[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Joan of Arc and Christianity
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: Joan_of_Arc-H.jpg (503 KB, 1389x454) Image search: [Google]
Joan_of_Arc-H.jpg
503 KB, 1389x454
Ok so if you're a feminist and atheist do you you find it hard to believe the whole Joan of Arc story: That a peasant girl with no training lead an army because she received a vision from God? Or are you more inclined to believe she was a crazy bitch hearing voices in her head due to schizophrenia?
>>
File: Procopious Secret Waifu.jpg (87 KB, 865x489) Image search: [Google]
Procopious Secret Waifu.jpg
87 KB, 865x489
>>510957
>>
File: joan-of-arc.jpg (862 KB, 1522x2000) Image search: [Google]
joan-of-arc.jpg
862 KB, 1522x2000
>>510957
>I'm a girl btw

I think the skitzo factor may just be a part of the getting a vision from God deal.

For example, before her soul is sent to Earth God tells her, "I need you to do something and here are the conditions that your physical body will have to endure"

Goes to show you how God's most Holy are always killed off even by the ones who say they are "holy"
>>
>>511056
So everyone who believes in Joan of Arc's story is also a Christian then? Ok thanks.
>>511029
What does that have to do with Joan? That book is about a queen.
>>
>le all miracles and prophecies are just mental and neurological disorders meme
Atheism is cancer
>>
>lead an army

She didn't lead anyone nor did she fight in battle, she was a fucking mascot for delusional soldiers to jerk off over.
>>
>>511121
I didn't even mention being a Christian in that post lol. I mean if you believe in her story then you obviously imply you believe in the supernatural.

>mfw see OP
>atheist
>feminism
>>
>>510957
Isn't the prevailing theory that she had a father or close relative who was heavily involved in the war effort, and discussed tactics with her?

As for the vision thing. It's possible that she truly believed it, or that she made it up. It could go either way.
>>
>>511181
If the visions weren't real she wouldn't have died for it
>>
Can a Frog or a Frogaboo tell me what was her place in modern political symbolism in France? Is she considered a national figure? Do people invoke her name sometimes?
>>
>>511162
Yeah I guess I meant religion in general. Though a lot of feminists condemn Christianity specifically because "muh old testament laws"( plus i put that in the subject)
>>
>>511190
She is a patron Saint of France.
>frog posting
Why?
>>
>>511195
That's because feminist are too busy accusing men right away, rather than looking into demiurge of gnostic culture and see where OT suppression might come from. Turns out Jesus is still looking out for us, but women are very quick to judge in rage.
>>
>>511121
"Theodora" has been replaced by "Your Waifu"
>>
Like all legendary figures, her story got exaggerated over time, especially as a moral lesson got applied to her. No different than the exaggerated story of the saints.
>>
GLORIFIED
>>
>>511243
I know but it's still a shitty joke. Joan took a vow of chastity before she set off to fight/ lead armies.
Probably because she knew a military life would leave her with little room for having children.
>>
How many times was she raped after she was captured?
>>
>>511248
So what are you saying happened? She lever actually lead the army?They just let a 16 year old girl peasant on the battlefield for no reason thinking she would do fine? Or what she was just a mascot holding the banners? That begs the former question.
>>
The people of then were much like the people of now, meaning they would believe whatever bulllshit because the wife of the cousin of the grandma of the soldier who knows that other guy who stands guard at the chaplain's tent totally said God is on our side, I swear. For this purpose they put a rambling peasant girl in a shiny suit of armor, accompanied by a squire who had to make sure she didn't get stuffed with arrows, and this greatly improved morale. And morale was crucial in medieval warfare, because the bulk of the army was comprised of terrified farmers with pointy sticks, and if they run, it's over: they needed something to push them on and Joan served the purpose perfectly. The English, who were just as ready to believe everything, burned Joan as a witch, thus consolidating the rumors around her and contributing to her cult.
>>
>>511266
No one is going to rape a claimed "witch," you fool out of superstition.
>>
>>511257
How's your first day on 4chan going?
>>
>>511281
It's not my first day. I just don't care about the shitty empress maymays because it stopped being funny after that initial posting in the historical sexual deviance thread. Now post actual useful content or leave.
>>
>>511234
True Abraham was living (and probably) in the area of the pagan cultures for years until God called him to leave and worship him. At that point, he was probably socialized by a lot of their customs/ gender roles.
>>
>>511339
Okay, okay, okay. But try to be more thick-skinned. Respond like that and you are basically inviting more shitposting down upon your head.
>>
where do you think she learned all her sword play and tactical knowledge that made her so successful in battle? Just god given gifts? Natural?
>>
>>511281
Very good thanks :)
>>
>>511424
I'd let her play with muh sword tbqhfam
>>
>>510957
She didn't lead an army- Joan was a figurehead. A person to act as a morale boost and convince the troops that god was behind them, so France wouldn't just roll over and let the English win. To my knowledge there's no proof of her being a grand strategist, rather she convinced France that there was still fight within them.
>>
>>511424
Maybe she played strategy rpgs
>>
File: 1444679964433.jpg (9 KB, 255x247) Image search: [Google]
1444679964433.jpg
9 KB, 255x247
>mfw really interested in how this random girl led an army so well
>only meme responses in this thread
Even wikipedia only gives the "magical visions" side of the story.
>>
>>511531
Do you not fucking understand she wasn't a general nor an army leader, but instead a morale booster? The soldiers were sure of victory because there was a saint in their midst. Go back to reddit
>>
>>511409
>be more thick-skinned
How was I being emotional? I clearly said I just didn't find the meme in this context funny especially because it died days ago.
>>511480
Sauce though?
>>
>>510957
I think that she sucked off the entire French court to get her command of the army, won a few battles through sheer luck and got burned like the dreadful witch she was
>>
>>513987
> "You think"
We like actual sources here
>>>/pol/
>>
>>511531

From what I hear, supposedly, Knights in France fought like most in actually not trying to kill, or rather, treat it like a sport. The only problem is, England was in it to win it, and so they were not so willing to play by the "rules."

Joan basically came along and said fuck this shit and actually make the french army fight like a proper army against the English.

Again, thats based on my limited knowledge of the subject.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.