[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Marcus Aurelius will never be the leader of your country
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 7
File: marcus-aurelius.jpg (161 KB, 715x988) Image search: [Google]
marcus-aurelius.jpg
161 KB, 715x988
>Marcus Aurelius will never be the leader of your country

Why even live?
>>
>>506563
>all people are shit and live is a chore, but i gotta do it anyway

What a bitter broken cunt.
>>
>>506566
he was actually pretty optimistic in his Meditations though
>>
>>506566

>He doesn't understand Stoicism
>>
>>506566
>all people are shit and live is a chore, but i gotta do it anyway

No offense, but what is exactly wrong with this sentence? Most of life is exceptionally dreary, unless you are in the top echelon's of society and have enough resources so you don't have to work.
>>
>>506594
You mean like being the emperor of the Roman Empire?
>>
>>506599
Well even that might've been dreary, considering they were practically the inventors of bureaucracy.
>>
>>506599

Marcus spent most of his life being dutiful and securing the stability and safety of Rome. He didn't partake in any of the excess that Roman Emperors are usually associated with. His life was relatively dreary.
>>
File: photo_1450991144547.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
photo_1450991144547.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>mfw 19 and realize nobody gives a shit about me not my insignificance of my being
>mfw thinking like these edgelord nihilists/existentialists I used to have so much fun insulting with memes

Behold, a door that leads to nothing!
>>
>>506607
nor*
>>
>>506611
>he cared enough to correct it

Oh, you basic living organism, you have so much more growing to do before you become truly depressed.
>>
File: IMG_20151224_003839.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151224_003839.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>506616
Don't worry friend, I am finding myself less and less each day grounding myself in the frivolities and distractions of life. Soon I will be cynic masterrace.

>mfw try to convince myself there is nothing after death but keep on having spooky experiences

I must find a place of complete solitude so that I may wallow in my angst.
>>
File: 1433275423477.gif (2 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
1433275423477.gif
2 MB, 300x225
>>506607
>>506616
>19
>truly depressed
>>
>>506626
>mfw I think like an atheist and want to be one, but then I walk around the room imagining alternative scenarios for my life, all of which require some Greater Power to intervene

Its really confusing. Wanting there to be a God, but only so he can do something very ungodly, like creating a special world for me, where I can do the things I want, and then disappear so that I dont spend my eternal special snowflake life contemplating what caused him to do so and trying to justify his existence.
>>
>>506631
Nigga all I said was that I'm having babies first existential crisis, or at least the first one I can really be introspective about.
>>
>>506639
Karl?
>>
>>506638
I've come to the conclusion that consciousness does not die after death, after that I am still completely ignorant to.

btw you should create something. Your life is nothing and that's why you dream up these fantasies. You'll see short term improvements. Not even projecting.
>>
File: 1779.jpg (20 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
1779.jpg
20 KB, 306x306
>>506645
>I've come to the conclusion that consciousness does not die after death
>>
>>506643
Naw senpai everyone has existential crisis'
>>
>>506647
Rather cease to exist. Sorry mate.
>>
Marcus Aurelius was a good man but a weak Emperor. For the good of the Empire he should have killed his brother and killed his son.
Had he continued the tradition of adopting the most able man to succeed him, the disaster that was the Severan dynasty could have been avoided.
>>
>>506649
I know it's you you sneaky Estonian faggot get off my board
>>
>>506651
I'm still wondering how you came to that conclusion.
>>
>>506655
I'm just some edgy /pol/ tard who's realized his own mortality. I hate this board anyways. All it brings is pain.
>>
File: 10 outa 10.jpg (221 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
10 outa 10.jpg
221 KB, 1024x576
>>506664
try being a 30 something no-friend adult living with your single mother like a large portion of /r9k/ and then you can talk about depression mi familia

I'd honestly rather be a Yazidi fleeing ISIS than one of those lads
>>
>>506645
I have a job, that I am good at. I have a few girls I flirt with, and on and off relationships. I have friends. My relatives like me. I have pets, I grow plants, I helped with the construction of a park and a tourist trail. I donate old clothes and books and magazines, and the orphans sent me back cards and hand crafted trinkets that I display in my above average apartment. I have been published in magazines. I have had video game mods made by me praised. I have had two videos on Youtube of mine go viral. In the last few years I went to courses and became good at dancing, wine tasting, cooking, swimming, yoga (although I couldnt get into the meditation and spiritual part, the actual exercises are working for me). I've traveled to most of the european capital cities, and some of the other ones I considered interesting. Other than bad digestion, I am healthy, and presentable.

If I objectively look at my life, and the lives of those around me, I think I am high quality human material. I live well, better than most.
Yet I dont like it, and spend my free time thinking of fantasy scenarios like that one /tg/ game where random 4chan posters are teleported to a pristine new world to restart civilization or some such.
I know for a fact that if such an impossible thing were to occur, I wouldnt enjoy it, and in fact I'd be so brainfucked that it happened, that I would become some secluded priest hermit trying to figure out what and how happened, and praying to this new God thing all my life, and die in misery. Yet still I keep reading on how to build a house from sticks and mud, how to extract metal from ore, make string from plants.

I think I fucked myself up at some point, but by now fixing myself appears like something those other, lesser people would do, and not myself, who is sophisticated enough to spend his evenings jerking off to hentai and reading experimental archaeology. Like I am broken in that exact perfect way which prevents me from realizing it.
>>
>>506658
It's /x/ tier shit but I did that whole medium thing thinking I was going to show some bitch she's a fraud but she told me the exact sentence my father told me before I died. I broke down I was so spooked. And to a lesser degree reading into certain miracles like the miracle of the Sun at Fatima and all that exorcist bullshit. It's mostly that one fucking sentence that stupid medium said she had to deliver to me from a "male figure". Fuck.
>>
>>506678
>not being able to manipulate his surroundings and peers
>being depressed over something so trivial as being a /r9k/ fag loving with his mom

Dude srs pick something better like your inevitable death and the uncertainty that comes with it. The fight between your rationale and ego. The vanity of being somehow deeply disturbed that one day people won't be blessed with your presence.
>>
>>506680
Utilize your artists spirit instead of seeking validation and superficial normalcy, obviously the goals you've accomplished in life are truly not ones you've wanted to set it for yourself. If all else fails have a child, ultimate form of distraction, validation and hope.
>>
>>506700
To set for yourself*
>>
>>506690
>Dude srs pick something better like your inevitable death and the uncertainty that comes with it. The fight between your rationale and ego. The vanity of being somehow deeply disturbed that one day people won't be blessed with your presence.
the fact that death is inevitable should be a comfort though, there's no reason to try and avoid it and certainly no point in being frightened by it
if it turns out in the end that there is something more after death you can look back on life and not see a bump in the road of fate you've taken up until that moment, your feet are on the road

>>being depressed over something so trivial as being a /r9k/ fag loving with his mom
excuse me if I see nothing trivial about the crippling depression ones life is at when you've lived in stasis since highschool but you still age and sit alone in your stagnant little room wondering if mummy might bring home frozen pizza for dinner
having the dependency on others of an autistic manchild is one of the worst things anyone can come to in life
>>
>>506714
Do you think the guy in your image is depressed?
His poor decision making led to his successor taking an unfavorable path.
>>
>>506714
Get a job dude, I've seen some dude with Downs syndrome working at a home depot putting shit on the shelves, you have no excuse. If you were to work at mcdonalds a few hours out of the week you could buy yourself many pics workout mummy's help.
>>
>>506719
>female
>successor
top kuk

whether Billy boy is depressed that his daughter's a 2-penny slut is irrelevant though

>>506724
>implying I'm projecting
doing fine myself lad I just described at what point in life I'd seriously consider suicide
>>
>>506724
Getting a job is the worst possible thing to do if you are depressed. It will only make you more depressed.
>>
>>506719
Well he sold his daughter to some satanic worshipping pedophile's so yeah I'd assume he would be quite sad realizing that he's basically destroyed his daughters mental health.
>>
>>506732
>female offspring doesnt spread your genes

Top imbecile.
>>
>>506732
Oh shit nigga I thought you were the other guy. SOZ Pham
>>
>>506734
No. Getting a job will distract you from your depression. If you don't believe me try working under the sun for 12 hours a day, back breaking, grueling work. Not only will feel like you accomplished something but you will also get in shape.
>>
>>506738
well when its another lads meat-tube going inside her I think at that point it becomes him spreading his genes instead

also the fact that they'd normally take the fathers last name but that's more artificial I suppose

>imbecile
ay we was having a civil conversation but if you wanna be a cock about it then fuck off back to reddit with your shitty non-problems or to /r9k/ as I suggested with your whining that nobody wants to hear
>>
>>506566
not the fact that you do it, but how you do it.

why do insufferable idiota like you trivialize the praxis this man achieved. his works are full of living wisdom. actual practical philosophy for living well. think before you post such idiocy
>>
>>506748
"getting a job" doesnt imply moving stones from pile A to pile B with headphones on for 12 hours all alone in a field
it implies stress, getting shouted at and being commanded by people you consider your inferiors, and not finding time for things you want to do
>>
>>506754
Your genes spread equally regardless of the gender of your children. You are being a moron.

>le reddit hahaha le /r9k/
Send me to /pol/ and tumblr as well, least you forget. That wont change the fact that you are wrong, on a very basic level.
>>
>>506759
>getting shouted at and being commanded by people you consider your inferiors, and not finding time for things you want to do
>getting shouted at and being commanded by people you consider your inferiors,
>considering anyone to be inferior to you
bit of a piece of shit there my man
>>
>>506768
Are you unemployed?
>>
>>506759
And? That's the whole point. It's not like you can have success or true happiness without stress and work.
>>
>>506767
Not that guy but I think spreading your direct paternal line is just as important as spreading your genes. There must be a reason why nearly every single culture throughout humanity put so much importance on it.
>>
>>506776
Its not like stress is a cure for depression, as you suggested to be the case.
>>
>>506767
>Your genes spread equally regardless of the gender of your children. You are being a moron.
no shit pal but "succession" has nothing to do with genes and is dictated by society

primogeniture
ultimogeniture
agnatic
cognatic

so if we're talking about the social construct of succession then in general it would be a son succeeding his father and passing on the family name rather than a daughter being taken over by another family and used as a breeding sow
>>
>>506563

he wasn't the best emperor, but his books sure are great. Recently finished Meditations, such a beautiful work, at least most of it. I felt so identified with his thoughts, sometimes it felt like I already thought about those things but never managed to grasp the ideas they way he does. I wish he was a christian though, at some points he seemed confused about the "gods".
>>
>>506767
you really do sound like you belong on reddit though
>>
>>506793
>i have no arguments, so REDDIT :D

I accept your surrender.
>>
>>506787
THERE IS NO CURE FOR DEPRESSION. ONCE YOU ARE BROKEN YOU ARE BROKEN.

All you can do is try and comfort yourself.
>>
>>506796
I stated my arguments along with the notion that you should fuck off back to reddit though, your choosing to ignore them or insult the one making them shines a light on the anon behind the screen though
bitch nigga
>>
>>506789
Just as was thought in 1984 by Winston Smith.
>>
>>506793
>>506796
Holy shit fags try and act civil.

btw I don't care who started it
>>
>>506787
no, it's the achievement that entails stress, or hardship. trial and glory are inseparable, anon. if you don't suffer, you can't overcome suffering: outgrowing it.
>>
>>506819
Thats some deluded martyr shit, anon. I hope you arent stupid enough to live by it.
>>
>>506832
>wew glory and success are brought from sitting on my ass and whining about all of my shortcomings

There's a reason why they're are few winners in this world anon
>>
>>506841
There is a reason you arent among them, anon.
>>
>>506845
o schnappe
>>
>>506845
>Implying I'm not ultra famous, big guy Billy rae Cyrus

Give me back my mullet tbqh heh
>>
>>506832
deluded? it's a fact of life.

in order to achieve anything, in order to create anything within and without yourself, man must suffer, that is, to exert effort. this is common sense
>>
>>506872
Success in life is coming to a position when you no longer need to exert yourself.
Thus to achieve success is to remove stress and suffering from your life.
If you have to suffer to remove suffering, thats a shit deal, might as well skip the middle man and take your suffering in small bites.
>>
>>506872
...... for he is both the marble and the sculptor.
>>
>>506891
Success is finding meaning in live and being able to fuck that meaning. It is to achieve your deepest desires, to be happy.
>>
>>506902
Life*
>>
>>506902
Happiness is the absence of stress, fear and suffering.
>>
>>506902
Fulfill*
>>
>>506906
It's not. Some of the happiest moments of my life have included extreme fear and stress. I went cliff diving once and I will always remember it add one of the most exhilarating things I've done. To be free falling, not knowing whether you'll be safe out not, but not caring. Fuck
>>
>>506905
>>506908
English*
>>
>>506916
as*

REEEEEEEEEEEEE I CAN'T SPELL KILL ME?!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>506631
This. The worst is yet to come, as of now you're just a hedonistic teenagers that revels in concept you don't have complete grasp on as a mean of decadent aestheticism
>>
>>506916
Seeking out dangers and enjoying them is not natural, and if we didnt put a wrench in the natural selection cogs your genes would be long gone.
This is a trait that would be extinct, and it only exists because we are all happy. We all live well, and we arent designed for it, and we have glitches and bugs in our system because of it.
>>
>>506917
>Implying I care

(I care)
>>
>>506925
I know what's to come, that's why I'm so upset.
>>
>>506928
Risk taking and boisterous actions are the only reason humans are where they are now. There is no reason to go into space, it is many times more dangerous than jumping off a cliff and yet it is one of mankind's deepest desires as of 2016.
>>
>>506941
Jumping off a cliff isnt the same as seeing whats behind that hill in the horizon. Dont try to rationalize it, its retarded and you enjoying it means your genetic code is retarded. You have bad mutations that would kill your line out in a more just world.
>>
>>506891
all you're doing is admitting that you do not want to suffer.

you forget or do not understand that man can outgrow the causes of his suffering. he can transcend his problems by properly integrating the lessons they present by way of self-discipline: through effort.

in this way we outgrow effort by exerting effort and transcend suffering by suffering and realize that to do either is cause change - transformation. now you see that it is impossible to remove change from life, because they are one and the same
>>
>>506948
Sure it is, I just wanted to see what was underwater right off of a cliff.
>>
>>506950
He can always do a ton of drugs, frying his brain and rendering most of these realizations incomprehensible.
>>
>>506950
>you forget or do not understand that man can outgrow the causes of his suffering

I like how one of the top stoics, forgot his name, was of the same opinion and popularized this view, then when he got sick in his old age he denounced it all, saying that the endless pain does in fact hurt him and he cant get over it.

Basically the only reason you can think the way you do is because you arent suffering. People who suffer dont think this way.
>>
>>506967
cause of suffering - old age
is aging within our control? - no
is susceptibility to sickness within our control - yes, you can live healthy and tend to your body's need for exercise and nutrition

one of the fundaments of stoicism is accepting that which you cannot control and improving that which you can. if you can find the name of this "top stoic" who frankly doesnt sound like a top anything at all, I'll consider what you said.

>you aren't suffering

everyone suffers all the time. not identically, in the same manner, to the same degree. this is obvious. nobody denies the reality of physical pain, but a conscious mind can do alot to mitigate and even prevent it.
>>
>>506999
Your post does nothing to disprove mine, just ignores it. I found one guy that fits, not sure if its the one I was thinking of.
Dionysius of Hereclea was a pupil of Zeno if Citium, wrote poetry and philosophy, and when he got sick he rejected stoic views in pain and the other stoics disowned him and tried to erease him from history.
>>
>>506797
This isn't true, but if you want to wallow in your own self-pity I literally cannot do anything to stop you.
>>
interested i click on a marcus aurelius thread hoping to learn more about him.
its full of manchildren crying about their lives and nothing about marcus.
never coming on /hist again
>>
>>506563

Well since I'm Christian that's kind of a good thing.
>>
>>507163
>expecting every thread to cater to your needs
>whining about it just cause muh attention deficit

Lurk moar, and please don't look only to 4chan for a single source of knowledge.
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.