[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best /his/torical fiction
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 9
File: tumblr_n5s46lhkso1ro4t7go1_500.jpg (129 KB, 500x717) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n5s46lhkso1ro4t7go1_500.jpg
129 KB, 500x717
Les rois maudits
Pillars of the earth
I claudius
Julian
Quo vadis
>>
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 319x475) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 319x475
>>527827
My name is red is a pretty good book on the Osmanli empire
>>
Historical fiction thread? May have to to /thread/ it in the bud.
>>
>>527827

Anyone know of historical fiction on (any of) the persian empire?

I just finished The Long War by Christian Cameron and loved showing them as actual people and not the evil baddies so often shown from the european perspective.
>>
File: Cedric_the_Saxon.jpg (102 KB, 349x601) Image search: [Google]
Cedric_the_Saxon.jpg
102 KB, 349x601
>>527827
Ivanhoe.
>>
My favorite movie is Lawrence of Arabia and my favorite tv show is Rome. Give me something to watch.
>>
File: kaamelott.jpg (335 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
kaamelott.jpg
335 KB, 1024x768
>>
SINUHE THE EGYPTIAN

mindbogglingly good
>>
Sienkiewicz's Trilogy
>>
File: Master and Commander.jpg (28 KB, 312x475) Image search: [Google]
Master and Commander.jpg
28 KB, 312x475
>>528903
/thread

Patrick O'brian by far the best fiction I've ever read.
>>
is Hillary Mantell worth reading?
>>
>>529000
Ivanhoe is moralizing bullshit transposing polite Victorian sensibilities and modern nationalism onto characters from the 12th century
It's also boring as fuck

Sorry I can't enjoy it, theres much better historical fiction out there. A personal favourite is Spartacus by fast and the Kubrick film
>>
>>529070
John Adams
>>
>>527827
les mis is bretty good
>>
>>529173
She's a proper literary writer, but I always felt people liked Wolf Hall etc because it was historical fiction you can read in polite society. Historical fiction as a genre is looked down on a lot, and Hillary Mantel is the acceptable-middle-class-prize-winning face of it. Kind of like how your mother might like that one Eminem song, but she's hardly going to start listening to GZA
>>
File: Richelieu and Mazarin.png (1 MB, 938x599) Image search: [Google]
Richelieu and Mazarin.png
1 MB, 938x599
The Three Musketeers
Twenty Years After
The Viscount of Bragelonne
Ten Years Later
Louise de la Valliere
The Man in the Iron Mask
>>
Is there any such thing as fantastical historical fiction? I don't mean some shit like aliens abducting crusaders or Nazi occult magic or retards going back in time to the English civil war, I mean stuff like the Arabian Nights but set in Europe or Asia and written within the past couple centuries preferably.
>>
>>530019
Game of thrones
>>
File: 81lIln5pTDL.jpg (352 KB, 907x1360) Image search: [Google]
81lIln5pTDL.jpg
352 KB, 907x1360
>>527827
>>
>>531046
>le zombies are popular I better write books about it.
>>
>>527827
I know this is more /wsr/ but can anyone provide a proper dl link for the accursed kings?
All the torrents I've found have them either shitilly formatted (random breaks in texts, random commas that break the flow of the sentence) or just don't work at all
>>
>>531098
Just buy them nigger
>>
File: 1104162005_0.jpg (11 KB, 194x316) Image search: [Google]
1104162005_0.jpg
11 KB, 194x316
Highly underrated in the English-speaking world.
>>
>>530019
It's called Historical Fantasy. It's quite a popular fantasy subset. Most Arthurian fiction is Historical Fantasy.

I recommend Latro In The Mist.
>>
>>531130
Don't have them in my country
>>
>>527827
BBC's Elizabeth R is pretty cool
>>
>>527827
The Killer Angels/Gettysburg
All Quiet on the Western Front
Lion in Winter
The Source
>>
>>530019
I'd like to know if there's such a thing as non-magic historical fantasy

Like fiction in the vain of having a period setting, but fantastical in the sense that it's set in a world with fictional empires, wars and geography, but no god damn magic or dragons.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.