[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the narrative of the current age?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6
File: s.jpg (88 KB, 817x1229) Image search: [Google]
s.jpg
88 KB, 817x1229
What is the narrative of the current age?
>>
>>512400

For whom?
>>
>>512414
For whoever you feel like you can provide a good answer. For you, for starters, probably.
>>
>>512400
Meme implosion.

Are you ready for the post-meme age?
>>
>>512458
What will it be like?
>>
File: trump.gif (225 KB, 792x550) Image search: [Google]
trump.gif
225 KB, 792x550
>>512463
Hopefully less retarded.
>>
>>512400
idk. These things don't become shown until the current is the past.
>>
Pre-empathic age
>>
>>512436

'Progress into Oblivion'. This isn't a novel observation, but on the one hand we see and hear of all the exciting breakthroughs in technology that are just around the corner and that will solve all of our problems, while on the other hand it is obvious that the dilemmas we face can't be put off in the hopes of technical salvation, or simply aren't the kinds of problems that can be solved so simply. These are immediate threats to our existence, mind. But we attend to them, when we do, as if they are merely barriers to or distractions from our real goal, which I guess is immortality and total knowledge, both of which are impossible in principle.
>>
>>512501
Maybe not as grim-dark as this poster put it. But yeah, this will be known as the age of decisions. The world has globalized at such a rate that our policies haven't been able to keep up with it. The industrialisation/urbanisation is showing it's downsides (via pollution, limited resources, future energy). And we generally still don't know how to share this finite space with each other. Sadly some of those questions, like environment questions can't really be forwarded to future generaitons much longer.
>>
File: 1450734473843.jpg (101 KB, 1158x834) Image search: [Google]
1450734473843.jpg
101 KB, 1158x834
>>
>>512501
>>512512
Don't we simply feel like this because it's the age we live in?

People in the past probably thought similarly of their own ages.

Although I guess it's true that the scale of problems is ever-increasing.
>>
>>512517
from wiki on meta-modernism

>According to them, the metamodern sensibility "can be conceived of as a kind of informed naivety, a pragmatic idealism", characteristic of cultural responses to recent global events such as climate change, the financial crisis, political instability, and the digital revolution.

> Instead, it proposed metamodernism as "the mercurial condition between and beyond irony and sincerity, naivety and knowingness, relativism and truth, optimism and doubt, in pursuit of a plurality of disparate and elusive horizons.
>>
>>512522
Not necessarily.
The narrative of technological advance and salvation through technology is only relatively new in human history, and we still havent overcome it.

The question of salvation was maybe always present, but through very different ways overtime.

>>512517
where is this from?
>>
>>512548
>where is this from?

No idea, I saved it from another /his/ thread.
>>
>>512522
I feel like the opinion has quickly shifted in the late 2000. In the 90s the world looked future with optimism. Now it seems there are more bad news each day that passes. Those problems aren't unsolvable, but realities to solve those problems would require shit load of sacrifice, especially from the wealthy west who needs to realise it is living on debt (and I am not talking about financial debt here).
>>
>>512560
Was 9/11 the reason? Or was it Metal Gear Solid 2?
>>
>>512560
the problems were always there.
the west was just too busy celebrating the end of the USSR and the (supposed) hegemony of western liberal democratic thought based on the principles of the illuminism.
The problems and issues that trouble the west nowadays are just as pressing or worrisome as during the 1980's. Its just that at the time, the west had an apparently bigger adversary present.
>>
>>512544
so basically, metamodernism is like reading all that Foucault and co. wrote and still faithfully defend liberalism and capitalism while being aware of its limitations and problems?
>>
File: 1450734539749.jpg (23 KB, 652x334) Image search: [Google]
1450734539749.jpg
23 KB, 652x334
>>512557
Also saved these two from the same thread.
>>
File: 1450734675655.jpg (43 KB, 1063x715) Image search: [Google]
1450734675655.jpg
43 KB, 1063x715
>>512645
>>
>>512645
4chan is truly post-ironic
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.