[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was he a Tyrant?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: Henry_VIII_Chatsworth.jpg (248 KB, 512x888) Image search: [Google]
Henry_VIII_Chatsworth.jpg
248 KB, 512x888
Was he a Tyrant?
>>
>>522352

>ended the catholic oppression
>stood up to the emperor
>tried to reclaim rightful continental clay

based
>>
>>522361
He had Thomas Morus executed so yes in my book.
>>
>>522352
At the beginning of his reign, no. He basically let Wolsey do most of the ruling and resigned to playing sport but after his jousting accident he changed a lot. Soon Wolsey was dead and Anne was executed. Thomas Cromwell who acted as Wolsey's replacement didn't have nearly the same amount of power and Henry had his inexperienced hand in everything. Getting slowly more paranoid at the discontent growing amoung the nobility and intellectuals who liked it much better when he just played sport. Lots of people got executed as a result of this. In the end it was tyranny
>>
>Pope Leo, I'm VIII
>>
>>522806
>You don't get to bring monks.
>>
Considering he didn't take his throne through force, no I don't think he was.
>>
Anglicanism is the most based denomination so he's alright in my book.
>>
File: 13253534234.png (96 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
13253534234.png
96 KB, 250x250
>>522352
I love that his conquest of Scotland is known as the "rough wooing."
>>
>>522793
>Soon Wolsey was dead and Anne was executed
wew lad, that's the years between Wolsey's death and Anne's execution is one of the most consequential periods in the 16th century. Can't just lump them in one sentence like that.
>Thomas Cromwell who acted as Wolsey's replacement didn't have nearly the same amount of power
Nah. Wolsey played the traditional rule book of statecraft. Cromwell through it out the window and did some interesting things, most of which didn't last past his death unfortunately.
> Lots of people got executed as a result of this. In the end it was tyranny
lol wat? who got executed? VIII did some arbitrary shit but there's absolutely no basis for him randomly massacring people.
>>
>>522951

No, his dad did that for him.
>>
>>522957
How from what I was taught it was almost just like catholosm just without the pope.
>>
>>524311
High Church Anglicanism is essentially Catholicism with the Pope replaced with the monarch (functionally by the Archbishop of Canterbury). Low Church Anglicanism on the otherhand, while still the same technical denomination, is handled like any other Protestant church.
>>
>>524311
Your point? Catholicism is great, but the main flaw is all that papal power and shit from Vatican I.
Protestant theology and liturgy is shit. I love Anglicans who are basically reformed catholics, though unfortunately it does encompass total calvinist-tier ones as well.
>>
>>524333
Anglicanism: Having your cake and eating it too since 1534
>>
File: 8698125.jpg (117 KB, 417x304) Image search: [Google]
8698125.jpg
117 KB, 417x304
>>524346
>Oxford Anglicanism

Does religion get any better?
>>
He was ordained by God to rule by divine right. He L I T E R A L L Y could do nothing wrong.
>>
>>522806

if I leave your communion, will you die?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.