[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Were muslims and christians breaking even in the high middle ages ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6
File: dark ages95.jpg (216 KB, 1000x800) Image search: [Google]
dark ages95.jpg
216 KB, 1000x800
Were muslims and christians breaking even in the high middle ages ?
>>
>>531806
Not even close. Your pictures is also misleading considering the Muslim building is 700 years older than its Christian counterpart.

Islam being a system of governance quickly expanded and united lands that had been some of the richest in the Roman Empire (east and west) and the entire area of the sassanid empire. They simply had a better infrastructure at their disposal.
>>
File: Destroing mosque.jpg (84 KB, 650x487) Image search: [Google]
Destroing mosque.jpg
84 KB, 650x487
Best islam is dead islam.
>>
>>531806

Yes, Christians took over the lead by late 1100s. Afterwards, there was a transmission of inventions from Europe into the middle east, not the other way around.

>>532119
>the Muslim building

Dude, Dome of the Rock was built by Byzantine craftsmen and is considered a masterpiece of Byzantine architecture.
>>
>>532119

I would say breaking even or Islam edging it by 1200.

You've got Venice and Constantinople at their height, the University of Paris, and Medieval Gothic.

Fifty years later you have the Mongols rampaging across the Middle East and Aquinas writing in the West, much indebted to Al-Ghazali as he was.
>>
>>531806
This picture is bullshit.

The Dome of the Rock (above) was built before the islamic golden age unless you use a very unorthodox definition. This meme that the islamic Golden Age begins with islam has to stop.

Gothic style started to be a thing when the Dark Ages were no more. You will find different chronological limits for our Dark Ages, but no longer is it applied for the whole of the Medieval period. If it was for me, it would not be used at all.
>>
>>532184

>The Dome of the Rock (above) was built before the islamic golden age

This. I'm pretty sure it was built during a period of civil war
>>
>gothic
>dark ages

jesus christ delete this thread
>>
>>532119
>>
File: mecca.jpg (20 KB, 236x299) Image search: [Google]
mecca.jpg
20 KB, 236x299
>>533297
>>
>>531806
They were both just carrying the torch that the Greek passed on.
>>
File: Mecca.jpg (2 MB, 5616x3744) Image search: [Google]
Mecca.jpg
2 MB, 5616x3744
>>533297
1400 years later
>>
>>533384
Praise be to their real god, America, the Whore of Babylon.
>>
>>533490
hows America the whore of babylon
>>
Something perhaps to bear in mind is that Islamic architecture, whilst hard to design, wasn't that hard to build. Cathedrals in the St Denis pattern, however, are a lot trickier.
>>
I would say in High Middle Ages, Islamic Empire was taking the lead, both in power and in culture-science etc, with ERE following after and Europe being the last.

You can erect a thousand cathedrals 100 times bigger than the largest mosque on earth, It doesnt mean shit. Arabs have Burj Khalifa do does that make them the greatest civilization now?

It was arab and greek texts that were translated in latin, not the other way around. It is very clear who was superior.
>>
>>536837
>Arabs have Burj Khalifa do does that make them the greatest civilization now?
Am, am, Westerners have built every modern city in Arabia.

How can you be this ignorant?
>>
>>533384
>The twin ackbarer.
>>
File: Adrian-Smith,-Kingdom-Tower2.jpg (49 KB, 800x550) Image search: [Google]
Adrian-Smith,-Kingdom-Tower2.jpg
49 KB, 800x550
>>536867

this was meant for you
>>536887

pic related is the tallest building in the world and architect, designed by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.