[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If he was nationalistic and liberal Why did he created an empire
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: Napoleon_-_2.jpg (201 KB, 841x1200) Image search: [Google]
Napoleon_-_2.jpg
201 KB, 841x1200
If he was nationalistic and liberal

Why did he created an empire with Catalans, Dutch Germans and Italians?

Germans from Lorraine don't apply since they are French wannabes

Also it's wrong to find Napoleon good looking in his young pictures?
>>
>>529614
France's survival depended on the spread on Enlightenment ideas. France's chances of pulling off the Revolutionary Wars again would not be so good. As such, France needed to expand to gain more fighters and resources.
>>
>>529614
>Also it's wrong to find Napoleon good looking in his young pictures?
You'd be wrong if you didn't.
>>
>>529614
Feel free to tear me to shreds if this is wrong, but I remember him saying he would give Poland a national Identity and tried to do the same by unifying Germany
>>
File: img.jpg (138 KB, 1119x700) Image search: [Google]
img.jpg
138 KB, 1119x700
>>529644
so literally blobbing?
>>
>>529657
the Rhinebund and the duchy and Warsaw were a thing, also Napoleonic Italy

What were his views on the Irish and Ireland?
>>
>>529644
Do enlightenment ideals entail putting installing monarchs and creating dynastic succession? I have a really hard time seeing how Napoleon was still considered a republican by the time of his death.
>>
Napoleon's Empire was more or less Proto-fascism as I see it. Nationalist, centrally planned when needed but also had free markets, violent if necessary, propaganda, charismatic leader. He was 'liberal' so far as it was good for the nation but not really a pure believer like Jefferson.
>>
>>530920
Code Napoleon
>>
>>530956
Fascism usually doesn't destroy traditional institutions, gives civil rights to minorities, modernizes the bureaucracy, etc.
There is a specific name for this regime, which is Bonapartism. Using Fascism in this context as anachronistic at best.
>>
>>531025
That doesn't make any of what I just said untrue.
>>
>>531029
> Fascism usually doesn't destroy traditional institutions, gives civil rights to minorities, modernizes the bureaucracy, etc.
You're right on the second point but not really on the first and not at all on the third.
Bonapartism is not fascism but it's not shocking to call it proto-fascism.
>>
>>529657

>but I remember him saying he would give Poland a national Identity

And in private and in his diary he admitted he had absolutely no intention of granting Polish statehood. Napoleon played the Poles like a fiddle and they were loyal to the end. He really fucked them over.

shake my head to be honest family
>>
>>531427
He didn't have time to fuck them over.
>>
>>529614
Napoleon was literally god. He was the Kanye of his era.
>>
>>531424
What do you mean "minorities" and what do you mean "civil rights".

Because fascism does give civil rights to minorities, but it also strongly compels them to assimilate fully into the national culture.
>>
>>531676
reminder that Napoleon was not French, he was Italian
>>
File: Marquis_de_Sade_portrait.jpg (229 KB, 500x492) Image search: [Google]
Marquis_de_Sade_portrait.jpg
229 KB, 500x492
>>529614
>liberal
He inprisoned people for writing books that he considered immoral.
>>
>>529614
He thought creating nation-states would be far more easy to control than unstable states, that's why he partitioned Spain and other cunts
>>
>>532249
He was a Corsican (=/= Italian) who grew up in France
>>
>>532941
His family is from Genoa, France got Corsica just 1 year before Napoleon was born, he learnt French when he was like 15 and his real name was Napoleone di Buonaparte. He was Italian as fuck
>>
>>530920
>Do enlightenment ideals entail putting installing monarchs and creating dynastic succession?
France's survival depended on it.
>>
>>533069
Italians don't win wars, though
>>
>>532426
he was still liberal by the standards of his day
>>
>>531424
What traditional institutions does fascism destroy? Mussolini had a pact with the church.
>>
>>533079
No it didn't.

Actually, had he installed a republic in spain instead of his brother as king, the rebellions would have been easier to put down and he might have been able to use troops and ressources wasted there to win in russia or germany.
>>
File: reppin.jpg (238 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
reppin.jpg
238 KB, 1200x900
Napoleon changed to whatever suited him desu brethren. Best ruler of his time. Just got this from his Egyptian expedition this week.
>>
>>529614
Taking over Dutch and German areas was more a protective measure against Brits invading over the North Sea rather than a long-term expansion of France.

Italians on the other hand had a lot to do with the fact that Napoleon was essentially an Italian. Additionally Catalans are about as French as Occitans so you may as well stick them in the empire too.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.