[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Austria-Hungary
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9
File: Austro-Hungarian flag.png (4 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
Austro-Hungarian flag.png
4 KB, 275x183
What does /his/ think of Austria-Hungary's role during the First World War? Do you think they contributed to the Central Powers or not? I'm really interested in hearing your opinion on this.
>>
They suffered a similar fuckup as Germans in the beginning, name had to suddenly redeploy divisions from Balkans to Russia.

However how they held the frontline in the Alps, consistently outnumbered against Italy is commendable.
>>
>>528504
They did pretty badly, being wrecked in Italy as well as the Russian front. Even the Ottomans ] had more victories IIRC
>>
File: Capture.jpg (144 KB, 658x520) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
144 KB, 658x520
They got absolutely BTFO by Serbs initially, until Potiorek got replaced and Germans stepped into the fray.
>>
File: 1452011953426.jpg (546 KB, 1181x591) Image search: [Google]
1452011953426.jpg
546 KB, 1181x591
Hungary ruined it because they refused to recognize Croatia and treated non Hungarians harshly
>>
File: Hotzendorf.jpg (13 KB, 225x270) Image search: [Google]
Hotzendorf.jpg
13 KB, 225x270
Their leadership, notably Conrad von Hotzendorf, proved incompetent at times.
>>
>>528827

>t. Ante
>>
>>528714
if I recall correctly, AH has three mobilization plans - against Serbia, Russia and Italy (their ally btw) and they suddenly had to switched from one to another.
>>
File: shitaly.jpg (990 KB, 2170x1450) Image search: [Google]
shitaly.jpg
990 KB, 2170x1450
>>528725
>being wrecked in Italy
No?
Italy had only front and couldn't manage a breakthrough until AH was collapsing.
>>
>Conrad von Hötzendorf

Lel
>>
After A-H why people still support multiculturalism?
>>
>>528849
Hey Indy, how's the show going?
>>
>>529788
A-H did not give rights to other nationalities.
>>
>>530152
Get a load of this bullshit.

Kingdom of Croatia for example, was an autonomous, separate administrative unit with it's representatives in Austrian parliament.

It was the rapid rise of Hungarian nationalism (A direct response to Germanization) that decentralized and ultimately broke the state down.
>>
>>528827
Hungarian here.

This is probably one of my biggest history related laments. I bitch about Hungary's shit luck throughout history but we made our bed, and our poor fortune only made us bigger assholes. We should have spent our existence cultivating good relations with our neighbors instead of messing with them.
>>
>>528504
They were stupid germans, it really dosn't matter, they just lost as always.
>>
>>528504
Well, they were a better ally for Germany in than Italy was in WW2. But that's a pretty low bar.
>>
File: dual%20monarchy.jpg (395 KB, 1888x1133) Image search: [Google]
dual%20monarchy.jpg
395 KB, 1888x1133
>>528504
Austria Hungary was a ticking time bomb. TBQH HItler was totally right about it.

I say that unironically.

How could the clusterfuck of pic related even expect to unify and fight and not blow up internally.

If none of you have read Mein Kampf I'll just summarize briefly.

Habsburg empire expands east and gains control over non-german nations.

This is good for the habsburg monarchy because of increased wealth power and prestige.

This is also during a time of nationslism and democracy.

The Germans living in Austria-hungary want different things than hungarians and other smaller groups.

The habsburgs attempt to ease tensins by giving more power to minorities and take it away from germans.

They ally with German empire, a natural ally, and appear to be very strong but internally Habsburgs barely have control.

HItler sees why Monarchy fails the right wing. Normally Monarchy works because the king's best interest are inline with the nations best interest. Eventually though the king's best interest will be dfferent than the nations. In this case the Habsburgs needed a multicultural empire but german austrians felt betrayed and slavs and serbs and hungarians felt the same way. When the war broke out the empire just collapsed.

But thats why Fascism rejects monarchy.
>>
>>529788
A-H did not have multiculturalism.
>>
>>531020
>mein kampf
>legit historical source

In reality there were no serious secession movements right until ~1916 and the empire was certainly not in a state of "barely controlled" or in any kind of decline at all, this is all post-war little entente rhetoric to justify their massive territorial gains and to establich an easily understandable narrative of decline - > collapse - > partition.

Anyway your whole post is plain bullshit.

Habsburg Empire expanded way before the age of nationalism, during the 1500s-1600s.
>The Germans living in Austria-hungary want different things than hungarians and other smaller groups.
The nations themselves couldn't give less shit, it was all a power game of the political groups - the habsburg dynasty, hungarian and croatian nobles and intellectuals of other minorities.
>>
>>529092
And that pic doesnt even include the 12th battle, aka "Miracle at Kobarid", where the italian army completely broke and A-H advanced until Piava river
>>
>>531020
Hitler was surprisingly right about a few things.

For example, he also stated that in a democracy the probability of getting a politician that works in the public interest is low, and that's why Fascism was needed, to him.

But anyway, back to the topic: Austria-Hungary was indeed a cluster-fuck of nations and people that couldn't agree,
I think that's why they wanted to annex Serbia in 1914, in order to exercise the control the monarchy felt it was lacking.
>>
They should have properly annexed the countries instead of letting nationalism fester. Now we have a bunch of small countries that nobody cares about instead of a major European player.
>>
Austro-Hungarian revival when?
>>
>>531752
never, it was an anachronism in the 19th century already, no need to revive it now or ever

>>531730

>the probability of getting a politician that works in the public interest is low, and that's why Fascism was needed
>Hitler was surprisingly right about a few things.

uhhh, read that again and consider what you wrote
>>
>>531789
I didn't say that Hitler was the guy that could save everybody.

But he was right in saying that a lot (but not all) of democratic politicians only work in their own interest and not the public's.
>>
>>531807
well, okay, but at this point, you've butchered down the sentence to a somewhat general truth
>>
>>531020
This might just be the stupidest post I have yet encountered.
>>
>>531752
We can hope, brother.
>>
>>530152
It's literally called Austria-Hungary. The Dual Monarchy.
>>
>>531856
>>531789

Hitler was wrong about literally everything REEEEEEEEEE

whats it like to be so biased?
>>
File: Large-projector.jpg (67 KB, 800x502) Image search: [Google]
Large-projector.jpg
67 KB, 800x502
>>532439
>>
>>532439
It's not wrong because it's Hitler. It's wrong because it's historically illiterate.
>>
>le breakup was inevitable meme

How does it feel to parrot 100 year old Entente propaganda, faggots?
>>
File: panslavism aint free.png (92 KB, 1389x1101) Image search: [Google]
panslavism aint free.png
92 KB, 1389x1101
>>532473
>>
>>531020
I really doubt on that pic.
I doubt there were more slovenes than serbo-croats in A-H
>>
>>528504
Austria-hungary should have join the German Confederation
>>
The Archduke got rekted
>>
>>530624
Past is the past, Hungobro.

At least your women are pretty hot
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.