[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw babtized protestant >tfw I agree with the (Russian-)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 32
File: 1451678232291.jpg (3 MB, 3293x2378) Image search: [Google]
1451678232291.jpg
3 MB, 3293x2378
>tfw babtized protestant
>tfw I agree with the (Russian-) Orthodox Church on almost everything
>tfw there's no Orthodox church near me and moving isn't an option right now

What do? Should I just convert to Catholicism and enter the Orthodox Church once I am able to move near one? There are some major things I disagree with in Catholicism (the infallibility of the Pope, for example) but it seems like the next best thing.
What are some other major differences (exept for obvious things)?
>>
Orthodox church in Russia is pretty much owned by Putin, and by agreeing with them you agree with Russian policies then why not learn Russian and travel there?
Catholic popes are shills too, most of time.
>>
File: trifag guide.png (423 KB, 800x964) Image search: [Google]
trifag guide.png
423 KB, 800x964
You think long and hard about it, and stop yourself before you become another Orthodox tripfag
>>
The Orthodox are culturally minor and xenophobic. Think carefully if you really want to get in on that stuff.
>>
>>513158
>culturally minor
>xenophobic
How so?
>>
wow there is no way this thread could possibly slide into a tripfag circlejerk
>>
Read the Orthodox Church, by Timothy Ware, and the Orthodox Way, by Kallistos (formerly Timothy) Ware.

I do not think Roman Catholics would want you to convert as a temporary measure.

The major difference is that Catholicism is a modernist institution and gave birth to a lot of modernist ideas. For instance, her idea that both the bread and the wine contain both the Body and Blood, was used as an excuse to not give the laypeople the Blood of Christ, which was actively forbade in a Latin Ecumenical Council as "heretical". Now the Catholic Church does allow this, of course, but they set a precedent that was meme'd by Protestants, except in reverse. The Catholic Church errs in adding to doctrine, the Protestants err in subtracting. If you want a difference that will affect your daily life, the Orthodox Church still follows fasting. Not only in several periods of long stretches, but twice a week: no oil, wine, meat, dairy or fish on Wednesday or Friday. This tradition is substantiated by the Didache.
That said, devout Roman Catholics are far, far better Christians than tepid Orthodox Christians.

Cont
>>
>>513186

Another big differences is the Orthodox have icons, in the sense of Liturgical art, whereas Roman Catholics don't. Icons are considered really, really important to the Orthodox, as important as Protestants consider the Bible (and the Orthodox consider the Bible an icon). You will end up having them in your house and kissing them and so on, and you'll do that at Divine Liturgy as well. The Greek word for icon ("likeness" as opposed to "form", which is where the word "idol" comes from) can be used to mean "reflection". So if you feel weird about kissing the hand of Mary in an icon, just remember that spiritually, it is the same as kissing the hand of her reflection in a mirror. If you feel weird about kissing hands in general (including the priest's), just remember that this was a come way to venerate elders in general before modern times, and still is in some cultures, and that is where it comes from.
>>
>>513167
They don't bother much with nations that aren't traditionally Orthodox, unlike other major Christian denominations. From where I come from, conversion to Orthodoxy is viewed as strange to the Orthodox themselves, since I'm not a serb or russiaboo.

IMO, Orthodoxy lacks the true "universality" that Catholicism has.
If you carefully study their theology and agree with the Eastern Orthodox view, then by all means go for that. But have you considered the Eastern Catholic rite?
>>
>>513186
>>513189
anyway, this is all I can say right now, but if you have any questions, I will get back to you on them later for sure
>>
>4chan christians

Orthodox: autists of the highest order
Catholics: roleplayers
Protestants: either retards or paranoics with eternal persecution complex
>>
>>513142
Either way its best to follow Christian religion without a church head.
>>
>>513192
I'm Orthodox and that is quite wrong. 1/3 of the Orthodox clergy in America are converts.
>>
>>513199

What about the 4chan Jews? (And by this I mean the Jewish posters who are actually posting about Jewish theology and religious doctrine.)
>>
>Orthodox tripfags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YVrxFmheSc
>>
>>513142
They like Putin for the very simple reason that Putin likes them, he rebuilt a ton of Orthodox Churches and is overall very supportive of them. Putin has done more for the Orthodox Church than any leader in a hundred years.
>>
>>513216
Off topic but did you used to namefag on /lit/?

Going to post my Orthodox book stash in a moment
>>
>>513216
Because supporting church is easy way to gain some voters.
>>
God bless all of you and may abundant love bless your lives.

See you later
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8z0psEpscI
>>
File: 1219-0-cry.jpg (27 KB, 460x282) Image search: [Google]
1219-0-cry.jpg
27 KB, 460x282
>>513110
>anon, what do you see
>a beautiful orthodox christian cathedral, infested by cockroaches
>>
>>513207
Autists, even more autistic than the orthodox Christians. I think Orthodox Judaism is like the combination of purest autism and OCD.
>>
File: ban burgerism.jpg (18 KB, 260x190) Image search: [Google]
ban burgerism.jpg
18 KB, 260x190
>>513146
ban the burgers on /his/

/pol/cancer is spreading, and burgers are its main agents
>>
>>513110
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmSm120gFlQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8lnpSCbx4g

thought it was pretty interesting how someone could go from being a latin christian at birth, to an atheist/agnostic to an orthodox to a coptic

there's also brother nathanael but he mostly deals with politics and has a huge hard on for what most people would see as conspiracy theories and /pol/ shit
>>
>>513186
>>513189
I am aware of the Orthodox icons and I actually quite appriciate the practice.
>The Catholic Church errs in adding to doctrine, the Protestants err in subtracting
I agree with this statement profoundly.

I feel like I have a lot of reading to do on Catholicism, can someone recommend me a *short* introduction?
>>
>>513238
>can't even recognize his religion's one of most important cathedrals
>calls other people cockroaches
>>
>>513146
I am thinking long and hard about this, that's why I made this thread in the first place
>>
>>513242

>orthodox jews more autistic than orthodox christians

No way.

Just look at the dietary restrictions. With Jews it's one and done: no this and that, cook this and that separately, wait x hours for this, y hours for that. It's pretty cut and dried.

Orthodox on the other hand have different fasts for different days. On certain days you aren't allowed to fast, so all of the sudden you've been vegetarian for weeks, and now you eat meat. Now you can't eat meat, forget about wine, etc.

So you are now constantly reminded about what you're missing. Jews don't miss bacon or lobster, but you sure as hell can bet that Orthodox do.

It's like constant, well, gustatory torture.

But there are a lot of similarities.
>>
File: Mount.Athos.original.1840.jpg (439 KB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
Mount.Athos.original.1840.jpg
439 KB, 2560x1920
>>513110
You'll have to be allowed to visit and learn at Athos, only then are you true orthodox. Everything else is either a traditional and cultural thing like with serbs and russians, or just edgy burgers wanting to be special snowflakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_fJ2QaIK8s
>>
File: Pretty much.jpg (63 KB, 728x701) Image search: [Google]
Pretty much.jpg
63 KB, 728x701
>>513254
;^)
>>
>>513278
Jews used to have fast days as well.
>>
>>513290
Christ never visited Athos.
>>
File: 95.jpg (87 KB, 291x299) Image search: [Google]
95.jpg
87 KB, 291x299
>>513110
OP if you're baptized and living a Godly life, it doesn't matter what church you attend as long as the Holy Spirit is present there.
>>
>>513278
Orthodox Judaism is like OCD: the religion

>don't use the calculator on a certain day of the week
>don't sit next to a woman
>have a specific dietary restrictions and methods of slaughtering/cooking for no valid reason at all

I'm not even the first person to notice this shit.

http://www.thejewishweek.com/news/new_york/orthodox_compulsive_disorder
>>
>>513257

Maybe if you're really interested in Catholicism you should start with the Great Schism, and see where they diverge(d).

Honestly though I'd rather sit and venerate my own icon than go listen to them.

Have you thought about how you will cross yourself?

Also the parish will probably take your catechumen class money, but they are really sinning if they convert you knowing full well you think 80% of their religion is bullshit.

Maybe that's what is really needed, to see just how different Orthodoxy (particularly the Copts, but this doesn't interest you) is from the current state of the Roman Catholic church.

Think about this: if you were Jewish, would you go to jummah instead? (quite apart from the fact that you wouldn't be allowed to according to Jewish law.) Go to some speaking in tongues revival group instead of an Anglican service? Bow down to a fat gold statue instead of a tree?

Or vote for a different party, just for the sake of voting.
>>
>>513292

Oh they still do, of course, but it's one day and trust me everyone spends all day bitching about how thirsty they are.

>>513314

Jews also don't allow a woman's voice to be heard, so all of this singing in Orthodoxy would be out.

And as far as Jews assigning psychological problem du jour to themselves. . .so what the hell else is new.
>>
File: aaa.jpg (10 KB, 266x189) Image search: [Google]
aaa.jpg
10 KB, 266x189
>>513302
>Christ never visited Athos
>Who said he did?

Ἔστω ὁ τόπος οὖτος kλῆρος σὸς kαὶ περιβόλαιον σὸν kαὶ παράδεισος, ἔτι δὲ kαὶ λιμὴν σωτήριος τῶν θελόντων σωθῆναι

Please for the love of GOD AMERICANS .. EDUCATE YOUR FUCKING RETARDED BRAINS BEFORE POSTING ON /HIS/. Just read three sentences about a topic you idiotic shitheads are willing to discuss about.

I apologise for these words, but your stupidity really sometimes causes physical pain.
>>
>>513322
They used to have two fast days a week.
>>
>>513329
>Christ wasn't true orthodox
>>
File: Orthodox Monk.jpg (2 MB, 1900x1796) Image search: [Google]
Orthodox Monk.jpg
2 MB, 1900x1796
>>513329
Calm yourself.
>>
>>513329
>christ visited northern greece in his life
as stupid as moslems claiming muhammad flew to jerusalem on a magical horse in his dreams
>>
>>513329
>your stupidity really sometimes causes physical pain

Would you say you got .... triggered? Are you also suffering from PTSD over 4chan posts?
>>
File: ikon.jpg (540 KB, 861x1141) Image search: [Google]
ikon.jpg
540 KB, 861x1141
>>513352
In his defense, the Holy Spirit is certainly present at Athos and therefore Christ is there also.
>>
>>513329

Christ also visited Japan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shing%C5%8D,_Aomori
>>
>>513352
He didn't fly Jerusalem with a horse. He teleported Jerusalem, than flew to heaven, hell and god with a flying horse.
>>
File: super sayyid.jpg (105 KB, 562x421) Image search: [Google]
super sayyid.jpg
105 KB, 562x421
>>513363
so like star trek?

ALLAH BEAM ME UP
>>
File: mother-teresa-with-her-people.jpg (41 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
mother-teresa-with-her-people.jpg
41 KB, 400x300
>>513192
The difference is that the Orthodox don't evangelize, for better or for worse. It's not xenophobia in the slightest.

They happily accept converts, but they'll never go to 3rd countries just to tell them the Truth, because they consider most evangelicism to be vain and self-centered (which it is).
>>
File: NUFF SAID!.png (348 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
NUFF SAID!.png
348 KB, 800x600
>>513363
>>
>>513360
Christ is everywhere his church is.
>>
File: HIM.jpg (478 KB, 2000x1026) Image search: [Google]
HIM.jpg
478 KB, 2000x1026
>>513379
Amen.
>>
>>513352
>christ visiting athos
the anon never claimed it. only the one american.

>According to the Athonite tradition, the Blessed Virgin Mary was sailing accompanied by St John the Evangelist from Joppa to Cyprus to visit Lazarus. When the ship was blown off course to then pagan Athos it was forced to anchor near the port of Klement, close to the present monastery of Iviron. The Virgin walked ashore and, overwhelmed by the wonderful and wild natural beauty of the mountain, she blessed it and asked her Son for it to be her garden. A voice was heard saying "Ἔστω ὁ τόπος οὖτος kλῆρος σὸς kαὶ περιβόλαιον σὸν kαὶ παράδεισος, ἔτι δὲ kαὶ λιμὴν σωτήριος τῶν θελόντων σωθῆναι" (Translation: "Let this place be your inheritance and your garden, a paradise and a haven of salvation for those seeking to be saved"). From that moment the mountain was consecrated as the garden of the Mother of God and was out of bounds to all other women.

>>513329
young friend, never act from your boundaries, always from your center
>>
>>513337

Made me look.

Some pious Jews also fast every Monday and Thursday in commemoration of the destruction of the Temple, of the burning of the Torah, and of the desecration of God's name (comp. Luke xviii. 12).

http://jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/6033-fasting-and-fast-days

Interesting. Same two days as Muslims:

It is narrated on the authority of Abu Hurayrah, may Allah be pleased with him that he said: the Messenger of Allah said: "The deeds (of mankind) are presented (to Allah) every Monday and Thursday, and I like that my deed be presented (to Allah) while I am fasting." [At-Tirmidhi and Classifies it as Hasan (Good)]
>>
>>513110
What? Christians can't convert because there is no church near them? Wtf?
>>
>>513372
wut. they actually do evangelize, even in third world. they just don't like proselytizing.
>>
File: überburger 2016.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
überburger 2016.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>513388
burgers are stupid anon, you can't confront them with reason. they will only bend through even more eager stupidity.

t. donald trump
>>
File: shig.png (121 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
shig.png
121 KB, 300x300
>>513372
>they consider most evangelicism to be vain and self-centered (which it is).

Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
- Mt 28:19
>>
File: d7b4b5x.jpg (116 KB, 817x978) Image search: [Google]
d7b4b5x.jpg
116 KB, 817x978
>>513385
>the Christian equivalent to a Star Wars poster
>Testament II: A New Hope
>Gospel words follow
>>
>>513392

Same with Jews and Muslims.

>jewish conversion requires three rabbis
>Muslim conversion requires at least one witness
>evangelical christian suggests witnesses, but not required

Orthodox and Catholic conversions are second only to Jewish conversions in terms of time commitment and complexity, to the best of my knowledge, among major (vise Jains, Shinto, etc.) religions.
>>
>>513385
>includin fucking communists on that picture
>>
>>513411
fuggin gommies
>>
File: Host.jpg (465 KB, 981x1200) Image search: [Google]
Host.jpg
465 KB, 981x1200
>>513403
No, there is nothing holy about Star Wars.
>>
>>513385

i-is that trotsky?
>>
>>513404
>muslim conversion requires at least one witness

No, saying shahada is enough. And it is for joining the religioun. Converting between sects has no formality.
>>
>>513392
The Orthodox Church recognizes pretty much every baptism so long as it's done according to the Trinitarian Formula, by a baptized Christian. As long as you know a baptized Christian willing to baptize you, you can convert..
>>
>>513414
And what the hell is holy about Trotsky and Stalin?
>>
File: aram-catholicos-in-egypt-01.jpg (185 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
aram-catholicos-in-egypt-01.jpg
185 KB, 1500x1000
>>513393
> arguing semantics

We're in agreement, here. They don't "proselytize" and thus get accused as not being SJW enough, detached from the world, "XENOPHOBIC!!!" etc.

There's Orthodox from Ethiopia up to Russia.
>>
Well, this thread got out of hand. Thanks for all the advice though.
>>
>>513411
>>513413
>>513416
you realize the painting is about Russia as a whole, and the Orthodox Church being central to Russia as a whole.

So, yes, off in the fucking corner is Trotsky and Stalin.
>>
>>513427
fuck I never noticed your trip

die pls
>>
>>513418

Well, if you want to go to Mecca you need a certificate, and that certificate is witnessed by your "religious leader."

Although yes you're absolutely right I misspoke. All it takes is the shahada, which is one reason that the Virginia school district was so pissed off.

>arabic class
>could have just had them copy jesus prayer
>older than Shahada anyway
>>
File: Seraph.jpg (143 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Seraph.jpg
143 KB, 600x450
>>513420
Nothing and you see they do not have halos.

Light shines in darkness.
>>
>>513186
>which was actively forbade in a Latin Ecumenical Council as "heretical".
We already told you that it wasnt declared heretical, Constantine. Stop strawmanning like the good ortho-secular pawn you are
>>
>>513422
well, it's a semantic difference that the Orthodox Church makes. evangelizing can be talking about Jesus, but just so much as being loving and setting an example is also evangelizing, which is in fact the basis for Orthodox evangelism
>>
>>513419

Wait.

So if I was forcibly converted by some whacked out Christian sect, according to the Orthodox Church I'm Orthodox (if I want)?

Then what's up with all of the classes?
>>
>>513385

neekid girl child. In an icon?

Well I suppose if Trotsky made it, then a barely-legal butt could.
>>
>>513453
If you are baptized with a will against it, then it's an invalid baptism

and no, you wouldn't be "Orthodox" Christian, you'd be Christian, not orthodox unless you subscribed to orthodox Christianity. You also would lack confession so you couldn't get post-baptism spiritual cleansing.
>>
File: 1443584286503.jpg (185 KB, 526x700) Image search: [Google]
1443584286503.jpg
185 KB, 526x700
>>513457
I see where your attention is focused.
>>
>>513461

Yes, I was forced into it. There are some crazies in this world.

I was just curious. It doesn't make any difference for me. Unless I have an experience like Fr. Lazurus of the Desert, I'm not likely to ever convert.
>>
>>513474

I saw Trotsky first. But upon closer inspection, please tell me it's possible to NOT see that.

They put it there. I just noticed what is taking up a prominent position and real estate in the (what is it exactly?) image.
>>
File: 1422918161596.jpg (97 KB, 399x700) Image search: [Google]
1422918161596.jpg
97 KB, 399x700
>>513495
You should see Christ first and it is possible not to see it; if you are blind.

It is a painting.
>>
>>513416

Satan himself in some Orthodox icons. Obviously not as a venerated figure, but as someone in a scene
>>
>>513520
>It is a painting.
no, it's The Holy Commy Icon of Rusia, m8ovski

Show some respect
>>
File: 1444234090233.jpg (11 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1444234090233.jpg
11 KB, 200x200
>>513524
Nyet, is painting.
>>
>>513385
Who's the qt on the left?
>>
>>513538

I've been asking that for hours. Looks like all the Orthobros are trying to say we're degenerate for noticing.
>>
>>513520

I COMMENTED on Trotsky first. I'm not sure what I actually SAW first since I wasn't in an fMRI with eye tracking at the time.

Good lord.
>>
>>513385
Where's Tolstoy?
>>
>>513110
Dude orthodoxy is indeed church of Christ and it's protected and kept one by Jesus Himself.. but humans inside it are corrupted.. everyone has free will even priests..
Just get baptized in orthodox church go trough the mandatory communions which are mentioned in the bible.. and other than that don't give money, don't visit the church too often.. fuck it.
Read books on your own, study on your own.. stay away from the church as an organization.. never give money to the pigs ;) and you'll be safe.
>>
>>513670
Front row, all the way to the right.
>>
>>513110

>posts pic of Constantinople
>obviosly extremely impressionable to accept a religious faith because of "take back Constantinople" threads and other faggotry
>uses a slavic name
>uses all this to build some kind of identity
>>
>>513674
>being this Romanian
>>
>>513690
>uses a slavic name
Perhaps he's a Slav? Have you considered that?
>>
File: u.jpg (357 KB, 1200x1143) Image search: [Google]
u.jpg
357 KB, 1200x1143
>>513697

yea, it is kinda like this
>>
File: 1437905889969.jpg (71 KB, 736x736) Image search: [Google]
1437905889969.jpg
71 KB, 736x736
>>513689
))))
>>
>>513207
Nonreligious reformed Jews: god tier
Orthodox fedora tippers (and other): autists at Constantine levels
>>
File: serbian-icon8-400.jpg (59 KB, 400x583) Image search: [Google]
serbian-icon8-400.jpg
59 KB, 400x583
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzj8x6fxcxI

Blagosloven esi, Gospodi, nauchi mja opravdaniem Tvoim.
Angel'skij sobor udivilsja,
zrja Tebe v mertvykh vmenivshasja, smertnuju zhe,
Spase, krepost' razorivsha, i s soboju Adama vozdvigsha,
i ot ada vsja svobozhdsha.
Angel mironosicam veshchashe:
,,Pochto mira s milostivnymi slezami,
o uchenicy, rastvorjaete?``
Blistajajsja vo grobe Angel mironosicam veshchashe:
,,Vidite vy grob i urazumejte:
Spas bo voskrese ot groba.``
Blagosloven esi, Gospodi,
nauchi mja opravdaniem tvoim.
Zelo rano mironosicy techakhu ko grobu Tvoemu rydajushchija,
No predsta k nim Angel i reche:
,,Rydanija vremja presta, ne plachite,
voskresenie zhe apostolom rcyte.``
Mironosicy zheny, s miry prishedshija
ko grobu Tvoemu, Spase, rydakhu.
Angel zhe k nim reche, glagolja:
,,...Chto s mertvymi zhivago pomyshljaete?
Jako Bog bo vokrese ot groba.``
Slava Otcu i Synu i svjatomu Dukhu.
Poklonimsja Otcu i Ego Synovi, i Svjatomu Dukhu,
Svjatej Troice vo edinom sushchestve,
s serafimy zovushche:
svjat, svjat, svjat esi, Gospodi.
I nyne i prisno i vo veki vekov, amin'.
Zhiznodavca rozhdshi, grekha,
Devo, Adama izbavila esi.
Radost' zhe Eve v pechali mesto podala esi;
padshija zhe ot zhizni k sej napravi,
iz Tebe voplotivyjsja Bog i chelovek.
Allilujia, allilujia, allilujia, slava Tebe, Bozhe.

>Christmas is coming
>>
>>513735
what language is this?
>>
>>513372

That isn't true at all. There are plenty of Orthodox missions all over the world.
>>
>>513759
Sounds like Church Slavonic.
>>
>>513733
Reformed Judaism is just a social club, though. Even LaVeyan Satanism has more substance.
>>
File: Kiev_psalter.jpg (201 KB, 494x601) Image search: [Google]
Kiev_psalter.jpg
201 KB, 494x601
>>513759
Church Slavonic
>>
>>513770
In fact, converts are not even considered legally Jewish by Israel. Converts to Orthodox Judaism are though.
>>
>>513142
>>513158
>>513192
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_K%C3%BC%C3%A7%C3%BCk_Kaynarca

The Russian-Orthodox relationship is more than incidental.

>>513110
I don't know much about the Orthodox Church personally, but I can say that if you're looking to convert you're doing more than just swapping denominations. You'll be making an outright cultural shift.

Signing up for the Orthodox Church is kind of a big deal, and so is signing up for the Catholic so maybe you ought to sit on it for a bit.
>>
>>513770
As someone not talking completely out of my ass like you are, I would say that it's more like Protestantism but with less retarded congregants.
>>
>>513770
>>513776
>>514738
reform judaism doesn't even require you believe in God, it's cultural and nothing more.

all of it's practitioners would have been stoned to death 2000 years ago.
>>
>>514748
There's a significant spiritual and ritual side to it.
>>
>>514763
totally optional IIRC

and even if it isn't optional, it's basically new age.
>>
>>514763
>>514776
*the spiritual part, anyways

ritual, I'm sure.
>>
>>514780
It's basically the same level of devotion most Christians have. It's just that we're more honest about it.
>>
>>513110
Read more into the doctrine of the Holy, CATHOLIC, and Apostolic church before you consider. If you prefer the Byzantine rite (same as orthodox) to the Latin rite, consider finding a Byzantine Catholic Church.

However, I am happy that you have departed from the heresy of lutheranism and plan to join a true church. I wish you the best.
>>
orthodoxfag here

>mfw people assume orthodox church is a universal one

technically it is but in practice it's balkanized along ethnonational lines

good luck finding an orthodox church that speaks english or whatever your language is
>>
File: 5428912.jpg (320 KB, 1099x818) Image search: [Google]
5428912.jpg
320 KB, 1099x818
>>514974
It's about a lot more than that, but as long as we're on the topic, the Orthodox Church also has Western Rites (similar to *pre* Tridentine Mass, that is, it's similar to Medieval Catholic, right down to the style of iconography). Pic related, a Western Rite Orthodox Church

This is the the Liturgy o St. Germanus, the French Orthodox Rite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGvjx1102U8

COME HOME, CHRIST BRO
>>
>>513273
Orthodox church are heretics that deny the federal headship and that Adam's sin was imputed unto us. They believe in justification by works too.
>>
>>515243
Orthodox do not believe in original sin as something passed down by conception, but we believe in it as a condition that all of creation suffers from. That is why animals are mortal.

The Bible says you need works.
>>
>>515263
So animals have souls?

Also are you actually American or is this just memery?
>>
>>515439
Yes, animals have souls, they just can't sin. We're not Roman Catholics.
>>
>>515483
Seriously you are LARPer with no basis in reality.

Watch the debate between Sungenis and White on justification by faith

And watch Keith Thompson's refutation of Beyond Augustine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2NlL6kEYko

Also google federal headship.

However you won't do anything I mentioned since most of you converts are just in it for the LARPing and just the smugness you get.
>>
>>513278
Have you ever had to live among orthodox? Because I have. It's constant bickering over interpretations of interpretations of jewish law. In fact if you have a dinner with a group of Jews outside the immediate family that's one thing you can expect after dinner, about 20 minutes of bitching on how to pray. It's not cut and dry at all.
>>
>>515507
Since I cannot love in my sinful state, but can only be a vessel for the Holy Spirit's love, I must indeed LARP love.

All glory to God, my brother in Christ.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NdRrteT_U
>>
>>515536
The Eastern church does not have the gospel. I love all people. But I don't like the snobbery of some of the Orthodox folk here. Forgive me if I generalized you.

My fear brother is that many are deceived. I love the rich tradition of Eastern Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism is why after I turned from those two denominations I set my eyes on Lutheranism or Anglicanism, because they retained the liturgy. I of course listen to Byzantine chants of the pslams. I enjoy the paintings of some Roman Catholics and Russian Orthodox literature. Very beautiful indeed.

But where I drawn the line and people the need to rebuke these two churches is that people aren't justified by works. Sanctification is a process where good works are evidences of a saved person though. I the draw line at theology.
>>
>>515552
Well, brother, I don't really subscribe to modernist liturgies, and I think works are absolutely crucial for all Christians, but if you live in humility and love, then you are my brother.
>>
>>515566
Romans 4:5 "And to the one who does not work but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness,"

Romans 3:28 "For we hold that one is justified by faith apart from works of the law."

Romans 5:1 "Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ."

Galatians 5:1-6 "5 For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery. Look: I, Paul, say to you that if you accept circumcision, Christ will be of no advantage to you. I testify again to every man who accepts circumcision that he is obligated to keep the whole law. You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified[a] by the law; you have fallen away from grace. For through the Spirit, by faith, we ourselves eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness. For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith working through love."

We are justified or in others word are in right standing with God when we have faith in Jesus Christ. When we have faith we mean that we believe that he was the final sacrifice for his elect. He covered our sins. Justification happens once and for all. Sanctificationn is a life-long process. I am just concerned you left Protestantism because you got taken in the by the tradition of men and not the word of God which I believe is absent in these churches.

Hebrews 10:11-14 "And every priest stands daily at his service, offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, waiting from that time until his enemies should be made a footstool for his feet. For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified."

You are my brother as much as a Muslim, a pagan, a Buddhist or an Atheist is.
>>
>>513146
Thanks for that post, its genuinely helpful
>>
>>513314
>orthodox compulsive disorder
top notch
>>
>>513110
Come to Catholic church and if you don't agree with something or don't like a practice abstain. You're more than welcome, at my local church we get a few orthodox folks and protestants who can't drive out to their respective churches all the time so they just cone in with us
>>
>>513385

Why is there a naked woman in this? Does it somehow represent Russia's lost innocence?
>>
>>515521

Yes, in fact, I have.

I was not at the local yeshiva, but in a Lubavitcher community. They were pretty clear about what needed to be done, when, and how.

I suppose they were too busy trying to save the ton of lapsed Jews in order to bring Moshiach than they were rehashing Mishna.

I don't doubt there's plenty of wasteful mental masturbation, but not in that particular community.
>>
>>515483
Roman Catholics do believe that animals have souls...
>>
>>515636
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Perspective_on_Paul

Protestantism BTFO
>>
>>515636
Show me a Church Father who believes in Sola Fide and Sola Scriptura before you dare shove your shit here.
>>
>>515636
Pretty sure that the Orthodox believe that works are a manifestation of faith and not the means to salvation
>>
>>518456
Can Constantine or some other Orthodude confirm/deny this?
>>
File: image.jpg (305 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
305 KB, 640x1136
Protestants, how does this feel?
>>
>>518472
>encouraging Autimus Maximus
>>
>>518472
Yes, what >>518456 says is true. Faith is the driver that spurs one towards works.

The problem is that it differs from Sola Fide since according to it, God mind controls the person into doing good works. The individual person is merely a passive drone being controlled by God in Salvation. In contrast, Orthodoxy sees the person as struggling and co-working with God in this as an active agent.
>>
>>518411
ignore it, most Orthodox cant bother to even understand RC doctrine.

>look up Original Sin and Ancestral Sin
>all articles are Orthodox sites
>read the first lines
>basically "even though Catholics say this isnt their postion, we'll treat it as it is"
>mfw
I just hope Rome can change their mind about the Balamand declaration and declare it null so we can adopt the Uniate method that worked well with the schismatics
>>
>>518562
As an Orthodox I'm quite ashamed by this desu, especially its overhatred of St Augustine.
Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.