[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Greek the only European language which doesn't fall into
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2
File: greek-flag.jpg (168 KB, 1200x802) Image search: [Google]
greek-flag.jpg
168 KB, 1200x802
Is Greek the only European language which doesn't fall into a larger cultural group?
>>
>what is basque
>>
>>524556

So is Basque not Romance? Where does it come from then?
>>
>>524556
This. Albanian too.

>>524559
It's a language isolate, probably a remnant of pre Indo-European languages spoken in Europe.
>>
>>524541
Hungarian
>>
European language as in corresponding to autochthonous populace, or European as in belonging to current composition of European nationalities and countries?

Either way, Finnish and Hungarian, among some of the borderline extinct languages of the Baltic region would not fall into any larger groups I think.
>>
>>524565

Isn't it technically in the same group as Finnish?
>>
>>524571
Finno-Ugric, yes
>>
>>524571
>>524573
In that case then Greek isn't an isolate because it is PIE
>>
>>524583
Hungarian is a part of the Uralic language family, more specifically Finno-Ugric
>>
>>524571
There is a distant connection between the Uralic languages, and the current scientific premise and grouping formed by "Finno-Ugric" classification is under heavy challenge.
>>
>>524541
What do you mean by "cultural group"?
>>
>>524649
Probably language family. Greek and almost all languages in Europe fall in the Indo-European branch. Greek has it's own category and therefore isn't strongly related to other European languages.
>>
>>524541
i believe armenian is too if we are doing linguistics
>>
>>524649

I mean traditional languafe families in modern Europe

>Romance
>Germanic
>Celtic(barely exists anymore to be fair, but still exists)
>Slavic
>Finno-Urgic(as other anons have said, it's debatable if this is even a real group)

Greek doesn't fall into a group with any other language
>>
>>524583

I personally believe Indo-European is WAY too broad a classification for a discussion like this. You can stretch it to include pretty much a third of the Earth's population, many of whom don't share any meaningful linguistic similarities.
>>
>>524583
I think what OP is on about is that Greek literally is its own sub-family of indo-european.

I.e. there are Germanic and italic languages...but there is only a single modern Greek language.

>>524541
I believe Armenian falls into such a category as well. pretty sure Hittite (extinct) was in a similar state too when it was still spoken.
>>
>>524718
Yet Hungarian and Finnish are clearly related.

Fucking retard.
>>
>>524788

See>>524709

I made it clear that their relation is debatable.
>>
>>524565
He is asking about an european language
>>
>>524556
Just sounds Spanish, maybe the somewhere in the substratum lies a relative to Basque, in Spanish.
>>
>>524541
I've always read that Greek is Indo-European?

Am I missing something here?
>>
>>524834
it is, but is not part of the big "families" of languages in Europe.

Germanic, Latin, Slavic, Baltic and Finno-Ugric. While being an Indo-European language, it is isolated from these language groups.
>>
>>524864
Oh, in that case, the Romans systematically destroyed the Greek world.
>>
>>524541

C-canary Island whistling language
>>
>>524884
technically, that's a romance language.
>>
>>524709
You for got an important word; extant. It's related to phrygian.
>>
>>524827
What? It doesnt sound like spanish at all
>>
>>524709
>>524541
Greek is a hellenic language, it is related to indo european languages like German, Italian, English, Russian. It is not that unique other than it doesnt have a related subgroup other than itself but so does albanian and armenian which are also indo european but armenia arguably isnt in europe
>>
>>524583
>In that case then Greek isn't an isolate because it is PIE

Greek isn't PIE. Greek is Greek.

PIE is the source of all European languages, with the notable exception being Finno-Ugric.
>>
>>524541
Greek is not a language, but a family of languages. Even today there are still alive languages other than standard Greek - Doric, Griko, Pontic etc.

The fact that almost all Greeks speak now a standardized language is a product of mandatory education, rather than natural process.
>>
>>5512947
There are other exceptions: Basque, Crimean Tatar, Gagauz, and Maltese, along with any languages of the Caucasus you want to count.
>>
>>525784
>Griko is a dying language in Italy
>Pontiacs are all becoming assimilated in Greece and Cyprus after being expulsed from Trebizond and other places around Black Sea
And to think that there were Greeks in Marseille, could you imagine if their identity still survived today? Tragic.
>>
File: image.jpg (185 KB, 876x706) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
185 KB, 876x706
>>524541
Greek never really expanded like other Langauges did. Rome made a vast empire and when it fractured the various Romance Langauges were born. The Germanics migrated everywhere and that led to modern Germanic languages. Greece only expanded that far under Alexander but that was over 2,000 years ago and the Greek presence wasn't strong enough to endure. The Greek or Hellenic Langauges did exist in Anatolia which could be considered their own but Turks killed them. There are smaller ones like Girko and Curiot but those or Isolated to a small area of land. Greek is like a single child who's family and siblings died or are lost.
>>
georgian
>>
>>524556
>>524827
Why are people like you allowed to post here?
>>
>>524569
>Finnish and Hungarian, among some of the borderline extinct languages of the Baltic region would not fall into any larger groups I think.

they don't need to, they form their own. and estonian isn't anwhere near extiction and karelian still has thousands if not tens of thousands native speakers, altought they're mostly old people from rural areas. hungarian doesn't really fit in here thought since it belongs to ugric branch of finno-ugric languages. samic languages maybe since they're closely related to baltic-finnic languages.
>>
>>524541
Greece was a language group. They all started speaking pan-Greek after Alexander.
>>
>>524880
No, Koine Greek in the age of Alexander did.
>>
>>524677
>armenia
>europe
>>
>>524709
>Finno-Urgic(as other anons have said, it's debatable if this is even a real group)
Not really
>>
>>524541

What of Finnish?
>>
>>524556
Basque is Isolated
>>
>>524827
not even close desu.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.