[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QTDDTOT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: thing.png (1016 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
thing.png
1016 KB, 800x533
Questions that don't Deserve their Own Thread

A lot of other boards have these and not every question needs a thread.

I'll start:

Where did that nickname Augustulus for Romulus Augustus come from? He went by Romulus Augustus officially.
>>
Was it fought over states rights
>>
>>677930

Don't know the answer to yours, but I'll toss in mine.

Why have Christians historically had so much trouble converting Jews? Almost from day one, you have a lot more success when they went out and preached to the gentiles rather than staying in Iudea itself. And you have the Disputation of Barcelona, which sounds like something out of a Disney movie, but apparently actually happened. You've had Jews living within Christian communities for literally millenia, and while you have converts here and there, you have remarkably little headway at mass conversion and eliminating the minority religion. In contrast, things like the old Norse religions, or the Baltic paganism, or the various religions in Mesoamerica often disappeared almost entirely within decades of Christian political domination.
>>
>>677945
I'm not an expert on the topic but I'd imagine that since historically Jewish people were taught not to trust gentiles and were somewhat xenophobic, converting them probably wouldn't be easy.
>>
>>677945
It was a conspiracy
>>
>>677945
This is just a random guess, but didn't Jews generally have certain roles in society like moneylenders and merchants that they might have lost their advantage in if they converted due to religious restrictions? In that case there might have been a strong economic disincentive to converting.

I don't know shit about Jewish history so that might be bullshit.

I don't know if the same was true in the Islamic world.
>>
>>677930
It means little Augustus. He was young for an emperor.
>>
File: image.jpg (106 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
106 KB, 960x960
>>677982
>>677973
>>677963
>>677945
Because Jews knew that God was one and would not leave a half truth for a lie.
Other pagans would join that paganism easily while the Jews converted to the patrician faith.

>ISLAM
>>
>>677945

Well, to begin with, Christians are Jews who believe that the Mesias had already came, while the Jews are still waiting for he to arrive.
So obviously the Jews are raised to deny the root itself of the Chrisitan religion.
>>
>>677945

Say you're a pagan living somewhere. You worship your old gods, things are good. Then one day, a bunch of cross-bearing soldiers come along, smash up your country, say they're taking over. A little while later, some men in nice robes come along and explain how your tribal gods (who are actually demons, and it's their fault that every plague and crop failure happened) lost out to the one REAL God, and you should follow the God that the Christians have. After all, they won, doesn't that prove who is really the mightier?

Dealing with Jews, on the other hand, you have a number of thorny problems, most of which come from arising from a similar theological stem. A lot of Jews could read and write in Hebrew, and they extensively studied the Old Testament. Despite what the likes of Constantine will tell you, there's an enormous shift from the OT to the NT, so much so that it's hard to justify it as being all of one theological truth. To even get started with converting a knowledgeable Jew, you have to somehow convince him that his own readings and literally millennia of his own theological traditions are all wrong. It's tough.
>>
>>677935
The South forever claims it was for States Rights; State's Rights to own slaves.

The North worked to solve the dispute diplomatically, but the South got butt-frustrated and attacked Fort Sumter.
>>
>>677930
According to Wikipedia the -ulus in Augustulus is just a sort of diminutive meaning "Little Augustus"
>>
>>677935
Technically it was, but what Confederate apologists like to ignore is that it was specifically the state's rights to own slaves. The right to own slaves is mentioned in pretty much any declaration of secession and is right in the Confederate constitution, right above habeas corpus.

You can't really blame a lot of Southerners for wanting to preserve the plantation system though since that was literally their entire economy. They would've gotten rekt by the cotton boll weevil a few decades later anyway
>>
What are some good philosophy podcasts? Looking for something to listen to while commuting. (Better than WiseCrack, School Of Life-tier)
>>
>>679058
Go looking for "first last" on YouTube. Especially "take the black pill"
>>
>>679132
>first last
Eggman? Isn't he certifiably insane?
>>
>>679132
>sending people to the archive instead of my real channel
Smh desu senpai
If you want a good podcast, I'm making one that will be released soon.
It will be released under NextThread so keep an eye out.
>>
>>679225

Eggman, is it true that you were born out of your mother's ass instead of the customary opening in the vagina?
>>
>>679058
History of Philosophy, surely?
>>
>>679330
The WheatonCollege one? I'll check it out.
>>
Is there a /his/ version of this?
https://docs.google.com/document/u/4/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub?_ga=1.90722073.208462567.1449268525

Or is it good enough
>>
>>677930

So one of the things I've heard, not sure if it's true, was that

>The Me-262 came out too late because Hitler wanted a light bomber and not a fighter.

I don't pretend to know all that much about the development cycle, but that's at least something that gets tossed around a lot. Why would someone want their first jet to be a bomber? What good would it be over just the available prop planes?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (21 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
21 KB, 480x360
Serious question
Do you think certain memes will be in history books 50 years from now?
>>
>>681907
Like, do you think your future grandchildren will open up a history ebook on their iHolograms and read about the explosion of cyber-social interaction and see DIARRHEA CHA CHA CHA in a little sidebar?
>>
File: 1191768029251.png (47 KB, 875x880) Image search: [Google]
1191768029251.png
47 KB, 875x880
>>681907
Depends on how broadly you define "meme".
>>
>>678358
They would also have been rekt by the devaluing of cotton due to Britain making their own farms in India and the like.
My question is, was there another cash crop they could have switched to and continued their gilded age Southern dandy aristocracy?
>>
File: 1453418151494.jpg (288 KB, 1200x750) Image search: [Google]
1453418151494.jpg
288 KB, 1200x750
>>677930
Has there ever been a battle that was openend with a frontal cavalry charge against infantry that wasn't:

A: A gigantic mistake (i.e. Charge of the light Brigade or Agincourt)
B: A group of cavalry stumbling on disorganized army (i.e. Patay, Montgisard)
C: A Charge on loosely deployed skirmishers (i.e. British Rifles)
>>
Does anyone have any good books about life throughout Alexander the Great's empire?

Specifically curious about life in Persia during the period.
>>
>>681993
The Rescue of Gondor.
>>
>>682896
Lol yeah I actually thought about making the battle of Pellanor fields option D
>>
>>682896
>>682903

But the Rohirrim charge at the Morgul army's north flank, with near total surprise, and about a day into the battle.

>>681993

Patay springs to mind. I'm sure there are others.
>>
>>682896
Do you mean to suggest the Battle of Vienna which is supposed to have inspired that?
>>
>>682996
I read the books when I was 12, don't recall that much.

in the movie it's rather different.
>>
>>681925
Maybe?

I'm pretty sure memes in general are to dynamic to be to specific. Maybe a chapter in your history text could be devoted to it.
>>
>>681993

Just elaborating on what I said down here in >>682996, Patay wasn't really the French cavalry swarming over a disorganized foe. Talbot had about 500 men on the road with stakes out to fend off this sort of attack, but the French bulled through anyway and smashed through the rest of the army once it started to run. It's not much different than any post-rout pursuit at that point.

Kadesh is also probably a candidate, assuming you consider chariots to basically be cavalry. Horsemen opened up at Zama as well.
>>
>>683063
At Zama the cavalry didn't engage infantry initially did they?
>>
>>683070

They buzzed the Roman army in general, before skirmishing with the Roman cavalry and mostly drawing them off the battlefield.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.