[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
History of Sub-Saharan Africa
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8
File: in-2015-region-map-web-SSA.jpg (981 KB, 1692x1972) Image search: [Google]
in-2015-region-map-web-SSA.jpg
981 KB, 1692x1972
Hey /his/, I'm interested in learning more about the history of Sub-Saharan Africa. I currently know absolutely nothing on this topic, which I think is why I find it so intriguing.
Can you point me to certain time periods or civilizations that I should read about? Are there any that you find particularly interesting?
>>
>Interessted in the only part of the world where they still live in «terre cuite» houses.

They are better choices OP
>>
http://pastebin.com/50SpNpVZ

here
>>
>>51577
Pretty much this.
>>
>>51577
>>51649
fuck off
>>
>>51666
No. I will not.

That's my opinion.
>>
Mansa Musa and Mali might be an obvious choice. Imagine a dude just passing through on his way to Mecca, with more wealth than you knew existed, just tossing gold around like it was nothing.
>>
Second Congo war is the only interesting war fought in the last 50 years.
>>
The Cambridge history of Africa is a goldmine of knowledge.

And the UNESCO general history of Africa was extensively researched too.

Also the Tarikh Al Sudan
>>51577
>>51649
Contribute or find a thread about something you know about
>>
>>51526
This thread here >>48707 contains some information re: Ethiopia. As far as early civilization goes, it was mostly in the west, south, and the Horn of Africa.
>>
>>51526
The empire of Mali. Is a good point to start. Jenne-Jeno is interesting, as well. There's also the ancient iron workers of SS Africa. The most interesting thing about Sub-Saharan Africa would probably be the effects the Islamic world had on it after the Saharan was crossed by traders.
>>
>>51824
>As far as early civilization goes, it was mostly in the west, south, and the Horn of Africa.

Sorry, I'm retarded.

It was practically everywhere that wasn't Central Africa.
>>
File: 1534309.jpg (105 KB, 302x475) Image search: [Google]
1534309.jpg
105 KB, 302x475
>>51526
This book is bretty good
>>
>>51712
Don't forget you are on /his/.
Every p.o.v is forbidden, unless it meets the Politically Correct ISO 9889™
>>
>>51836
If you speak French try reading the epic of Sundiata translated from Mandinka.

It's heavily legend, but it displays a lost age similar to the Greek, Persian, Germanic, Celtic, and Hindu epics.
>>
>>51931
Oh look, it's another complainer.
>>
>>51727
Meanwhile devaluing everything and being a one man central bank controlling the price of gold.
Donald Trump is a kek compared to Mansa Musa
>>
>>51526
Well the whole area is pretty uneventful. You see while North, West, and most of East Africa had thriving populations and really interesting history, sub Saharan Africa never really had the population density needed to start large scale civilization. Plus the land was so great agriculture didn't catch on as much as North Africa. And their only real connection with the rest of the world was the salt trade.

I feel like what we learn the most from Sub Saharan Africa is that by observing it's "historical uneventfulness" we can work to understand the factors, forces and interactions that thrive history and civilization.
>>
>>51931
Every view point is allowed as long as it isn't pushing us to become a retarded /pol/ 2.0 with no actual discussion
>>
>>51851
People for some reason consider the people of the central African rainforest the quintessential "Africans" despite it being the most remote and depopulated area.

It's like looking to Siberia for "authentic" Asia.
>>
>>51526
I thought Lesotho was good?! Had a good economy and education system?!
>>
>>51526
Liberia is pretty fascinating

Like how did a country of freed slaves end up so completely shit
>>
File: soma-MMAP-md.png (77 KB, 1036x733) Image search: [Google]
soma-MMAP-md.png
77 KB, 1036x733
What went wrong?
>>
>>52254
What went right?
>>
Is Sub-Saharan Africa really devoid of civilization or was /pol/ lying?
>>
>>52187
The freed slaves were the minority.

They ruled the native africans like tyrants until they were overthrown.
>>
>>52254
Communism happened.
>>
>>52092
Is place is already leftypol
>>
>>52254
Tribalism and Europeans drawing arbitrary borders.

>>52310
Gave Italy an accomplishment.
>>
>>52254

Too many blacks.
>>
>>52120
Most of the European viewpoint probably developed around encounters there during Colonization.

Kinda hard to develop Civilization when crops are shit and there is disease everywhere. Most painful to the Europeans were several that had killed Beasts of Burden. People always point to Africa being rich in resources like gold and diamond, but those resources are kinda useless when you have a) No civlizational framework to make use of them, and b) isolation that leaves you unable to trade for them.
>>
File: democratic-republic-congo-map.jpg (47 KB, 418x328) Image search: [Google]
democratic-republic-congo-map.jpg
47 KB, 418x328
What went wrong?
>>
>>52418
Malaria
>>
>>52318
This board is about history, not the modern day. Sub Saharan Africa had multiple civilizations which rose and fell like all do.

Africa is ENORMOUS. Like Asia.

But trying to treat siberian hunters, mongolian hordes, khmer rajas, and warring japanese states as one entity is equally stupid.
>>
Rubber.
>>
File: Leopold II.jpg (65 KB, 938x1330) Image search: [Google]
Leopold II.jpg
65 KB, 938x1330
>>52418
this guy
>>
>>52418
If I wasn't banned for shitposting last night I'd give a detailed explanation.

The politics is really interesting.
>>
>>52462
I'm not a faggot so I think colonialism was a good thing but sometimes they fucked it up tremendously.
>>
>>52462
>guy
>>
>>51526

Does anyone here go to Rationalwiki? I am super disapointed with their Africa article. They more or less define the continent by Europe.

During the winter break I wouldn't mind doing some research to update the article.
>>
>>52357
That makes no sense. Not everyone is viewing everything from your warped childlike view of pol vs muh feminists. Just get the fuck out back to pol.
>>
File: back to rebbit.jpg (202 KB, 717x880) Image search: [Google]
back to rebbit.jpg
202 KB, 717x880
>>52563
>Does anyone here go to Rationalwiki
>>
>>52563
Rationalwiki is disappointing by default.

Unrational, unscientific and very biased.
>>
>>51750
>>51750
>Second Congo war
Alright, explain why. Syria is interesting, especially when its basically an extension of Iraq war
>>
>>52563
>Does anyone here go to Rationalwiki?
>>
>>52798
>sub-saharan
>>
>>52566
>/pol/ is only muh left vs muh right

If you cared to ignore the obvious bullshit threads and bait/meme replies,
You'd see that /pol/ offers a vast wealth of opinion.

But I suppose that an idiot would see facts which hurt his feefees as an all consuming stormfront circlejerk.
>>
>>52254
The Portuguese, they destroyed the maritime power state Ajuran
>>51526
The tebu speaking Kenem empire is the basis of all Sahelian empires. Learn about then and the Sao the west African nation-state they sacked.
>>
>>52867
>Using the buzzword leftypol
>Claiming pol isn't all about right vs left.

Hi stupid, pol is down the hall to the left. Now fuck off.
>>
File: 1428399756447.jpg (42 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
1428399756447.jpg
42 KB, 700x500
>>52563
>Does anyone here go to Rationalwiki?
Someone legitimately just asked this question.
On my Asiatic birdwatching imageboard.
I can't do it.
>>
>>53551
Sounds good to me.
>>
>>52254
Somaliland had been ruled by a different power than Somalia-Mogadishu for too long. Each developed a separate identity, especially because of the different colonizers.
>>
>>53243
Since I basically admitted to being a /pol/ browser from the start,
Your final suggestion is not only redundant but also indicative of a complete lack of mental objectivity (as well as an unwelcome predisposed bias toward others who may see things differently)

Again, I reiterate, behind the troll threads and baiting replies (and 4chan isn't 80% or more of that?) /pol/ has good arguments, factual discussions, and a wealth of factually based opinion.

If discussion of facts isn't your thing, why the hell are you on a history board?
How could you be trusted to provide objective viewpoints on history?

The term "history is written by the victors" comes to mind. That is, popular history is spread by the people who were not defeated. And more plainly, common historical teachings come from the BIAS of those who defeated others. The general written viewpoint is biased against all thoughts which would question the winner.

I wouldn't consider myself capable of discussing a topic/genre if I were unable to wade through the baiting, unable to discern true thought versus the mindplay.
Neither should you.

And so, you ask me to abandon a thought viewpoint that goes against the commonly accepted angle.

And so,
I ask you to question where you real motivations lie and where they have come from.
>>
>>53551
this.
>>
>>51526
well OP

>>51577
is somewhat right. history is often spotty because Africans often did not keep good written records.

If you are genuinely interested, i would advise looking up Nubian, Ethiopian and Swahili history. All grew at the fringes of the civilized known world at the time, and have very interesting histories to them
>>
File: _364438_zanzibar300.jpg (15 KB, 300x180) Image search: [Google]
_364438_zanzibar300.jpg
15 KB, 300x180
>>51526
Well, there the Ethiopians and Nubians. At one point, Mali, and the Somali/Swahili city-states. Some peoples in the Sahel. The Hausa and Fon, on the fringes of Islamic expansion.

The rest were, frankly, too barbaric and insignificant to merit mention.
>>
>>52254
When will Somaliland finally become independent?
>>
>>54672
Also dont forget the Kongolese. Ran the biggest hustle in history and were able to stay independent much longer than most of Africa

tldr
>Portuguese looking to go around Africa because fuck the ottomans
>meet a society at the mouth of the Kongo river
>We give you these novelty black slaves that cost you a pretty penny because its a 50% attrition rate when the Arabs take them north through the Sahara
>just gib guns so we can keep getting you all these slaves
>rinse and repeat for 350 years

It was literally Europe's abolition movement that took away the Kongolese power.
>>
>>51526
>Hey /his/, I'm interested in learning more about the history of Subsaharan Africa

>>>/pol/ get out
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.