[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>le france has le white flag and always loses wars XD >in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 18
File: england.png (187 KB, 408x472) Image search: [Google]
england.png
187 KB, 408x472
>le france has le white flag and always loses wars XD

>in actuality, france kicks ass and has been kicking ass since years fucking 800

how do we stop this meme
>>
>>506276
Losing, not once, not twice, but thrice against heavily outnumbered peasants with longbows and getting overran by Germany twice are just too embarrassing for people to forget.
>>
>>506280
they won the 100 years war

>germany
getting stomped by the most ridiculously powerful country isnt that embarrassing
>>
>>506291
>getting stomped by the most ridiculously powerful country isnt that embarrassing
So powerfull they lost all world wars. But I guess that's pretty impressive by French standards.
>>
>invade England
>end up being owned by England

BRAVO
>>
>>506280
>French kings wage war against another French kings
>use unwashed Anglo peons as sword fodder
>in the end they end up losing anyway
>centuries later, Anglo nationalists think of it as a moment of Anglo pride

Not even even French but it gets me every time
>>
File: 1421920677777.png (1 MB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
1421920677777.png
1 MB, 2000x2000
>>506299
>So powerfull they lost all world wars.
>WORLD wars
>>
>>506312
t. Javierre
>>
>>506302
how did this happen??
>>
>>506299
The first of those two world wars was won primarily by the French, in spite of what Canadians would like you to believe.
>>
File: France vs the world and wins.jpg (729 KB, 1701x2005) Image search: [Google]
France vs the world and wins.jpg
729 KB, 1701x2005
>>506276
>how do we stop this meme
By defeating the perfidious albions
>>
>>506321
>8 million French troops
>9 million British troops
>5 million American troops
>primarily won by the French
???
>>
>>506312
>French kings wage war against another French kings
Edward III was thoroughly English, mate.
>>
I'm sorry but I don't think you'll be able to live down ww2 in this century, maybe the next one but I kind of doubt it.
>>
>>506329
Most of the war was fought on French soil and the pivotal operations were for the major part conducted by the French.
>>
>>506345
>father: Edward II Plantagenet
>mother: Isabella of France

Sure thing.
>>
>>506329
>9 million British Troops
The actual numbers are 8.8 million Britons/Colonial Troops and 8.7 million French, and a significant number of British troops were dispersed on secondary fronts, such as gallipoli or on the seas, whereas French efforts were almost exclusively on the western front. On the actual Western Front the French outnumbered the British, contributing 2.5 million men in the Spring Offensive to Britains 1.8 million.
>5 million American Troops
Arrived at the end of the war, served mainly as stopgap troops.

The French were the ones who stopped the Germans on the Marne and Verdun; French Divisions in the Somme offensive (whose goal was essentially simply to remove pressure off the French in Verdun) were also more successful than those of their peers, and the French effort only slowed with the Nivelle offensive, and continued with the arrival of the AEF. While the British invented the Tank, the French introduced the first tank that fits the "modern" design.
>>
>>506319
William the Conqueror
>>
>>506362
>2.5 million men in the Spring Offensive
in the Hundred Day's Offensive. Though the French forces resisting the Spring Offensive were also predominately french.
>>
>>506276
Your country is like every thread about it on /his/
>>
>>506321
It should be also noted the BEF was as equally BTFO as the French in Belgium in the Second World War, and that they were present in nearly equal numbers in Belgium, where the Allies fell apart. The only difference between the performance of the two nations in 1940 was simply that Britain was separated from Germany by a body of water, and that its forces successfully due to French holding actions at Lille.
>>
>>506276
>gentlemen, I have a great plan
>we should march on Russia

>Alesia? Where's Alesia?

>I don't think getting beaten by the Germans counts

>make the Danes go away! Give them the entire north of the country if that'll help
>>
>>506384
Had they wanted to, did the french have the means to retreat accross the sea to africa ?
>>
>>507276
As a frenchman, I am reluctant to overstate the successes of my country.
But the french did kick a lot of ass in Russia, and normandy wasn't lost to the kingdom.
>>
>>506276
>since years fucking 800
Even since Clovis. If one country is a country of war, it's France. They have literally been in constant state of war for 1500 years, even nowadays they intervene in many countries. These guys wage wars with everybody even themselves. If they're not at war for a few years they start civil wars, sometimes war isn't just enough and they make a civil war. What the fuck is wrong with these people.
>>
>>507361
>They have literally been in constant state of war for 1500 years
That's not really saying much for non-Eastern European countries.
>>
What do you even mean by France?

The King of France? French nobles?
The French soldiers were not superior or inferior to the Englishmen post-Conquest, the Germans, Hungarians and so on.

The Kings of France tended to be strong, after Phillip II, with some exceptions.
>>
>>506276
You sound like a pretty pissed off frog.

[spoiler] Btw my girlfriend is French, so I even take your wimminz with my germanic cock [/spoiler]
>>
The French did lost Nouvelle-France to the British in a single battle that lasted less than 30 mins...
>>
>>506328
>mysore
>>
After several large-scale attempts to control Europe I'd say the French were justified in not getting involved in huge wars again.
>>
Napoleon was Italian.
>>
>>508365
well, he lost.
>>
I was told France has never in it's entire history had war declared upon it first, and that in all wars it was involved in it declared war on some other party first (Even if it was a pre-emptive declaration against a nation that was going to declare war on its own given enough time).

Is this true?
>>
>>507283
The leadership probably could have made it if they wanted to, but not the entirety of the French Army, no. Your average fishing boat could go from the English coast to Dunkirk. While the french Navy was respectable, it simply lacked the means to transport the vast majority of the French Army (most of which were fighting isolated delaying actions at any rate) from Toulon to Algeria or Senegal.
>>
>>508388
Franco-Dutch war.

Probably there are more, but that is what came first on my head.
>>
>>506291
>getting stomped by the most ridiculously powerful country isnt that embarrassing

Why was Germany actually so powerful?
>>
Napoleonic Wars: good effort but a loss in the end

Haiti: lost to revolution

Franco-Austrian War: a win, should get credit for this

Crimea: a win, but as part of an alliance

Mexico: French puppet emperor ends up executed

Franco-Prussian War: got BTFO, Germans surrounded Paris, government collapsed

Great War: Germans almost broke through numerous times; France only won after Americans arrived, depriving frogs of a chance to boast

WWII: Nazis marched through Paris; Vichy France government collaborated with them

Indochina: Got rekt by ricemonkeys

Algeria: Sent home crying AND major French cities were then colonized by muzzies to add insult to injury

I'm sorry but what is there really to use as an argument that French are NOT cheese-eating surrender monkeys?
>>
File: hrerd.jpg (969 KB, 2256x1260) Image search: [Google]
hrerd.jpg
969 KB, 2256x1260
>>506276
France's record is pretty impressive when you think about it

For most of history, they were literally the Big Guy of Europe everyone had to team against (pic related)
Germans are praised as epic warrior for having had this role for like half a century...
>>
>>510115
>French history began in 1800
>>
>>510134
>implying 200 years of failure doesn't deserve a reputation
>>
File: wwdf.png (45 KB, 1081x486) Image search: [Google]
wwdf.png
45 KB, 1081x486
>>508388
No
Easiest exemple: WW1
Plenty of other exemples, but this one is the most famous
>>
>>510142
It wasnt full blown failure like you try to make it out to be

It's just that they passed from a God-tier nation that could take on all Europe (pic >>510132 ) to a Britain-tier nation that could only invade 3rd world shitholes or win European war as part of an alliance only

No one shits on Britain for that because they've always been like that, while France used to be Godlike and thus it created a shock when they became meh after the Napoopan wars
>>
File: indx.png (83 KB, 322x994) Image search: [Google]
indx.png
83 KB, 322x994
>>508290
After resisting for a whole decade in a war that had them outnumbered 4 to 1...
>>
>>510156
For much of French history they were the only large unified country in their neighborhood. It would be hard not to be a dominant military power.

Once Germany unified, they began to consistently kick French ass and I think that is where the reputation comes from... like, why is France not capable of doing what Germany does?
>>
>>510168
>like, why is France not capable of doing what Germany does?

Which one?

Attempting to conquer Europe and failing at the end? They did in early 19th century

Having millions of refugees rape their women like in Cologne? It'll happen in France as well soon enough
>>
>>510176
like winning 2 direct head-to-head wars faggot
>>
File: 2az.jpg (576 KB, 2260x2177) Image search: [Google]
2az.jpg
576 KB, 2260x2177
>>510184
>Germany
>winning
>>
Daily reminder that Memeolini actually advanced into France
>>
File: leFrance.png (378 KB, 660x625) Image search: [Google]
leFrance.png
378 KB, 660x625
>>510185
>>
> Win every war throughout premodern history
> Stops winning when cameras are invented

France is just an embarrassment.
>>
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 700x551) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 700x551
>>510213
Forgot my picture.
>>
File: 6dsq.png (12 KB, 186x191) Image search: [Google]
6dsq.png
12 KB, 186x191
>>510208
A war won by Prussia and a German victory in....a battle....part of a war they lost
>>
>>510202
And then his army got stopped by 9 guys
>>
>>510213
kek
>>
>>510213
> Win every war throughout premodern history
The Italian wars and Crusades called, you just fucked up.
>>
>>510223
Americans saving you 4 years later doesn't take away the fact that you lost

>win WWI
>completely disarm Germany
>German economy is broken
>should never be threatened by krauts again
>only 20 years later, get utterly BTFO

face it, you are Germany's little bitch. and because of the EU, you will never get another war to redeem yourself. You will ALWAYS be known as Germany's bitch.
>>
>>510223
"Battle of France" is a very misleading term. Maybe it's called 'battle' because it was such a short campaign? Regardless, ww2 was a massive war comprised of several smaller wars. There have been much smaller engagements than the 'battle' of France that have been called wars
>>
>>510176
>Having millions of refugees rape their women like in Cologne? It'll happen in France as well soon enough
It has been happening in France for the last decade you nonce. Haven't you been witness to all the burka controversy years ago?
>>
>>510248
>Americans saving you 4 years later doesn't take away the fact that you lost

But I am American
And I don't claim that France won WW2, just that Germany never won a war
>>
File: no.jpg (85 KB, 1685x400) Image search: [Google]
no.jpg
85 KB, 1685x400
>>510263
>And I don't claim that France won WW2, just that Germany never won a war
Then you're a historically illiterate retard that shouldn't be posting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_Germany
>>
>>510263
The war between France and Germany ended though. Germany conquered France. France lost. That was the end. Germany was still at war with other countries, but they were no longer at war with France. Because France lost. In the war between France and Germany, Germany won. If you still disagree then you're an idiot or a troll
>>
The French military record is all right. Don't go to Dien Bien Phu tomorrow.
t. French Indochina
>>
>>506291
More accurately, England lost the Hundred Years' War. France was doing terribly until Henry VI fucked up. This is even more embarrassing when you consider that France had roughly 5 times the population.

>>506299
This is an unbelievably oversimplified analysis of the World Wars

>>506302
Not exactly, but a basic understanding of Medieval politics would explain why this would take place. After Normans conquered England, this left the English royal family with a claim to the French throne due to family ties.

>>506321
Russia was a pretty nice distraction m8

>>508388
For the most part of the Napoleonic Wars, the French were declared war upon.

>>510208
Why is the Franco-Prussian War only a German victory while in WWII it was a "decisive German victory" even though the Franco-Prussian war was a lot more decisive than Germany losing a few years later?
>>
>>510357
Something people seem to forget when claiming total French or Capetian dominance in the medieval period is that, between kingdoms, there really wasn't any serious, centralized unity. Mediterranean or Central European kingdoms with French monarchs were still Mediterranean or Central European kingdoms with their own matters and independence. In the same way that England may have effectively been a French conquest, it was still its own kingdom.

It's a similar principle to Germanic migration. Just because Germanic barbarians kings where everywhere throughout Europe after Rome, doesn't mean there was any kind of unity. Divisional, regional identities will always rein supreme in Europe.
>>
THE NORMANS WERE NOT FRENCH STOP WITH THIS FUCKING MEME THEY WERE SCANDINAVIAN SETTLERS LIVING WITHIN THE REGION OF NORMANDY

NOT FRENCH
NOT CELTIC

STOP THIS FUCKING MEME ALREADY
>>
>>510410
Doesn't really matter desu since the French monarchs successfully conquered England after the Normans anyway. The Norman conquest was Norman though, and only baguetteboos disagree.
>>
>>510357
>Russia was a pretty nice distraction m8
Britain and France lasted way after Russia folded and made peace with Germany. France and Britain still bore the brunt of the German spring offensive, broke it and then pushed right back.

>>510248
>completely disarm Germany
It didn't. That's what Clemenceau wanted to do, but he was blocked by George and Wilson. When Foch said Versailles was peace for 20 years, he didn't mean it was too harsh. He meant it should have been a lot harsher.
>German economy is broken
The german economy was fine, the reparations imposed by the allies composed a smaller % of Germany's GDP than the reparations Prussia imposed on France in 1871. Even then, German industrial capacity was untouched, while the war ravaged France's most industrialized areas.
>>
>>506299
Funny, i was under the impression that France had been the main victor of WW1.

fucking anglos
>>
>>507276
Only western power to amke it into Moscow.
>>
File: 1384937754859.png (184 KB, 400x411) Image search: [Google]
1384937754859.png
184 KB, 400x411
>french
>kicking ass

lmao
>>
>>510115
You must think history begins with the independance of your shit country. And speaking of wich, France won that war for you, without them, the redcoats would have buttraped you even harder than hey did.
>>
>>506362
>implying Americans didn't first check the German summer offensive at Catingy & Belleau Wood
>implying half a million doughboys didn't take out the St. Mihiel salient
>implying the 2 million Americans in France were of no consequence to persuading Germany to make peace

When will the US contributed nothing to WWI meme end?
>>
>>510605
>less than 100.000 casualties

Just kill yourself.
>>
File: readImage.jpg (23 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
readImage.jpg
23 KB, 500x375
>>506321
Wut
>>
>>510605
No, the US didn't contribute nothing, but they came after the Brits and French had weathered the worst of the storm. After the Second Marne German collapse was a foregone conclusion. The AEF only hastened the end of the war. The German collapse ultimately came from the home front, though the Entente was already routing the Germans on the field.

>>510623
Canadians are very, very proud of their (not insignificant) contribution in the first world war.
>>
>>510622
You're right. 2 million fresh men added to the order of battle of exhausted combatants was of no consequence in Germany's defeat. Off I go to the noose
>>
>>510649
You should; i'd have had all your treasonous colonial ancestors hanged :)
>>
>>510645
>After the second Marne German collapse was a foregone conclusion

Disagree. The krauts would've just retreated back to the Hindenburg line. Only the advantage of American numbers allowed the exhausted Allies to push Germany back. Only the presence of millions of extra Americools made an invasion of Germany in 1919 feasible. Certainly the German home front was crumbling, but if a reasonable German peace offer had been rejected by Britain & France I think the German populace wouldn't have bailed on the war in 1919
>>
>>510623
Canadian curriculum is full of imperialistic propaganda. Your average Canadian thinks his country is the best country in the world because of it. Source: I am Canadian and the average Canadian citizen's imperialism disgusts me.
>>
>>510664
My ancestors were Spanish peasants & Peruvian mestizos. Insert sad Pepe for not being racially pure here
>>
>>510669
Fellow Torontobro and this guy understands.

I fucking hate this country and everyone in it
>>
>>510719
Then leave feggit. Toronto is the anus of Canada anyway.
>>
>>510667
>Disagree. The krauts would've just retreated back to the Hindenburg line.
A line they were increasingly incapable of holding. The British blockade was starving Germany of the foodstuff and iron required to arm and feed its military, nevermind its populace--even if they didn't, Germany alone owed more money than every entente power combined. Nobody was about to sell them anything. The best of their men had been lost in the Spring Offensive.

Meanwhile, the German tactics that had held in 1915 (hold the trenches and bleed the enemy to death) were no longer nearly as effective. The failure of the Spring Offensive was not because the German infantry was unskilled, but because they were so successful they outpaced their very supply lines. Both the Entente and German infantry tactics had long since evolved such that Trenches could no longer provide the same staying power they could have in 1915. Combined with the French and British near-monopoly on armored units (the French fielding the most modern and largest armored force in 1918), the Hindenburg Line was a paper tiger at best. The breakthrough of the Hindenburg Line at St. Quentin involved 14 divisions, only two of which were American. Even if the Entente stopped at the German border instead of implementing the 1919 Fuller Plan (from which Guderian and the Wehrmacht developed their immensely effective World War II armored doctrine), Germany would have simply starved to death.
>>
>>510273
Germany as a unified entity didn't exist yet, my retarded friend. "German" refers to the alliance of German states like Prussia, Bavaria, Wurtemburg etc.
>>
>>510736
After Brest-Litovsk, the Germans were able to transfer to the west enough divisions to hold a slight numerical advantage. Although the Spring/Summer offensives were failures, they inflicted on the Allies a similar number of casualties. There's no way the decisive 100 Days offensive is as successful without the numerical superiority only the Americans provided. Without the AEF, British leaders feared the war dragging on to 1920
>>
>>510749
>this butthurt about the Franco-Prussia war being a war Germany won
haha oh wow
>>
>>510749
My retarded friend,
>unification of the German Empire: 18 January 1871
>treaty of Frankfurt signed 10 May 1871
>>
File: French militaryhistory.jpg (279 KB, 1633x787) Image search: [Google]
French militaryhistory.jpg
279 KB, 1633x787
>>506276
By realizing its true and that you are just a contrarian
>>
>>510808
>Although the Spring/Summer offensives were failures, they inflicted on the Allies a similar number of casualties.
The casualties inflicted were different, however. Germany attacked the weakest, least-experienced portions of the Entente line (which has to do with their huge success), but gained little strategic advantage, and the soldiers they lost once the advance ground to a halt were their best. What supply reserve they had remaining had been heavily depleted in the attack already, whereas the Entente continued to (and could have continued to) purchase from the rest of the world.
>There's no way the decisive 100 Days offensive is as successful without the numerical superiority only the Americans provided.
I agree, it would not be as successful or as quick. But I do think it would have ultimately have been successful. Again, as I said before, even if it hadn't, the continued British blockade would have caused Germany to implode even in the absence of any military action.
>Without the AEF, British leaders feared the war dragging on to 1920
This is true. But France and Britain had both the men, means and materiel to push that advantage whether it be in 1919 or 1920.
>>
File: p.png (96 KB, 396x385) Image search: [Google]
p.png
96 KB, 396x385
>France is only capable of winning when it's led by a Corsican :D
>>
>>510849
Most of this is demonstrably false.

Also
>Jean
>leading an army
Do we need to go over the "glorified cheerleader" meme again?
>>
>>510873
You're 100% correct on your 1st point. As to your 2nd point, I believe that without any Americans in 1918, the German offensives of that year find more success, changing what the Allies are able to do on that front to their detriment. This was a great back & forth anon, I wish I could go on but I finna sleep now. Blessed be your soul
>>
>>510817
Can you tell me again why it's Franco-Prussian and not Franco-German war?
>>
>>510914
muh semantics
>>
Read fat nerds talk about war when they never put a fucking foot on a battlefield that's hilarious
>>
>>510914
The Kingdom of Prussia was literally the predecessor to the unified German state, as it too was a conglomerate of German states. It objectively and necessarily takes a place in the history of Germany as being a state composed of mostly the same regions and peoples.

The war ended after the official unification of Germany, and was won by the German Empire, who didn't even begin the war officially as Prussia, but as the North German Federation, so the war's title was nothing more than a title, and you're retarded.
>>
>>508959
Powerful enough for the british kindom to get incredibly butthurt when they tried to compete in navy size.
>>
>>508365
then call him Napoleone. His actual name, you know
>>
In b4 Napoleone was italian.

Real NAME was Napoleone B(u)onaparte
>>
>b-but NAPOLEON

>Napoleon lost

stupid frogposters lmao
>>
>>511803
how do you pronounce Napoleone?
>>
>>510914

Why do they call it the Hundred Years War when it lasted more than 100 years?
Why do they call it the Wars of the Roses when only one guy had a rose as his symbol?
>>
>>511972
Like an eytie american
>>
>>510849
> Americans trying to write other countries history
Always a funny thing.
>>
File: RevolutionaryWars.png (281 KB, 1645x984) Image search: [Google]
RevolutionaryWars.png
281 KB, 1645x984
>>510849
>French Revolution: Won, primarly due to the fact the opponent was also French

Lmao, didnt even need to read the rest
>>
>>510274
France continued to fight with the free french forces. You can hate it, but France won WW2. This is a fact.
>>
File: Berlin1945.png (96 KB, 741x600) Image search: [Google]
Berlin1945.png
96 KB, 741x600
>>512574
>You can hate it, but France won WW2. This is a fact.
Pic related.
>>
>>512033
Why the fuck do they call it Game of Thrones when there is only one throne but probably several "games" to take it?
Why do they call it Star Wars when there is only one war and several stars?
>>
>>511972
>>>511803 (You)
>how do you pronounce Napoleone?
>>511972
Phonetically speaking the only difference is the final "e" pronunciation ,we always pronunce the "e" in the same way you do IT in the word "bet" for example.
>>
>>510563
The French were *let* into Moscow because Kutuzov figured it would be a more effective way to kill them, and that's after the French lost more men at the Bagration flĂȘches than at any time in any battle until WWI.
>>
>>513101
Now you're just butthurt
The Russians fought several battles trying to stop the French on their way to Moscow, but always ended up retreating because they were inferior (not in number, in skill).
Then they threw all they got at Borodino to prevent the French from capturing Moscow, but they lost once again
Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.