[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is a History major Worth it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: proscons.jpg (60 KB, 546x362) Image search: [Google]
proscons.jpg
60 KB, 546x362
I'm 6 months away from my HS graduation and plan on getting my Phd in History (Haven't decided on a field yet).

Now i'm not expecting an Indiana Jones style of history with lots of traveling and exploring anceint ruins. However I also know that it won't just be me researching the same books everyday.

What I wan't to know is if going into History at all is worth it; before I plan on shipping out from HS.
>>
>>51210
No. You have yet to actually practice history yet. High school doesn't really prepare you for it. Take a couple of history classes (you'll have to for basic studies anyway) before you decide. But if you're not going to teach or go to law school, it's a waste.
>>
>>51210
You want anthropology, then for grad school you can specialize in archaeology
>>
What's your alternative? I'd say it would be nice, if you pick your classes wisely. It can also be important to have a wide basis of knowledge if you plan on having a strong academic path.
>>
>>51250
>go to law school
Please don't. We're full.
>>
>>51210
lmao no
>>
>>51210
Don't do it. What are you job expectations? salary? how do you see yourself in 10 years?
>>
>>51210
>PhD

Are you going into academia and/or actually publishing your research?
If not, I don't see the point of getting a doctorate

I'm majoring in history as a springboard to grad school for library science
>>
>>51210
>Is a History major Worth it?

Fuck no.
>>
>>51210
Was wondering this but I have a BA in business and wanted to get a history MA and teach. How is it?
>>
>>51210
It isn't.

Most college level history classes are also pretty boring. You'll have to read 200 pages/week/class of stuff that repeats itself over and over.

History is a garbage-tier major.

Poli sci ftw.
>>
>>52102
>poli sci ftw

Sorry to break this to you but your degree is no better than history. Do what everyone else did and go to law school and see >>51879
>>
>>51210
History degrees don't work that way and your expectations are all wrong. There are no jobs that give you money to go out and be Indiana Jones. You can get grants for archaeology but that's really difficult and not as thrilling as you think.

A bachelors will get you the skills to do office work or teach very low level. If you're okay with either of those, go for it. I got a history degree and currently work for a healthcare company. Exciting stuff.

A masters will let you teach and maybe do museum work if you can find a job of someone who just retired or died. A PhD will let you teach and be more likely to get a museum job, but probably you'll teach and maybe research and write books/papers depending on your college.
>>
>study humanities
>not philosophy

get gud
>>
>>52102
>Poli sci ftw.
Despite the accuracy of the rest of your post because of this it must be disregarded.
>>
>>51990
>>51985
>>52228
>>52102
So not worth it huh? Well thats disappointing to say the least. Guess I'll go to plan B then and hope I finish my book before I turn 25.
>>
File: proscons.png (304 KB, 546x362) Image search: [Google]
proscons.png
304 KB, 546x362
>>51210
>>
>>52291
It's just a sad reality that it's not worth it to simply study things you like. If there's no light at the end of the tunnel, you'll get crushed.
>>
>>52102
you're taking poli-sci and you comment about pages other majors to read?

what kind of garbage poli-sci department are you under?
>>
>>51210
Well it depends; how good do you need to be at Trivial Pursuit?
>>
File: pepe (44).jpg (22 KB, 533x477) Image search: [Google]
pepe (44).jpg
22 KB, 533x477
>>52291
>Guess I'll go to plan B then and hope I finish my book before I turn 25
>>
>>52389
Eh, I've always been prepared for the worst; had to with my life. So I have no choice but to go to plan B and hope for the best, cause plan C involves mustard gas.
>>
>>52291
Well I think there's a lot of worth in studying history: developing a better understanding of the world, analytic skills, etc.

However, in terms of financial worth, history is low on the totem pole
>>
>>52434
At least he's writing something... it seems all you have achieved is saving 44 pepes on your hard drive.
>>
>>51210
University adminfag here. Honestly it's not. Here are the jobs you can get with a history degree:
>Law school
One of the worst job markets out there right now. We're talking sub-5% hiring rates 90 days after graduation bad. Most fall back on whatever they did their undergrad in or go back and get a business masters.

>Professor
There are two problems with going this route.
1. You need to teach whatever you specialized in, and think back to how old those history professors were. The only people having a harder time finding university jobs are biologists.
2. If you want to teach underclassmen history you'll be hired as an adjunct making $3k per class per semester if you're lucky.
Professorships as a whole are increasingly hard to come by since nobody wants to retire. This SHOULD be fixed in about 15 years when the boomers start dying, but that's still a long time away.

>High school teacher
Teachers have one of the worst retention rates in the country if you're not living somewhere with a strong union (Seattle, New York, Chicago, etc) and everyone is competing for those jobs. Even PhDs.

>Museum curator
I haven't seen a job opening for one of those in years.

tl;dr - if you get a history degree don't expect to be a historian.
>>
>>52291
If you really really love it, it's worth it. I loved it and I don't regret it even though it's not directly tied to a career path like comp sci. Work and money are not the most important things in my life.

But if you want to have actual money you need to go into a career path.
>>
>>52291
You probably have nothing of value to say or or add. Don't peg your hopes on your high school level book lmao.
>>
>>52484
>>
>>52579
You're probably right. I wanted to at least lern, but if it isn't worth it, then I don't have the time or money to waste attempting to learn.
>>
File: IMG_0262.jpg (80 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0262.jpg
80 KB, 600x600
>>51210
Thank for opening up this wound again, anon.

>tfw I'm going to college next year, too
>tfw I have no idea what I want to do with my life
>>
>>51210
Unless you're relatively wealthy already and are quite adept at history I would not recommend it. Choose another major; economics, maybe, or a general science degree for undergrad. Get a bachelors in both, go to grad school and you'll find that they're much more willing to hire someone with diverse experience.

The university I currently attend has 10 history professors with tenure. It had 11 last year but one died and the school decided it didn't have the funds to replace him, just a thought.
>>
>>52785
Anon you won't graduate from college and immediately know what you're going to do with your life. Just FYI
>>
>>52291
Listen well kiddo, unless you want to set yourself up for a life of failure and regret, do NOT put yourself in debt for a worthless degree. Go get an honest career in the trades or the military if you're not a science guy.

History is a hobby first and foremost, you'll still have plenty of time to read and write while doing other stuff, and you won't have to pay tens of thousands of dollars to do it either.
>>
>>52922
But I have to go to college. I'll be seen as a failure to my family if I don't.
>>
>>53080
Do you have any other interests?
>>
>>53080
You don't have to do anything once you're legally an adult.
College isn't a great achievement in this day and age, it's something that millions of retarded high school students sign themselves up for because it's what everyone else is doing.
>>
If you're looking for money history is absolutely not worth it. That said, I don't regret studying history. It's a subject I thoroughly enjoy, and I wouldn't give up 4 years of history for a high paying job doing something I don't want to do.
>>
>>51210
wtf no

http://data.bls.gov/projections/occupationProj

If you are american use BLS to determine growth fields and get a degree to help you there. I love history but as a 34 year old with a history degree, i would have been better off with an associates in web design.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.