[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm not sure exactly where this question belongs but how
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 1441268025314.png (343 KB, 671x1047) Image search: [Google]
1441268025314.png
343 KB, 671x1047
I'm not sure exactly where this question belongs but how exactly do nations eliminate both high level and petty corruption (Not to say that there is no corruption in Western nations but as far as I know petty corruption is largely extinct)? It seems to me that corruption is one of the biggest problems facing developing countries so my question is, how did Western countries manage to eliminate it? To add a further element, how was it dealt with in the past, in the Roman Empire or Qin China or any major civilization or note?

Pic unrelated.
>>
File: maki_-7.jpg (30 KB, 480x357) Image search: [Google]
maki_-7.jpg
30 KB, 480x357
>>528508
>Pic unrelated.
>>
File: maki big.png (433 KB, 1140x1156) Image search: [Google]
maki big.png
433 KB, 1140x1156
>Pic unrelated
>>
I wondered the same, so here's a non-cute bump.
>>
>>528665
Seconded. Here is a serious bump
>>
The west has by no means eliminated high level corruption, but low level corruption can be addressed at least in part by making sure civil servants etc have a reliable, adequate source of income and so don't turn to corruption
>>
If you want to read up on a country which handles and exterminates corruption: Study Iceland.

I'm not well-versed but I know Iceland is the least corrupted country in the world. Maybe because it's so small... Or because the climate is harsh.

There are theories that if the climate is pleasant (ex. Italy) people can put up with more shitty corruption than otherwise. In a harsh climate (ex. Iceland) people have enough shit as it is, and get down to whatever process it is that you're wondering about...

Sorry for not answering your question, but I hope this input is somewhat relevant to your quest for information. Also best girl. I approve OP.
>>
>>528508
The West didn't eliminate corruption
It simply eleminated the concept that Killing for Political Gains is ever justified
>>
>>528508
The West has only gotten rid of wide-scale corruption, which is just a rule. For example, during December, the Charbonneau Commission in Quebec determined that there was systemic corruption at the higher levels of the mayoral offices around Montreal.

I believe that low-level corruption is mostly a non-issue in Western Countries because
A. Most workers are generally happy with their jobs and their governments.
B. They are paid satisfactorily enough that accepting bribes is not a matter of survival.
C. There is a sincere pride in their nations in most Western countries. Of course that is not reflected in the neckbear demographic of 4chan.

Most people also tend to think that their government is there to help them, or at least doesn't actively oppress them.
>>
Who's this semen gobbler?
>>
Strict separation of powers and rule of law
Transparency, especially in lobbying
Cultural values of meritocracy over nepotism (compare Scandinavia to India for example)
Freedom of speech and press
Less elbow room for discretion
Widespread civilian ownership and official use of recording technology
Externally verified anti-corruption programs for business and internal affairs within law enforcement
Sufficient outlets for civilians to report misconduct
Harsh punishments and reliable prosecution for bribery, extortion, embezzlement
A diverse economy that isn't based almost entirely on monopolistic cash crops or natural resources
Effective border control
Low crime rates
>>
>>528508
>how did Western countries manage to eliminate it?
Hide and seek, oh, no, hide and keep.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.