[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Recommended reading on Gothic architecture?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (144 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
144 KB, 1280x720
Recommended reading on Gothic architecture?
>>
>>519320
That's... beautiful ;_;
>>
>>519320
Isn't it a bit early in the day?
>>
>>519320
>>
>>519328
>>519320
spoiler alert: the duomo's not exactly a gothic cathedral

it was started in rennaissance style in the 1400s; hence the layout's symetry and style. it wasn't completed until napoleon stormed in and demanded the final decoration by gothic revival as it was in fashion at the time, hence the crazy spires and statuettes everywhere

but definitely visit it. it's a beautiful masterpiece, a timeline condensed into architecture. and one of the best places to observe the fascinating ambrosian rite in practice.
>>
>>519320
the recommended reading I have is mostly european

I dunno if you're from the US and can access some of these books, a lot of them are kinda old too, but I can assure its great reading, for art history and architecture students:

André Corboz; Haut Moyen Age
Norberg-Schulz; Western Architecture
Simson Otto Von; The Gothic Cathedral
Hans H. Hofstatter; Gothic
Gothic Art; Andrew Martindale
Classic dictionary of architecture : concise glossary of terms Grecian, Roman, Italian and Gothic Architecture; John Henry Parker
>>
>>519824
Is that the Duomo di Milano? I went there and it was dirty af, I accidently brushed against one of the walls and my jacket was covered in the dirt that was on the walls on the inside.
>>
>>519803
How to Build a Cathedral, only £4.99 Introductory price. With your plumb-bob this week!

Each week you get a piece, plus instructions and historical information!

(Ordinary price £14.99, 15600 weeks required to complete)
>>
>>519847
yep. they've cleaned it up a bit since the expo; it's really beautiful now (or at least was when i visited last spring)

definitely visit all the side-altars and see the massive stained glass windows at the back (iirc the biggest single panels in the world)
>>
>>519879
I just went this past Christmas, I saw the stained glass panels and they were beautiful, but the walls were still so fucking dirty.
>>
File: mythology-giants.jpg (7 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
mythology-giants.jpg
7 KB, 150x150
>>519803
>>519843
>can't find torrent or free .epub or .PDF anywhere

JUST
>>
>>519963

God forbid you'd ever support the people producing stuff you are interested in.
>>
The Stones of Venice, by John Ruskin
>>
>>519986
BUT I NEED SOME MONEY FO DEM PROGRAMZ
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.