[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Apocalypse
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: hqdefault-4.jpg (37 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault-4.jpg
37 KB, 480x360
I didn't know where to take this but figured you guys could best answer it. Can you break down in chronological order and put into layman's terms the events of the Abrahamic (jewish, christian and muslim) end-time prophesies? Reading directly from the bible and koran can get pretty confusing and I don't trust most interpretations I find from less than trustworthy sites. Can you guys tell me what the actually source material says but in a simple way?
>>
File: 1451053130714.jpg (628 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
1451053130714.jpg
628 KB, 1000x1500
>>525040
>>
>>525040
I can't really say my rabbis have ever talked about the end of times and they don't believe in a literal messanism so yeah you die and then that's it.

Though I tend to eschew oral torah and tune out that shit they cow up with desu.
>>
>>525918
Don't jews have an equivalent of the resurrection before the judgement?
>>
>>525918
>your rabbanim don't believe in a literal messianism
Reformfag detected
>>
>>526588
And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt. -Daniel 12:2
>>
>>525040

Of course it is confusing and nonsensical, that is because it all a load of old crap.

Make up any interpretation you like, it will be just as valid as one made up by the greatest and wisest theologian that ever lived.
>>
>>526632
Okay so what is the generally accepted timeline then?
>>
>>525040
>Can you guys tell me what the actually source material says but in a simple way?
It is like Ragnarok and Titanomachy. Purpose of apocalypse myths is keep donkeys into religious flock, and personages of apocalypse simply as guard dog.
For priests change of religion terrible stress, and they use apocalypse myths as guard dog.
>>
File: daniels_70th_week_chart[1].jpg (2 MB, 3456x2303) Image search: [Google]
daniels_70th_week_chart[1].jpg
2 MB, 3456x2303
>>526739
>>
>>526750
gtfo with steven anderson's bs
>>
>>526748
>It is like Ragnarok and Titanomachy. Purpose of apocalypse myths is keep donkeys into a religious flock, and personages of apocalypse simply as an guard dog.
>For priests change of an religion terrible stress, and they use apocalypse myths as the guard dog.
>>
>>526739

Any time now if ISIS is to be believed. 2000 years ago if Jesus is to be believed. Various times in the past according to various cults.

Meh, like I say, just make something up, you'll fit right in, religious people love that shizzle.
>>
>>526756

>le ISIS and random cults are the same as Jesus maymay

if you took more than 10 seconds to read the Koran, you would see its a bunch of nonsense.. same with mormonism, same with scientology.

christianity and the Bible is clearly the only possible true religion.. i'm not saying it's guaranteed to be true, but it's the only one that could be
>>
>>526773
as an ex-muslim, whilst i was on a spritiual journey i read the bible and my god, there is some...disturbing things written in that thing, on par with the qur'an.
>>
>>526756
>ISIS

OP here. From what I hear they are supposed to be the gathering army that that the anti-christ (one eyed man) eventually leads. It's been known that evangelical christians have been trying to force the apocalypse for some time. Is it possible some governments or those in positions of power gave been trying the same for whatever reason?
>>
File: lol24.jpg (474 KB, 1800x1200) Image search: [Google]
lol24.jpg
474 KB, 1800x1200
>>526773

Kek.

My sides.
>>
>>526784

George W Bush apparently thought Gog and Magog were in the Middle East, which would mean he thinks biblical prophecies were playing out and the end times is on us and that he was playing his part by invading Iraq.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/andrewbrown/2009/aug/10/religion-george-bush
>>
isn't ISIS following some prophecy that says they will bring about the apocalypse by fighting the "armies of rome" (to them, the entire western world) in syria?
>>
File: Heretics of Dune.jpg (8 KB, 180x279) Image search: [Google]
Heretics of Dune.jpg
8 KB, 180x279
>>526773
Where is visible angels, djinns? Where is yours prophets of this century? Where is your god now? May be they simply overrated spirits, simply overrated ghosts or just a mental illusion?
>>
>>526784
>for whatever reason

the apocalypse is desirable. it's the beginning of the new world and the reunification with god
>>
>>526799

That's my understanding of it, this is a great article about ISIS and their beliefs,

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/03/what-isis-really-wants/384980/

It made me chuckle to read that when they were still part of AQ fighting in Iraq the AQ leadership had to tell them to stop trying to make strategic plans based on when they thought the Mahdi would appear.
>>
>>526632

This.

I advice you to do something more interesting / productive / fun, etc...
>>
Don't be discouraged.
>>
>mfw there are people who take the book of revelation seriously
stop this
>>
>mfw people don't take the book of Revelation seriously
Stop this
>>
When will the third temple be built? Isreal is already an established state with control of the region.
>>
>>526883
Never said I took it seriously. I was just asking for a simple run down.
>>
>>526748
Wasn't the apocalypse used as a precursor to Christianity by those seeking to convert those who believed in old Norse?
>>
>>526970
We have to get rid of the Al-Aqsa mosque.
>>
>>526976
What kind of rubdown?
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.