[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What specific period in history is are these books based on?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (408 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
408 KB, 1920x1200
What specific period in history is are these books based on?
>>
>>522306

>these books

Go on...
>>
>>522306
War of the roses, and england when it was split into multiple saxon kingdoms, I also get a bit of hundred years war feel from it
>>
>>>/tv/
>>
>>522306
It's a mashup of all kinds of history. The politics draws from English history, specifically the war of the roses. The iron islanders are clearly very norse-like. The dothraki heavily resemble the mongols. The sack of King's Landing and killing of the royal family seem very much like the Russian revolution, etc.
>>
>>522360
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, Aegon the conqueror = William the conqueror with dragons.
>>
>>522360

Oh, it's Game of Thrones.

Yeah. In the TV series, at least, there are some more overt historical inspirations.

Dorne are very much modelled on Al-Andalus, and the Lannister/Stark conflict brings to mind the Norman-Saxon conflict and the Harrying of the North, even though the houses are ostensibly named after Lancaster and York.

Mongol and Norse influences on the Dothraki and Ironborn are obvious enough and the Reach is typical of romantic visions of chivalric France
>>
>>522380
True. The Andals are also obviously the Angles/Saxons/Jutes.
>>
>>522380

The Free Cities are comparable to Italian City States as well.
>>
>>522386

Add a V to to them and you´ll get Vandals.
>>
>>522306
The political setup as in a king with tiny holdings and many great lords is slightly reminiscent of France during the reign of Hugh Capet.

The Norman conquest, war of the roses are also sort of present.

Technology is all over the place but the majority of it seems to stem from the late medieval (specifically the 15th century) period.

The political landscape is too neat and organized to be life like though.
>>
>>522306
Medieval obviously
>>
>>522394
Amazed I didn't think of that one. Braavos is Venice.
>>
Lion - England
Fish - France
Falcon - Germany?
Sun - Egypt?
>>
>>522404
I don't think it fits quite as well. Westeros is basically England. The Andals invaded and then kind of settled after while, and then someone with the title "The conqueror" invaded and united the land. Plus, Andals were tall and blonde, just like the Britons would have seen the Anglosaxons.
>>
>>522424
Flowers - Spain/Portugual
>>
Wars of the Roses fits well if you ignore Lannister=Lancaster and Stark=York
>Lannister=Warwick
>Stark=Percy
>Baratheon=Lancaster
>Targaryen=Plantagenet
>>
Martin said that most of the inspiration came from the war of the roses but he also draws from all history
>>
>>522449
Free cities should be flanders then I reckon. Burgundy gave a shit ton of cash and mercenaries to the English factions in the WotR.

I say the various houses are more country inspired i.e. Tyrell = France
>>
If you turn a map of Ireland upside down it's almost identical to the Southern Part of Westeros, even down to the location of cities and Dragonstone
>>
A LOT of medieval Scottish history.

Westeros= Wester Ross
The Red Wedding= The Black Dinner
They had actual highland clans after Stannis left the Wall.

There's also a lot of very Renaissance Italian politics, the whole Civil War is very reminiscent of the Wars of the Roses in England.
>>
Sure is Reddit today
>>
>>522521
Well, I'd argue you'd get a lot of that in the fighting and murders between the various Scottish Earls and their Clans, but then a lot of them were, if not originally Norman, did affect a lot of Norman culture and then more generally continental culture during the Renaissance.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.