[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where to start with Roman Law?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: Maccari-Cicero.jpg (303 KB, 1280x798) Image search: [Google]
Maccari-Cicero.jpg
303 KB, 1280x798
Where to start with Roman Law?
>>
pls respond
>>
>>507056
This is a slow board, give it time friend.
>>
File: implying.jpg (15 KB, 252x233) Image search: [Google]
implying.jpg
15 KB, 252x233
>>507031
I'd recommend starting with the Romans
>>
>>507031
Depends what you mean. If you mean late Roman, the the Code of Justinian is an important document that you can trace many other legal systems to. If you mean day to day Imperial Law, maybe check out the reforms of Julius Ceasar and Augustus. If you mean the modern civil law, check out the Code Napoleon
>>
>>507069
We need a reading list for particular subjects. I'm NEET at the moment and would be willing to help build one.
>>
I think i'd start with Ciceros letters.
>>
>>507078
Any good summaries on the Code of Justinian and it's influence on other legal systems?
>>
>>507080
There's this https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Rq0gUUpoI1Xi_NKpt7iuUdU2xdQzbwSu-g2BzpG_JBc
>>
>>507090
I don't know mate, I'm taking a paper on it later this year. Generally I'd start with the Wikipedia article and start reference chasing.
>>
>>507031
Just go straight into it with Theodor Mommsen. He's the start of the legalistic tradition

Otherwise, just search 'Roman/Rome law' on libgen, where you can find these:

a) Schulz 1936, Principles of Roman Law
[highly recommended as a handbook for references]

b) Sherwin-White 1963, Roman Society and Roman Law in the New Testament
[a more social account, as was S-W's wont]

c) Tellegen-Couperus 1993, A Short History of Roman Law
[decent overview, more modern with the scholarship]

d) Bauman 1996, Crime and Punishment in Ancient Rome
[Bauman does good stuff on punishment]

To help you keep track of all the different legal-jargonistic terms, consult: A. Berger 1968, Encyclopedic Dictionary of Roman Law
>>
>>507099
Sweet! When did this start?
>>
>>507099
This should be in the sticky.
>>
>>507056
at the beginning?
the Twelve Tables
>>
>>507084
>>507078
>starting with late republican/VERY late imperial stuff

m8 you will never understand Roman legal development or their mindset when it came to governance without the twelve tables
>>507075
>not starting with the Greeks
>>
>>507473
>not realizing that Greek (i.e. Athenian) law has had almost zero impact on the Western Roman legal tradition
>>
Start with the Greeks.
>>
>>507031

Seven Tables.

Then the Lex Iulia in all its iterations.

Then Justinians code I guess.
>>
>>508328

*twelve tables

I'm a huge faggot please rape my face.
>>
>>508255

This honestly.

duodecim tabulae is heavily influenced by Solonian law which is in turn a reformation of Draconian law.
>>
File: 4711306258885.jpg (97 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
4711306258885.jpg
97 KB, 800x533
>>508332
ok
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.