[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it true that without conflict, there is no progress?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9
File: 1445279489670.png (216 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1445279489670.png
216 KB, 500x375
Is it true that without conflict, there is no progress?
>>
>>516545
I would say so, yes.
>>
I'd say no don't be silly. Unless you have a loose definition of conflict.
>>
>>516545
Birds lose the ability to fly in an environment without predators.

Realistically speaking, conflict is probably helpful to, but not a necessity for progress.
>>
Name a period in history without conflict
>>
Progress needs money, conflict is a good excuse to spend money.
I think there is nothing more than this.
>>
>>516545
Conflict seeks solutions, thus progress, yes?
>>
>>516551
Theropods didnt mutate wings to get away from predators.
>>
>>516545
>progress
Normative. >>>/pol/
>>
File: 1451880110002.png (436 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
1451880110002.png
436 KB, 800x500
Cue in JdM
>>
>>516553
People argue that Europe eclipsed China for their relative lack of internal conflict.
>>
>>516740
NEEDHAM NEEDHAM NEEDHAM NEEDHAM NEEDHAM
>>
>>516545
>Is it true that without conflict, there is no progress?

Yes, most technologies developed in times of war. Most social solutions developed after the war. It is also the reason why communism is a failed concept because it tries to disable conflict and thus injects letargy into its population (the fuck should I work if I'll never achieve anything better) and that is why capitalism has proven to achieve more progress (the fuck this nigga thinks he's better, I'll show him).
>>
>>516887
What should be more beneficial?

Should one rival grow and eliminate the competition or should one foster competition so that each of them gets better and better?
>>
It's true that there's no progress
>>
>>516740
You mean there was a period of time in Europe when there were no wars fought in here? Yeah right.
>>
>>516545
I'm just here for Atilla Total war memes... got any more?
>>
File: Etruscan.png (3 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Etruscan.png
3 MB, 1600x900
>>518400
>>
People become entitled with lack of conflict and competition, thats why you have tumblr and the likes, its all people that grew up being sheltered from any kind of conflict by their parents and teachers and now cant do anything right and always think they deserve everything without putting any effort, if they don't succeed its never because of their own shortcomings, its always someone else fault.
>>
>>518412
Etruscans were Hindu ?
>>
>>518628
Shetered lives also leads to shit like /pol/ -- confused fannies looking for masculinity and identity
>>
>>518628
>>518661
And constant conflict lead to Africa. The answer is to stop conflicts and let people vent their frustrations with sports and other competitions. Having decent families would help as well but good luck with that.
>>
>>516545
Evolutionary speaking there's progress. Just random weird ass progress. "Real" progress needs incentive, and I guess you could call that conflict.
>>
>>517085
>You mean there was a period of time in Europe when there were no wars fought in here?

Yes, it's called the last 70 years.
>>
>>518844
>just forget about problems

Huxley disagrees
>>
>>518628
>>518844
The key to progress is a constant oscillation between conflict and peace. In conflict we'll develop new technologies, in peace those technologies will be applied which leads to a rise in discovery and scientific advancement which then gives rise to new technologies in the next conflict. Have to much of one without the presence of the other and stagnation will inevitably occur.
>>
File: Celtic-Roquepertuse.jpg (150 KB, 800x1145) Image search: [Google]
Celtic-Roquepertuse.jpg
150 KB, 800x1145
>>518648
Were Celts?

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gundestrup_cauldron
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pashupati_seal

pic related is a Celtic statue
>>
>>516545
>That pic
This is pretty much 95% of what the diplomacy screen is used for in every total war since Empire.
>>
>>516545
>Is it true that without conflict, there is no progress?
It is the tenet of evil:

WAR & CREATION, PEACE & STAGNATION.

This, because the time is short whereas God is forever.
>>
in every second of every day. with every breath you take there is conflict. every living thing on the earth is permanently engaged in conflict with every other living thing. there are no laws and the only thing that matters is who survives.
>>
File: professional badasses.jpg (40 KB, 400x606) Image search: [Google]
professional badasses.jpg
40 KB, 400x606
>>519912
>Yes, it's called the last 70 years.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yugoslav_Wars
>>
>>520111
Minor regional conflicts that did not affect other countries. You could also say there's a conflict in progress in the Ukraine but it also doesn't matter.
>>
Y'all need Kant
>>
File: _75000503_75000374.jpg (51 KB, 660x371) Image search: [Google]
_75000503_75000374.jpg
51 KB, 660x371
>>520111
>Implying the balkans made any progress themselves the last 70 years
>implying anyone cares about the balkans except butthurt serbs, bosnians, croats, and "macedonians"
>>
>>520128
>Minor regional conflicts that did not affect other countries
Except for Russia getting pissed at NATO for unauthorized bombings.

And Ukraine most certainly does matter. It is a proxy war between NATO and Russia.

>>520140
>geographic area referred to as "southern europe"
>not europe
wew lad
>>
>>520149
>And Ukraine most certainly does matter. It is a proxy war between NATO and Russia.
Not in the context of OPs question. It's not driving progress.
>>
>>520111
>>520128

25 year rule mates
>>
>>516553
Pax Romana? Pax Mongolica?
>>
>>519942
I would agree with you in a pre-Industrial Revolution Century society that conflict was necessary to drive technological advancement. However, mechanisation of agriculture/industry/etc. has, in peace time, fostered the development of the sciences/engineering as fields in their own right and thus, having professionals dedicate their careers to these has, in the last century alone, allowed for technological progress unheard of in the 21 gone centuries before it.

Social progress is a bit more difficult, I think, as it depends upon the whims of people. There's no real metric to measure against, except perhaps mortality rates but, that's dubious at best.
>>
>>520393
Meant to add:

As a caveat though, our last major global conflict only ended some 70-odd years ago so it's certainly arguable that we're still riding on the last wave of conflict that drives our advancement.
>>
Oh my god that picture is too good
>>
File: image.png (113 KB, 695x820) Image search: [Google]
image.png
113 KB, 695x820
>>519964
>mfw no one wants to trade with me.
>>
>>520729
>>519964
>diplomacy in Shital War

Is there even a point?
>>
>>520732
In Rome II (Emperor edition), you can actually get feasible trading empires going if you bribe a lot. The Iceni faction actually start out with a trade bonus to non-Celts, and you can get pretty early game 10,000+ talent income as soon as you align yourself as trading with Carthage.

I actually managed to amass gigantic globs of military allies in Rome II a few times, so people are freaking horrified of declaring war on you and starting World War Negative One

In Attila, the whole mechanic is fucked. I'm playing my first campaign (as Himyar), and I can't do any Mediterranean trading because I can't establish sea routes for some reason. The only people I trade with are the Sassanids, their puppet state fuccbois and African Separatists. No one wants to be my ally other than weak ass states like Palmyra and the Africans. It's starting to piss me off.
>>
File: 1434049445547.jpg (73 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
1434049445547.jpg
73 KB, 800x533
>>519942
>scientific advancement
>2016 and he thinks that there is a progress in science and that this progress permeates the social realm.

at least you admit that you have never done science nor read a book on its philosophy
>>
>>518648
The swastika can been found in various cultures that don't even have any connections, and seriously it's just a cross with some extra appendages, not very difficult to invent
>>
>>520754
>I actually managed to amass gigantic globs of military allies in Rome II a few times, so people are freaking horrified of declaring war on you and starting World War Negative One
I usually do that with the local factions and then realizes that I have no nearby enemy lands to conquer in order to expand
>>
>>516887
Yep. Everyone knows the spinning wheel was invented when a war chariot crashed into a bunch of spinsters. And Persian air conditioning and irrigation was wholly belligerent in nature, which is why after the Pax Mongolica they allowed the qanats to fall into disrepair.
>>
I've always found paying the huns to fuck off to be a sound strategy, so there can indeed be progress without conflict.
>>
>>522837
Yeah, you have to plan ahead and have an idea who you can make alliances with and where you can expand.
For example, during my Iceni campaign (hard/hard) I declared war on the Dumonii so that I could be friends with the Namnetes and get diplomatic bonuses from conquering their neighbors. Then I formed a friendly working relationship with the Boii (not an alliance), and basically conquered due South. When Rome declared war on Carthage for the second time, Carthage asked me to help, which allowed me to take the Italian Peninsula and half of Sicily while it was undefended, and have a position to expand simultaneously in Northern Africa and the Iberian Peninsula. Later on in the game, my more valuable allies, the Spartans, went to war with the Boii, and I took all their land, which at that point was all of Northeastern Europe.
>>
>>516567
i love this meme
>>
File: 1331245942811.jpg (23 KB, 303x311) Image search: [Google]
1331245942811.jpg
23 KB, 303x311
The Germans were on top of the World industrially and are just recovering from their conflicts. Other wise they would surely rule us all at this point. Bloody Rosbif and their bloody boats.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.