[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Non-Aligned Movement
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 20110308125117!NAM_Members.png (103 KB, 940x415) Image search: [Google]
20110308125117!NAM_Members.png
103 KB, 940x415
Did the third world "Non-Aligned Movement" actually achieve anything of value during the Cold War or was it as completely irrelevant as today?

In principle the idea of poorer nations banding together to protect themselves from the ambitions of the Western block and the Soviets seems pretty cool... but they didn't actually achieve anything did they?
>>
It was really only unified on the grounds that the members were not officially aligned with either the United States or the USSR

I don't think much would've been possible, considering the vast differences among the members on issues like economics, religion, foreign policy etc
>>
Ask Nasser.
>>
>>509014
They ultimately failed in most cases to protect against the influences they sought to reject. Especially in Latin America and Africa, there were tons of superpower-backed revolutions, coups, and upheavals that there was little international cooperation to combat.

That being said, there were a few nations like Yugoslavia, Egypt, Syria, etc who played off both sides for their own benefit.
>>
>>509070
What is that supposed to mean?
>>
File: 1432696231495.png (136 KB, 414x338) Image search: [Google]
1432696231495.png
136 KB, 414x338
I think it would of been cool of all these countries just decided to band together and try to screw the 1st and 2nd worlds.
Not anything serious just pranks. Cept on a global scale.
Well that's my childish opinion anyway.
>>
>>509094
>implying we didnt

Then again, we expelled both the USSR and USA embassies and not having an army helped to. There was that time when USA tried to "invade" us and build an illegal airport on our territory but we destroyed it and that was it. Not having local commies for the USSR to use helped too.
>>
>>509806
Who is we?
>>
>>509554
You mean like a child plays his two divorced kids against each other for more stuff?

It's been done before and it's pretty funny.
>>
>>509014
>Non-Aligned Movement

dont really know about other country but here in indonesia the movement wasnt really sucessfull as sukarno gets couped by cia-backed soeharto which proceeds to kill millions of supposedly communist symphatizers,
>>
>>509875
>not having an army helped to
i'm guessing costa rica
>>
>>509875
Me, my dick, and you are mum.
>>
As someone from Chile, I have empirical evidence to say at least here, that "non alligned" stuff is nothing but bullshit.

It goes three ways
>position A
>position B
>position C: both sides need you, and you profit from both, if you step out of line you get fucked.
>>
it worked well for India initially though.
Nehru and Lal bahadur died too fucking soon though.
>>
>>512025
what? no one wants to talk about how it affected a a founding country of the NAM?
>>
>>512025
>>512041
India was more or less an economical puppet of the SU until Indira died
>>
>>509014
Non-Aligned Movement my ass!

that shit was a joke, cuba was spreading communism all over the world and do you really think the USA would ever let Mexico to make his own decisions? we were back then (and probably we are still) a puppet state wearing a mask saying "we're neutral"
>>
>>512173
>india
>SU puppet
yeah. The soviet help to India under nehru was staggeringly high...oh wait it was done by the eternal anglo of all people and largely based around eastern india.
The green revolution of norman borlaug and operation flood was largely done under the government of india along with local farmers and a based kurien.
India used to receive massive amounts of food aid from the US and also military supplies until 1965.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.