[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sleep throughout History
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5
Hey /his/, I have some broad questions regarding the sleeping patterns of people in the past.

1. Did people wake up at sunrise and sleep at sunset or did they sleep a solid 8 hours a day? Did this continue even when days were especially short around Winter?

2. How did people in the past wake up, alarm clocks were not invented. Dogs? Other animals? (Roosters I can imagine would be plausible).

3. Did the invention of artificial light for mass use such as the light-bulb drastically change human sleeping patterns since its creation?

Thanks for reading, I hope for some interesting answers.
>>
it probably varied, during different eras, different classes, different cultures. i know the french aristocracy slept from about 2am to 11am
>>
>>519834
>dat pic
Fuck, now I have a boner
>>
>>519850
People watched them having sex? How bizarre.
>>
File: ancestor-sleep.jpg (41 KB, 640x380) Image search: [Google]
ancestor-sleep.jpg
41 KB, 640x380
>>519850

>i know the french aristocracy slept from about 2am to 11am

Genuinely interesting.

This goes as well for anyone else reading, any knowledge you have of sleeping patterns within other cultures throughout history please share!
>>
>>519834
>The circadian clock, or circadian oscillator, in most living things makes it possible for organisms to coordinate their biology and behavior with daily environmental changes in the day-night cycle. The term circadian derives from the Latin circa (about) diem (a day), since when taken away from external cues (such as the day-night cycle), they do not run to exactly 24 hours. Clocks in humans in a lab in constant low light, for example, will average about 24.2 hours per day, rather than 24 hours exactly.[1] Hence the term circadian.

>The normal body clock oscillates with a period of exactly 24 hours when it receives daily corrective signals from the environment, primarily daylight and darkness. Circadian clocks are the central mechanisms that drive circadian rhythms. They consist of three major components:

>A central biochemical oscillator with a period of about 24 hours that keeps time
>A series of input pathways to this central oscillator to allow entrainment of the clock
>A series of output pathways tied to distinct phases of the oscillator that regulate overt rhythms in biochemistry, physiology, and behavior throughout an organism.
>The clock is reset as an organism senses environmental time cues of which the primary one is light. Circadian oscillators are ubiquitous in tissues of the body where they are synchronized by both endogenous and external signals to regulate transcriptional activity throughout the day in a tissue-specific manner.[2] The circadian clock is intertwined with most cellular metabolic processes and it is affected by organism aging.[3] The basic molecular mechanisms of the biological clock have been defined in vertebrate species, Drosophila melanogaster, plants, fungi, bacteria,[4][5] and presumably also in Archaea.
>>
File: x4zZYmn.jpg (629 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
x4zZYmn.jpg
629 KB, 1536x2048
This thread is putting me to sleep. Good night /his/
>>
I think if you are in agriculture you have to sleep the same rhythm as your livestock, even in the modern era. You gotta milk the cow when it needs milking, you can't turn over and snooze for an hour.
>>
I heard dogs were used extensively by the romans.
>>
>>519834
Back in Pre-Colonial, Semi-Agrarian Philippines cunts slept at around 7:00 PM. Had to wake up at around 3:00 AM to work the fields when the Tropical Sun wasn't mind numbingly hot yet

Also its still dark for fishing. You could bring up a torch and attract fishies.
>>
>>524278
What did Filipinos refer to themselves as before King Philip ?
>>
>>519834
I can't recall the source, but i read somewhere that it was relatively common before electricity for people to have a "first sleep" ..wake up and tend the fireplace. Ten have a " second sleep" . At least this was the case in England
>>
>>524596
1) Family
2) Clan
3) (if they were in one) Kingdom
4) Ethno-linguistic Group.

In that order.
>>
>>524609
Interesting. I assume the southern clans became Islamic and all the rest became christian
>>
>>524675
A lot of tribes from North to South were Muslim. Animists became bitches of them.

Its just that Spain united the Animists, converted the to Catholicism, and used these people to beat up the Northern Muslims.

Meanwhile Southern Muslims had all sorts of allies to call from Borneo to Indonesia to help it out. Brunei defeated Spain in a naval battle in 1590's IIRC.

Not to mention Japanese and Chinese entities kept threatening late 1500's and 1600's Spanish Philippines, leading them to pulling back almost regularly their forces from the South.
>>
>>519904
In the absence of external stimuli, the human circadian rhythm matches the exact day/night cycle of Mars roughly 200,000 years ago.
>>
>>524601
Read this from a few sources too.

Apparently it was common to even go visiting neighbours between sleeps.
>>
>>524696
If you're trying to say WE WE WUZ MARTIANS N SHIT
Please don't
>>
File: Ancient Aliens Guy - Aryans.jpg (85 KB, 400x349) Image search: [Google]
Ancient Aliens Guy - Aryans.jpg
85 KB, 400x349
>>524759
I'm just sayin' that it's awfully odd that we would have evolved with a sleep cycle inconsistent with our supposed home world, but consistent with that of another planet at the same time as the first evidence of modern homo sapiens appears here. A planet that is believed to have been Earth-like at some point in the past, but has since ceased to be capable of supporting life.

Or, you know, WE WUZ MARTIANS.
>>
>>524787
Or, maybe it's just a coincidence.
>>
>>524946
Nope. The pyramids are Martian grain ships that grew human plant babies
>>
>>519834

1st and second sleep. People would have a meal at sunset, then sleep. That is the 1st sleep. Wake up in the middle of the night, this is why so much shit happens at midnight in the literature. Then go back to sleep for the second sleep.

The industrial work day killed 1st and second sleep.
There are many sources for this, so you can google it.

Try actually going to sleep at sunset. You will most likely wake up and be awake for a while before you can get back to sleep. I did it last night. It was weird waking up in the morning and not feeling tired. I imagine this is how our ancestors must have felt.
>>
This is actually a very interesting subject. Have a curious bump
>>
>>524960

Im always drowsy with sunset light.
After its getting dark im full of energy again.
>>
>>524993
This.
>>
>>524977
They did a study recently where the temperature plays a large role in the times you wake up and go to sleep, it was a study on an amazon tribe I think, apparently at the coldest point of the morning your body naturally responds to get up.
>>
>>525019
How the fuck does it know when its the coldest your body cant predict the future
Woaaaahahhhhh blowin ur mind
>>
>>519850
>i know the french aristocracy slept from about 2am to 11am

Sounds like me

Except I'm the complete opposite of aristocracy
>>
>>525036

You are noble in your heart anon, that's enough.
>>
>>525019

Actually it's the sign of change. If temperature is decreasing, it's a sign night is upon us. If the temperature stabilizes and begins to increase, its a sign day has come. But if you use climate control, your body can't figure out shit.
>>
https://www.t-nation.com/living/fascinating-facts-about-sleep
First and second sleep! Not sure how far back this practice went.
>>
I know Benjamin Franklin was a napping man, with some sources clqining he slept for 4 hours at night and then an hour after every meal. And anecdotal evidence, when I was in military training where I only had 6 hours of sleep a night and a 2 hour nap after lunch, I felt like a king after my body adjusted.
>>
>>525221
Interesting. I'd love to say I have this problem, but I end up staying up for 5 hours if I randomly wake up in the middle of the night even if I've only had 2 hours of sleep at most. Maybe if I adjusted my sleep pattern to sunset it would normalize.
>>
>>519834
>1. Did people wake up at sunrise and sleep at sunset or did they sleep a solid 8 hours a day? Did this continue even when days were especially short around Winter?

I heard certain cultures would sleep in two four hour blocks. Wake up in the dead of night to do more chores or stoke the fire, then go back to sleep.

>3. Did the invention of artificial light for mass use such as the light-bulb drastically change human sleeping patterns since its creation?

I would think so, from the first question a consequence of artificial light was the end of the previous sleep cycle.
>>
>>524601
>>524746
damn that sounds really nice
>>
>>524960
It literally depends on your own sleep cycle(based on the ~24hour clock) what do you mean. I woke up at 6am everyday to get work done and be back at my shitty off campus apartment by 7pm. Eat and chilled until 9 or 10 before i got drowsy then fell asleep. I was able to get up around 6am even on weekends for 6 weeks until I fucked it up by forcing myself to sleep-in until 12pm( by just not getting up) later.
>>
>>524696
Yeah, and it almost perfectly matches Earth's cycle by about 12 minutes.
>>
>>525701

There you have it. It's possible to train yourself, but naturally your body will regress. That is why you ended up sleeping longer when you didn't have work.
>>
>>519881
>>519850
The aristocrats in Tolstoy's novels all tended to do the same. Basically they socialized late at night and got to sleep in and have their workers take care of everything.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.