[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we talk about this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: Kowloon-Walled-City-banner.jpg (177 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Kowloon-Walled-City-banner.jpg
177 KB, 640x360
Can we talk about this?
>>
Very cyberpunk. Resembles a sort of superorganism.
>>
>>520921
Yes
>>
File: 1450834866186.jpg (3 MB, 3842x6263) Image search: [Google]
1450834866186.jpg
3 MB, 3842x6263
>>
>>520921
Not sure what that is but I'm sure Europe is to blame.
>>
>>520934
The funny thing is it actually was.
>>
File: bloodpsort.jpg (45 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
bloodpsort.jpg
45 KB, 600x337
>>520921
>>
I don't understand the fascination. It was a clogged shithole full of rats and feces everywhere from what I know.
>>
>>520933
looks comfy tbqh
>>
It's an effect of capitalism.

It's not different from the workhouses in England in the 19th century, it was just focused in all in one place because Hong Kong was and is a very very small area geographically.
>>
File: 1430646644556.jpg (1 MB, 4716x1754) Image search: [Google]
1430646644556.jpg
1 MB, 4716x1754
>>
>>520921
>>520933
Not going to lie, this is cool a.f. 2bh.
>>
>>521018
Yes, but it was a unique organism created by colonialism, war, and poverty. There's nothing else like it.
>>
>>521188
Its not that unique, there are words for those things that open fairly often when the central government is very small or somehow fails, they are slum villages or shanty towns in english and many other cultures have words for them.
>>
>>521238
names/words arent a measurement of uniqueness
>>
All I know is that Dou Niu is a bitch nigga.
>>
>>521238
Except what characterizes the walled city is the population density. That in itself gives it a dystopian modern/futuristic feel, rather than society regressing to favelas.
>>
>>521256
Your opinion isn't a measure or correctness.
>>
>>521238
>Its not that unique
>over a million people per square kilometre
>light rarely reached the ground level
>large number of black market dentists
>basically run by the Triads for two decades

One of the most unique places in history imo
>>
>>521564
I cared and felt that it was a decent if trite analysis. Should have compared to Singapore though. A strong C at 70%
>>
Must have smelt disgusting.
>>
>>520924
Fun facts, there is a cyberpunk game taking place there, called Shadowrun: Hong Kong.
>>
>>521049
this desu, imagine never having to leave your building to get all your needs
>>
>>521670
>this desu, imagine never having to leave your building to get all your needs
dat /jp/ dream!
>>
>>521018
>>521238
>People who have no idea what they are talking about

What makes Kowloon Walled City unique is: nobody owns it.

The Walled City is named so because of a fortress that once stood there. When the British extended the territory of their Hong Kong colony, the cunts who didnt want to be British gathered there and formed a militia. Making it a hardpoint of Qing Dynasty's rule in an area that is technically british.

Well, the Qing Dynasty fell and Kowloon found itself in a weird position of not having a government and a law. De Jure they were owned by British Hong Kong but the militias made the place so dangerous they dared not touch it.

Kowloon therefore became a study in anarchy as it had no government, no legal system, and is pretty much an entity of its own. Since people who live there are de Jure under Britain, they can work in Hong Kong. But if they get into trouble there, all they need to do is cross over to Kowloon as once they do, British Legal Jurisdiction is rendered moot in a territory they have no full control off.

What ballooned it into the Cyberpunk Dystopian City that it looked like was the wars in Mainland China. Basically people who wanted to be refugees in Hong Kong -but are turned away by the Hong Kong government- can live in Kowloon and by doing so, able to work in Hong Kong.

Furthermore Kowloon is probably the last Chinese entity to be run in a traditional manner. When Chinese dynasties fall, villages and towns often either fall in with a local warlord or fort up, with the "laws" run by village strongmen or gangs. The latter is what happened to Kowloon as the criminal gangs there alongside business groups that resembled medieval guilds were the real peacekeepers in the area, not the Hong Kong Police. Though there is no government in there, the gangs and guilds brokers of influence who have the resources to head out of the city and ask municipal government for shit like water & power infrastructure and other projects.
>>
File: Kowloon_Walled_City.jpg (366 KB, 644x425) Image search: [Google]
Kowloon_Walled_City.jpg
366 KB, 644x425
>>521730
cont. this is why Kowloon Walled City is pretty popular in Hong Kong crime films. Because its a legal wild west.
>>
Please tell me something similar exists in the world today. Bonus point for being located in a gook country. Bonus points for black market dentists, opium dens and places to eat rat dumplings.
>>
>>521737
None. There are no more ungoverned spots in Asian Maps now.

Kowloon was literally an accident.
>>
>>521739
>tfw no wild orient
>>
>>521748
Wild and orient are generally mutually exclusive.
>>
>>521737
I would say post hurricane Haiti settlements are similar.
>>
>>520933
they misspellt hectares
>>
>>521784
What?
>>
>>521238
>>521730
>What makes Kowloon Walled City unique is: nobody owns it.

There have been plenty of stateless societies throughout history.
Iceland, Ireland, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, the American West, etc.

What makes Kowloon Walled City unique is that it was stateless, tiny and surrounded by a high density state society.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.