[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are existential nihilism and hedonism incompatible?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: EVA.jpg (271 KB, 541x700) Image search: [Google]
EVA.jpg
271 KB, 541x700
>>
I don't know
>>
can you repeat the question?
>>
YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME NOW
>>
>>520389
>>
Great thread, I'm glad we moved philo threads away from /lit/ the anons here are clearly way more interested
>>
>>520309
Did Camus die in a car accident?
>>
>>520404
Can you use it in a sentence?
>>
>>520413
Wait till america's asleep senpai
>>
>>520309
Not sure if that picture is a comedy or a tragedy.
>>
>>520488
It is a tragic comedy
>>
>>520432
Who cares? His answer to nihilism is pure bullshit
>>
>>520504
I can see you've never worked a day in your life.
>>
>>520521
I'm literally at work right now. cool projection, tho
>>
>>520309
The question is not whether it's possible, but why it's desirable.
>>
>>520559
>See how soon everything is forgotten, and look at the chaos of infinite time on each side of the present, and the emptiness of applause, and the changeableness and want of judgement in those who pretend to give praise, and the narrowness of the space within which it is circumscribed, and be quiet at last. For the whole earth is a point, and how small a nook in it is this thy dwelling, and how few are there in it, and what kind of people are they who will praise thee.
Fucking Aurelius
>>
>>520534
And yet you don't see the point of the myth of sisyphus.
>>
File: 1449703083498.png (447 KB, 2856x1574) Image search: [Google]
1449703083498.png
447 KB, 2856x1574
>>520309
reminder that hedonism is taking seriously
-- the desires
--the aversion towards pains
--the avidity towards pleasures
--the experiences of pains and pleasures themselves

and you think that these desires, pains, pleasures matter, because you think that your identity exists and goes through them.

sex is the foremost activity in which hedonists identify themselves, then comes other pleasures such as foods, travels, music, cars, the various cravings of avoiding pains through accomodation, medecines...

as soon as you leave hedonism, you embrace a doctrine which explicitly deals with the desires. the most famous doctrines hold the principle of equanimity/equipoise/ataraxia as one of the highest principle: this is what the liberals who are more hedonistic than anything else will never understand.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.