[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can /his/ name some wars where both Christians and Muslims fought
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: 1446409687226.png (120 KB, 387x357) Image search: [Google]
1446409687226.png
120 KB, 387x357
Can /his/ name some wars where both Christians and Muslims fought side by side that happened before 1800?
>>
I'm certain I've read of conflicts on the Iberian Peninsula during/before Reconquista where Christians fought alongside Cordoba muslims against enemy Christians.
>>
>>512092
I heard before the british split up the middle east, the jews and muslims were on really good terms with eachother. Is this true?
>>
>>512092
The Crusades.

Muslim mercenaries in Crusader armies. Christfaggot Turkics and Arabs in Muslim armies.
>>
>>512117

It came and went, and varied hugely by locale.

But, for example, the Ottomans fielded all Jewish military units against the Hungarians.

>>512092

A lot of the Balkan conflicts had smaller Christian states allied with the Ottomans, the Wallachians switched sides about half a dozen times, and fought for the Turk as often as not. And I don't know the are all that well, but I'm sure the Russians had local alliances with Muslim chiefs as they expanded eastwards into Siberia.
>>
>>512092
the early battles of islam in the 7th century. where entire tribes of christians and jews fought alongside the muslims against the romans and their allies.
>>
>>512092
the 11th and 12 centuries
>In Sicily and Spain there was also a mixture of warfare as well as co-operation between Muslims and Christians. Most of the warfare was generally territorial rather than religious in inspiration, though both sides were happy to whip up religious fervour if they wanted. Both Muslims and Christians switched sides and fought alongside members of the other faith against members of their own if it was to their advantage and both Muslim lords and their Christian counterparts were happy to accept the service of units from the other side as mercenaries.

1300–1453 Ottoman
>Orhan I organized a standing army paid by salary rather than booty or fiefs. The infantry were called yayas and the cavalry was known as müsellems. The force was made up by foreign mercenaries for the most part, and only a few Turks were content to accept salaries in place of timars. Foreign mercenaries were not required to convert to Islam as long as they obeyed their Ottoman commanders.

If mercenaries count.
>>
>>512130
Yeah, beyond mercenary troops, I too was thinking stuff like the Austro-Turkish War (1663–64) where the Ottoman Empire is aided by Moldavia and Wallachia, which were Orthodox Christian.

Which further proves that the whole "holy war" business is subordinate to secular interests, sometimes shared by what would otherwise be called "infidels."
>>
They teamed up against the Mongols a few times.
>>
>>512140
Things like the Battle of Köse Dağ and the Battle of Ankara
>>
File: berestechko.jpg (124 KB, 341x771) Image search: [Google]
berestechko.jpg
124 KB, 341x771
>>512092
Tatars weren't as devoted to Islam as Arabs, but here.
>>
>>512092
>where
were
>>
>>512092
not sure if what you're looking for but the impious alliance, henry something of france and ottoman empire in early 1500's
>>
>>512092
The crusader states employed Muslim soldier levied from their subjugated or allied petty Muslim kingdoms
>>
Batlle of Alcacer-Kbir, also known as the batlle of the three kings.
>>
>>512092
Christians often fought for the ruling Muslims in Spain.

El Cid became famous for winning a battle for a muslim lord.
>>
>>512092

The Crusades (yes, really)
The Persian-Byzantine wars
Various wars in Spain
Various Ottoman campaigns
Think the French might have fought with the Ottomans a few times too in the early modern era
>>
>>514350
What ?
>>
>>512140
They teamed up under the mongols quite a few times. Christian Armenia and the Muslim Central Asian both vassal states contributed auxiliaries, while some mongols became muslim or nestorian christian.
>>
File: sicilian_saracen_archers_.jpg (264 KB, 707x1000) Image search: [Google]
sicilian_saracen_archers_.jpg
264 KB, 707x1000
>>512092
The Norman Kings of Sicily fielded Muslim archers in their armies for some time
>>
I think OP meant instances where a Christian nation and a Muslim nation were allies not just Christian soldiers and Muslim mercenaries fighting under the same flag.
>>
>>518267
French allied with the Ottomans numerous times to screw with the Habsburgs.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.