[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people dress so badly now?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 14
File: m-train.jpg (10 KB, 250x214) Image search: [Google]
m-train.jpg
10 KB, 250x214
Why do people dress so badly now?
>>
>>531847
because this shit is too much work and impractical. if you don't work in an office you'd only be inconvenienced having to wear a suit everywhere
>>
Because wearing a suit every day is a pain in the arse
>>
>>531859
>>531866
Having a well-defined dresscode is more practical than picking out stupid outfits every day.
>>
>>531847
>Be 30's suitfaggot.
>Wear the same shit as with everybody else
Bad alright...
>>
>>531889
>Having a dresscode
Is not practical.

Just wear anything decent for your workplace and move on with life.
>>
IT'S POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD
>>
>>531847
Why did people in the olden days dress so mundane?
>>
>>531894
Dresscodes still exist, we're just not told as explicitly.

Fuck this anti-autist discrimination.
>>
File: edict.jpg (6 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
edict.jpg
6 KB, 275x183
>>531847
Pretty good question. Into main area people so lazy so do not wear hats.
May be television and ministry of culture should more care about that.
>>
Well-made cotton or wool suits are expensive, and synthetic suits are shit.
Fedoras are out of fashion.
Long coats are expensive too.
>>
Because people these days care more about comfort than appearances.
>>
I blame the hippies
>>
File: grayflannel.jpg (131 KB, 525x796) Image search: [Google]
grayflannel.jpg
131 KB, 525x796
They didn't exactly enjoy it.
>>
File: Boxer Codex-108.jpg (159 KB, 450x632) Image search: [Google]
Boxer Codex-108.jpg
159 KB, 450x632
>>531847
I live in a tropical country and cunts back then only wore suits because Colonial Masters told us too. That said, wearing them in this environment is shit

Shirt and trousers have always been our thing so its pretty much a return to something more natural.
>>
File: Negroes.jpg (124 KB, 1110x473) Image search: [Google]
Negroes.jpg
124 KB, 1110x473
North American culture, Usarican subculture have problems.
>>
>>531935

Nice cherrypicking. You've got a bunch of guys with PhDs compared with some thirteen year olds from south central LA.
>>
>>531928
Tbh, Modern Filipinos are doing it wrong. All of us.

Late 1800's/Early 1900's wore tropical suits that are not like the modern one. They are very airy for one thing and are colored white for the tropical sun.
>>
File: James-Bond-Suit-Fit.jpg (133 KB, 1200x650) Image search: [Google]
James-Bond-Suit-Fit.jpg
133 KB, 1200x650
>>531847

The main reason is it's easier simply to wear a presentable shirt and pair of pants/trousers.

Once dressing casually is acceptable for one man, suddenly the dam breaks. A lot of men wearing a suit did not especially enjoy it, so at the slightest opportunity to break ranks, they did.

So today, the suit is the preserve (mostly) of the finance industry, or weddings and church services for ordinary folk.

They don't even bother to give James Bond an English bespoke suit these days, it's Italian and off the rack.
>>
>>532340

I thought Tom Ford did Craig's stuff. Not that he's English.
>>
>>531866
How so?
>>
>>532340
Funnily enough, the suits in Kingsman looked better than the suits in the last few Bonds.
>>
>>531847
GULTURAL BARXISM :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
>>
>>531889
Then just wear the same shit every day. Plain shirts and pants are easy to come by.
>>
Fashion is a social construct
>>
>>531847
>Why do people dress so badly now?
>>
File: romecloth.jpg (26 KB, 500x215) Image search: [Google]
romecloth.jpg
26 KB, 500x215
>>531847
>>
>>532364
Not that guy but in my opinion:
-It is hot
-It is more constricting if it is a well fitting suit (maybe this is me just having shitty suits)
-Takes more maintenance than casual clothes (dry clean, ironing, etc)
-More expensive

Historical question: back when suits were standard how much did they cost relative to people's income? My main reason for not wearing them is my job doesn't require them and they'd cost like 4x what my jeans and shirt cost. Were they always this expensive?
>>
>declaring a subjective statement as truth

do you mean to say why do people dress less formal today? That's because societal pressures and acceptable fashion changes, and today it's becoming more casual on average. There are still plenty of industries where employees dress very formal, depending on the culture of the corporation. I've had jobs where I wore a suit and tie everyday and others where I just needed a polo shirt and khakis.

Also your idea that time and formality of fashion is correlated is silly. Look no further than college football in America, most CFB fans know that stadium attendees typically dress in super casual fan gear. Except for the college students in the Southeast. For whatever reason they tend to dress up like they're going to a fucking cocktail party. This is entirely based of peer pressure developing different trends in different areas.
>>
*tips f'dora*
>>
>>531889
Then have your own personal dresscode
>>
>>531847
Media made us slutty and trashy
>>
>>531944
>you've got a bunch of guys who plagiarized work for their PHDs and some thirteen year olds from L.A.
I see no difference
>>
>>531900
Olden days
Really?
>>
>>533177
>But it's a trash nation created by trash people so nothing unexpected really.

Does it ever get old being this butthurt about a country and a people that gives no fucks about you or even knows you exist?
>>
>>533012
>>533051
Are you implying that these two pics are not /fa/?
>>
>>531948
Looks nice und comfy
>>
Simple shirts, pants, etc. are easier to mass-produce than elaborate wardrobe and patterns, probably.
>>
File: fedora2.jpg (96 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
fedora2.jpg
96 KB, 1920x1080
>>531847
>>
I remember Arthur Machen bitching about how the fashion of the early 20th century was too casual and pleb compared to the 1800's in his autobiography.
>>
>>531847

The introduction of disposable low quality clothing with the fall of the clothing tariff barriers in the 1970s and 1980s. This provided the means for people to dress badly.

The consciousness around dressing badly was provided by a bourgeois idolisation of individual working class resistance in the 1960s (as opposed to collective). The motorcyclist, the rocker, the hippie and the drug dealer replaced the equivalent past celebrations of working class resisters: the nihilist, the labour man, the well dressed minstrel (I'm using this racist phrasing deliberately), the worker made good publican.

Why the bourgeoisie dress badly is because they're stupid slutty cunts who need to hire fashionistas to tell them how to look like prats. As a prole, I know how to look like a prat naturally.
>>
>>531847
A kiddie who never wears a suit and tie detected.
It's uncomfortable as fuck. Only thing good about wearing a suit is the pocket.
>>
>>531847
*tips*
>>
Is that how you dress, OP?
>>
>>534558
>It's uncomfortable as fuck. Only thing good about wearing a suit is the pocket.
You're wearing a suit that is over tailored. Suits prior to the 1960s were more about comfort than fashion.
>>
>>534666
That's true. Same for hats. Anyone who owns a working class hat from before the 1960's knows that it was made to be durable and worn all the time, basically like a baseball cap except much, much, much higher quality.
>>
>>534683
You can still get flat caps. It is harder to get a decent city hat though. Summer hats are impossible.

I find the best way to get a "suit" is a tweed jacket from the chinese industries and jeans.

People also forget, of course, that shirts used to have "clip on" collars and cuffs, and that most working class men were basically wearing a button up long sleeved t-shirt over their singlet, because they couldn't afford frogged cuffs and collars.
>>
>>531896
kek
>>
>>534713
Flat caps today are no where near as good. Not to drop a meme, but neither are fedoras.
>>
>>535300
My cap could be larger, but then again I live in a warm climate
>>
The Jews
>>
>>533051

>togas will never come back

If I find a lamp with a genie in it my three wishes would be peace on earth, good will towards man and for togas to return to fashion.
>>
File: 241.jpg (36 KB, 300x241) Image search: [Google]
241.jpg
36 KB, 300x241
>>535309
I mean they were very well ventilated, very durable, and you could shape them,you could twist or bend the bill into one shape and back again and it would stay, they'd last a lifetime etc. It's basically like comparing a pair of work shoes from then to a pair of basketball shoes today.
>>
>>531847
Kinda tangential to the point, but a dumbass in one of my classes thought a photo of striking workers in Italy during WWI was staged because all of them were wearing suits. He also kept droning on about whatever the fuck all the time.
>>
>>531847
If you showed that photo to the Victorians they would consider it just as uncouth. Long ties were not in fashion and an unstarched collar without a properly fitted waste-coat was the mark of a vagrant. These people legit look liek hobos from just a generation back.
>>
According to Heraclitus: "Everything is flux".

Society is no different as it also undergoes changes, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse.

You could argue public dress codes also fall under this.

And like other posters have stated, if you showed that picture to the Romans or Victorians they would think the same thing as you.
>>
>>535795
This point deteriorates once you take into account culture.

Suit and tie in a modernistic culture is more formal than Victorian garb in a Victorian culture.

However, sweat pants and hoodies in a contemporary culture is absolutely impoverished compared to what you think 'suit and tie in a Victorian culture' would be.

There is no real way around the fact that fashion has collapsed in on itself. Not in the sense that people don't dress 'fashionably', but that the whole idea of dressing nice has atrophied.

As an example, anons in this thread are going off about how suits are uncomfortable. How they're over-restrictive and unbreathable. But if you had the serotonin flowing through your mind from believing that you were 'dressing nice', you wouldn't even notice. You would just feel above it. In the same way as when you were a child restless in your bed and you began to notice every last itch on your body as opposed to feeling actually tired where things of that nature don't even surface and you fall fast asleep.

That is to say, that people suffer from a lack of pride in the way they dress these days. This is further confirmed when, as there is no pride, there is no shame, and so people dress outrageously, almost as if the closest they can get to ugly is what they feel is fashionable.

Modern fashion is a lot what collapse looks like.
>>
>>535896
I would agree that this applies to the middle and lower classes today, but I think it directly correlates to class-consciousness.

The New Middle Class in the western world has been taught to shun "snobbishness" and upper-class airs unlike in the past when behaving and dressing as respectably as those above you was a sign of civility.

If you go to a more class-perceptive society like say a New York or London firm and want to be taken seriously you would be dressing in suits or dresses. Same goes for politics or high-brow entertainment.

I think that OUR sharp dresses do live up to past standards, with the exception of forgoing hats altogether and occasionally not having a suit fitted to measure.

Women in any respectable function or event tend to dress in period appropriate formality for the most part, more so than men even.
>>
>>535922
I'm obviously speaking in terms of averages. Not just what can exist but what 'does' exist.

What you're saying is like looking at parts of an organism which a cancer has yet to metastasise and claiming that the cancer therefore doesn't exist. Obviously the most robust portions of that organism will be the last to metastasise.

When you look at the bigger picture, what I'm saying becomes undeniably true.
>>
>>535976
I'm not disagreeing with you, I am just saying its related to cultural attitudes towards "classiness" which includes manner of dress. Its not that we don't have comparable "high" dressing standards, simple that we do apply those standards to our day-to-day life because it would come off as supercilious to others.

In formal dress scenarios the opposite is true, but the average person rarely is put into that social position so is unaccustomed to that manner of dress.
>>
>>531847
I don't think people should be walking around in suits all the time but the lack of decorum is astounding. Every time I go to Mass, I see people in t-shirts, shorts, jeans, short dresses, heels, etc. They have no sense of propriety.

Protestant "churches" are even worse a lot of the time. I have seen people walk out of Protestant churches in sports jerseys.
>>
>>535992
The point is decline, is it not?

That the circumstances have become increasingly sparse is indicative of it.

So I don't see your point.
>>
>>535922
Those who work for the best firms aren't "one of us."
>>
>>536004
I guess all I was trying to say was that it was an zoo animal rather than a completely extinct animal. All the pieces are there it just takes a social swing back towards conservative standards of daily dress rather than muh speshial snowflake expression. The irony being that snowflake hipsters would be the first to revert to this level of dressiness and be ridiculed for being nu-fedora.
>>
>>533073
>Were they always this expensive?
Probably not so much. You see, look at your gramps old pictures and even working-class men thru the western world had a couple of suits at least.
The difference is that
1. Man-hours were cheaper, so you'd had more tailors and related occupations per capita.
2. There were cheap fabrics as much as they exist today.
So you see men that can afford some level of tailoring while keeping the costs down by using cheap fabrics. Today you can't have the first.
>>
File: striking workers 1919.jpg (755 KB, 1600x800) Image search: [Google]
striking workers 1919.jpg
755 KB, 1600x800
>>537972
take a look at this pic. Quintessential working class men, all clad in suits. The difference is that the fabric on those suits probably was the cheapest one.
>>
You're crying over spilt milk but I understand it. The sad part is that the majority of society would probably love to go back to 1950s and before fashion. Every guy I know loves wearing suits and things like 50s pinup fashion and 20s flapper styles are worshipped by women now. The problem is that there is no way to return to that level of decorum without it being artificial and weird. The first casual dressers were greasy hairy hippies and were berated for their choices much like the average greasy hairy fedoralord would be today.
>>
>>538014
>The difference is that the fabric on those suits probably was the cheapest one.
I think that one issue is that the least expensive fabrics then are not the least expensive fabrics now. Those suits were probably still 100% wool, whereas now the cheapest are shitty looking polyester blends. It's impossible for wool prices to compete with the prices of fabrics that you can make by mixing two chemicals that are byproducts of refining crude oil. Similarly for the hats, those hats are a lot nicer than most of the hats fedoralords wear just by the nature of their production.

Another issue is that these men had wives, sisters, daughters or tailor friends who could alter their suits so they don't look like complete shit. That there's no longer as big a focus on women learning that type of thing, clothing like that gets more impractical and expensive to wear and maintain.
>>
>>533012
>>533051
I would like to wear these clothes instead of modern bland styles
>>
>muh golden age thinking
>"i was born in le wrong generation!!!!

kill yourselves.
>>
>>540571
This.
>>
>>540560
>I would like to wear these clothes instead of modern bland styles
>a roman tunic, literally the blandest piece of clothing in western history
>>
>>540571
>Writes comment on youtube video of music from before their time
>I'm only ___ years old, but I still think ___'s songs are way better than any of the crap from my time!
>>
>>541310
>youtube
25 year rule.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.