or not is irrelevant. The story about the Kabba moving for example is to show that which direction you pray in doesn't matter because God is everywhere.

>>707871
We have corruption and problems amongst ourselves too brother.

>>707956
Alright, sorry.
>>
>>707951
no, punjab is a drug infested shithole where people make enough money so they can emigrate from india.
thats why anons like>>707937 see a larger punjabi population. Its because they could get away.
>>
sikhs are cool peepz
>>
>>706058
Well, for starters:
>There's one god: the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost
>>
File: sikhgains.jpg (52 KB, 558x458) Image search: [Google]
sikhgains.jpg
52 KB, 558x458
>go to powerlifting meet with friends
>Sihk dude I see from university is competing
>lats like a flying squirrel

Friggin' hell, all the other guys at the gym were mirin' him hard and complementing him. Pic somewhat related.

>>706012
I remember when he was chosen there was a bit of controversy. Read up a bit on him. Sounds like an interesting lad.
>>
>>707956
I want prodfags to leave forever.
>>
>>708158
Is the God of the Sikhs omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent? If yes, why can't He be three places at once and ascertain three different perspectives? If no, He is not omnipotent, and then why worship Him?
>>
>>708357
>Ask why
>"Why not? Checkmate atheists!"
>>
>>708357
1. Yes to your questions.
2. The guy you're arguing with probably isn't a Sikh, so there's no point in doing this "my God vs your God" stuff.
>>
>>705897
>literally done nothing but good

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_India_Flight_182
>>
>but throughout history Sikhs have literally done nothing but good.

They allahu akbared an airplane full of Canadians before most of us knew what Islam is.
>>
>>708590
False flag by the Indian government.
>>
>Every Sikh temple in the world allows free food to everyone; not exclusive to caste, creed, religion or race.

ah the Langar house, I live in a rich neighborhood populated mostly by sikhs and they're all super rich and are a strong community so they pooled their money together to buy land and create this huge sikh temple and the best thing about them is their constantly fully stocked Langar house with quality ingredients and actual good chefs serving dinner instead of volunteers
>>
>>708617
>chefs

What Gurdwara is this? It's supposed to all be volunteer.
>>
>>705897
>its a "sikhs are bro tier" thread
>>
>>708624
Not him but the chefs might still be volunteers, they just happen to be professional chefs too.
>>
>>708527
But that's not what I said at all, my family, that's a strawman. I asked "what part of Christian theology is implausible," and then someone gave the most inane go-to polemic response of them all with the "le Catholicism is polytheistic" meme, which even Muslims and Arians can at least respond with the accusation of lessening the power and supremacy of God, and then I rebutted them using the Socratic method to sting a thoughtful response out of them. Instead I got you.

>>708567
This is the response I was looking for, spoken like a true adult. Someone who can simply say "I don't believe what you believe" rather than saying "your beliefs are silly."
>>
>>708186
I'm nonreligious and I agree. I have several Catholic friends and even an Orthodox friend, but not a single protestant friend because of their "my way or the highway" attitude
>>
>>708929
>I rebutted them using the Socratic method
Which asked 'Why can't he' as if that a response at all to the question of why is he.
>>
>>708929
>then someone gave the most inane go-to polemic response of them all

That's a funny way to again dodge ever answering it without chasing an aside.
>>
>>708929
Is it just me or is anyone else here always disappointed when they see two Christians try to "debate" their theology?
>>
>>709121
>christian
>theology
>polytheism mental gymnastics
>>
>>705897
Not Christian but still the highest-tier nonChristian religion.
>>
>>706154
More like we never learned anything about Sikhs in school because they aren't really culturally relevant here, and thus, wikipedia education that was read about 4 months ago and the details are already half forgotten.

But keep memeing if it makes you feel any better about the inferiority complex you developed from coming from whatever country you came from.

>>707861
Thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I'm talking about, that's what makes me want to join your religion. And this
>>707956
is what makes me want to leave mine.

Not even being an edgy teenager or anything, what
>>707956
said is logical from a Christian standpoint, and is what the Bible teaches (or rather, what I've been taught that the bible teaches). That's why I don't like the religion. I feel that it is rather unkind of a God that is supposedly all-loving and all-merciful to only allow His children to have one shot at getting it right.

Not trying to be dicks to Christians, just stating my beef with the religion.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.