[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good Books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: Roms Portar.jpg (24 KB, 219x320) Image search: [Google]
Roms Portar.jpg
24 KB, 219x320
Can somone recomend some good historical books in the likes of conn iggulden, i have allready read conn iggulden ,simon cornwell and simon scarrow books and i wonder if there is any auther in the likes you can recomend
>>
>>523693

Try Bernard Cornwell. He's written books on vikings, 100 year war and napoleonic war.
>>
Just finished a good book, "Looking Forward to the Spring" by Caty Hammock.
>>
>>523704
lol i wrote the sam guy twice, Bernard Cornwell was meant to be in there to, i have read the viking and 100 year war but i have to look up the napolenic war ty for the tip
>>
>>523693
Patrick O'brian and C. S. Forester (Naval Napoleonic era), Robyn Young (Crusades and Robert the Bruce), and Wilbur Smith (I've only read the ancient Egypt series).

Patrick O'brian is a pretty different style to all the others though.
>>
/lit/ Historical Fiction:

Latro in the Mist
I, Claudius
Memoirs of Hadrian
Julian
Ivanhoe
>>
>>523742
Oh and:

Marius the Epicurean
>>
File: 1450829664868.jpg (83 KB, 576x1024) Image search: [Google]
1450829664868.jpg
83 KB, 576x1024
>>523742
>Historical Fiction
>>
>>523747
Elaborate on your disgust
>>
>>523752
It's pleb-tier history that spreads disinfo to normies.
>>
>>523747
Sabatatini is pretty fun. Pleb fiction, but still fun.
>>
>>523741
Thank you i have to look up Smith it sounds intresting
>>523742
some of those seems intresting ill look these upp too, but how many of them are based on real event/persons?
>>
>>523735
Check out the Saxon chronicles. Great books about 9th c. England.
>>
>>523756
They're works of literature you plebeian. Fuck off to your trainset, boy.

>>523765
Claudius, Hadrian, and Julian are based on the emperors.

"Ivanhoe is the story of one of the remaining Saxon noble families at a time when the nobility in England was overwhelmingly Norman. It follows the Saxon protagonist, Sir Wilfred of Ivanhoe, who is out of favour with his father for his allegiance to the Norman king Richard the Lionheart. The story is set in 1194, after the failure of the Third Crusade, when many of the Crusaders were still returning to their homes in Europe. King Richard, who had been captured by Leopold of Austria on his returning to their homes in Europe."

Latro in the Mist is set during the aftermath of the Persian Wars, and is focused on the life of a Latin Mercenary. Blends magical realism, erudite knowledge, and homage to Ancient Greek culture.
>>
>>523788
if you are talking about the books about Uhtred ive allredy read them, good books, ty for the tip either way:)
>>523790
ok nice i have to look upp those book, Latro in the mist looks intresting i havent read to mutch about the greeks :)
>>
>>523800
Latro would be quite a challenging read without much knowledge of Greek history and culture; maybe save it for later.

A good history of the Greeks would be: A Brief History of Ancient Greece - Pomeroy, et al
>>
>>523805
oh ok, ill look upp that book and read upp on greek history and then i read Latro, thanks for the heads upp
>>
>>523693
Are you me? Have read almost everything from those guys
>>
>>523852
haha i might be you ;)
>>
>>523860
I must say I have fine taste in escapism
>>
>>523852
That's what I >>523741 thought too, I've literally read everything by those guys.
>>
>>523868
>C. S. Forester (Naval Napoleonic era)
Welp. More to add to the 'to read list'
>>
>>523864
haha :D
>>
>>523693
Iggulden ain't historical fiction OP. It's historical fantasy at best.

Try McCullough's Masters of Rome series (could literally be used as a history text, but entertaining) and Mary Renault's novels about Alexander the Great.
>>
>>524104
how come iggulden aint historical fiction? i have heard a lot of posetiv things about his historical writing.
Thanks for the tip ill look them upp
>>
>>524130
Well it is just my opinion, but he changes too many facts, and focuses almost completely on the relationships between characters, and events that effect them. From what I remember he doesn't mention social, religious, and political issues that drive conflicts and events (something McCullough excels in, hence why her work can be used as history).

For example, in his Emperor series (which I've read), Julius Caesar and Marcus Brutus (I don't think Iggulden ever uses their actual names) are about the same age, whereas in reality Caesar was 15 years the elder. Pompey, Crassus, Milo and Clodius, as well as everything else, are explained like science is explained to kindergarteners (not thoroughly or accurately at all). Influential politicians, successful generals, and legislating consuls are all handwaved away by Iggulden. It's a fine series for preteens, don't get me wrong, but McCullough beats him into pulp.
>>
>>524176
oh you mean in that way he keeps th historical names on peapol, yes he rewrites a lot of things althoug he has a part in the end of eatch book where he describes when/how things realy happens and what difrense from real history and he rewrites things to make it more easier and more exating for the reader, but i get your point, and i got to say you sparket my intrest for Mc Cullough so i realy have to look him upp now :)
>>
Robert Harris' Cicero trilogy is a must read for anyone interested in the Late Republic.
>>
>>524382
Thank you ill have to look it upp
>>
Anything by Steven Saylor is pretty good.
>>
>>523693
My favourite historic authors are Patrick O'brian for fiction, and Nathaniel Philbrick for non-fic.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.