[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If society owes me nothing then why do I owe society?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: comfy.png (14 KB, 426x364) Image search: [Google]
comfy.png
14 KB, 426x364
If society owes me nothing then why do I owe society?
>>
Because you are biopower meant to be exploited by your owners.
>>
>>524692
foucault pls.
lay off 4chan and go suck some guys dick in some public bathroom
>>
>>524695
>not posting on a Ethiopian embroidery forum inbetween working the gloryhole in the truck stop
Go home newfag, you're not posting right
>>
>>524689
you don't

Who the fuck thinks they do?
>>
Because you are made safer by society. Because of society you can buy food and luxuries that you yourself could likely never produce and given security and services you likely couldn't provide yourself.

Those are the inherit benefits of being part of a society in exchange for playing by the rules and doing your part to keep that society going.
>>
>>524710
That;s bullshit and you know it. We lived fine without society for millennia.
>>
You owe society and its owes you things.
>>
>>524714
>humans
>living without a society
you mean cities or governments or political systems. societies are older than humans, it's an animal thing.
>>
>>524714
Social structures are older than humans and a large part of our success and survival.

The fuck are you on about?
>>
>>524725
>>524732

I think that's stretching it. Early, early society was more of an extended family
>>
>>524736
if we go by the simplest definition of society, then society definitely predates Homo Sapiens. It predates Homo Habilis and Australopithecus really
>>
>>524743
That's fine and technically accurate but I feel like it goes against what OP probably meant; a modern society with social nets, institutions, services etc.
>>
>>524736
Humans are naturally social creatures with undeniable social tendencies and have been for our entire evolutionary track.

>>524758
OP never specified and his question isn't limited to what you attribute to modern society.
>>
>>524710
>Because you are made safer by society. Because of society you can buy food and luxuries that you yourself could likely never produce and given security and services you likely couldn't provide yourself.

Emphatically wrong.

Society is what made people useless in the first place by forcing people's dependence on the state. For the vast majority of human existence people were readily capable of fending for themselves in the manner you described.

It's circular reasoning. Society makes you useless therefore since you're useless you need society. But it still doesn't answer OP's question. To what extent am I in debt to society? I would say I directly owe nothing to anyone but my parents.
>>
>>524785
People were capable of fending for themselves but without society you wouldn't be able to type this out and communicate it to the world.

You can thank society for giving humans the ability to mass education, resources, and labor to advance technology so quickly which would be nearly impossible without such a large social structure.
>>
>>524800
You're assuming all of those are a net positive for me and the race. Not everyone believes as such
>>
>>524805
They are net positives for the race whether you think so or not. As it stands humans have established the single greatest wealth and exchange of knowledge in human history.

One could argue that we have perhaps out paced our own tendencies and ways of thinking with technological advancement, but the advancement itself is certainly a positive.

Regardless, if you're happier being a bush person you are more than welcome to go. I admire it. But society does have inherit benefits and humanity as a whole knows what it does and has survived for as long as it has because of social structures.
>>
You don't owe it anything. Society doesn't exist. It's an idea, and you can't owe ideas anything.

That said, making your way in a fashion that's comfortable and fulfilling for you will likely be beneficial to society regardless, since most people want pretty ordinary shit out of life.
>>
>>524785
>people capable of fending by themselves
>hunting
>gathering
>being pregnant 9 months and having a useless proto person around for years
nah, society has been there since we were monkeys. that's how we survive even though we are slower, weaker and less capable than most predators. we are even worse than monkeys since we can't even climb like them and hold on to our parents from birth.

I agree we have too much society right now, or that it is too big at least, but societies are how we survive.
>>
because without society we wouldn't be able to shitpost on 4chan while taking a dump.
>>
>>524823
And how is it a net positive if there are some people who are genuinely willing to go against natural instinct, which includes taking their own life?
>>
>>524689
Society may or may not owe you anything, but it actually gives you a lot of stuff. For one, you probably live in a society that guarantees your 30+ human rights.

You have access to free education, welfare, public libraries, public sanitation systems, you drive on public roads, you go hiking in public parks, you're kept safe by a huge assortment of various paramiltary groups and EMS's, your nation is protected by a military. And this is just the stuff that your government provides for you, not society as a whole.

So, by existing and taking advantages, you actually owe society a ton of money. Up to about 40% your lifetime earnings, in some people's opinion.
>>
You would not. People that say things like that are fools that haven't thought things through and are trying to force you to be something.

Living in a society that owed you nothing would be like being captive in a hostile tribe.
>>
>>524689
Society must be defended.
>>
>>525058
I'm sorry can you rephrase this question because I think I'm misunderstanding you.

My initial reaction is that question is immensely stupid and you don't know what "net positive" means but I think I'm missing your point.
>>
>>524689
you owe nothing to society, but that doesn't mean society won't take what it needs from you
>>
>>524689
You don't owe them anything. But the majority will take what it wants from you. This is the tyranny of groups.
>>
>>524689
Society guarantees you certain rights.
>>
>>525938
That's be the state mate.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.