[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
name one real life problem that philosophy solved >pro tip:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: 1451555926277.png (401 KB, 600x696) Image search: [Google]
1451555926277.png
401 KB, 600x696
name one real life problem that philosophy solved

>pro tip: you cant
>>
Whether you should believe in God or not.
>>
>>503893
>be philosopher
>why even live?
>>
As oppose to what, pretend life problems?
>>
B-b-but U can't know nuffin!
>>
File: 1445167075041.jpg (26 KB, 275x280) Image search: [Google]
1445167075041.jpg
26 KB, 275x280
>>503908

Fairly typical answer from a philosophy fag.

>Have you done anything useful?
>b b b b but can you define useful?
>Have you done anything meaningful?
>b b b b but define the meaning of meaning of meaning
>>
>>503946
> Being this triggered by someone poking fun at you

Philosophy have helped me dealing with my own mortality and the heat death of the universe.
What have any other field helped me with?
>>
Philosophy doesn't really "solve" problems (for the most part), but it does improve things.

Some examples of philosophy (subjectively) improving the world:

- gave us the scientific method, allowing for many advances in science and technology that help make the modern world possible

- gave us capitalist liberal democracy, which has generally provided a greater degree of freedom and economic security than any other ideological system in history. If you think capitalist liberal democracy is shit and prefer another system, philosophy gave us that too.

- gave us the modern western justice system, which generally prevents people from being tarred and feathered over dubious allegations of witchcraft and so on

- gave us basic principles of human rights, which many people benefit from
>>
>>503955

Who's triggered?

Maybe you should have gone and taken a jog instead of worrying about how you are going to cope with the heat death of the Universe, because, to be honest, anon, that's not going to be a problem for you.
>>
>>503959
Good post.
>>
>>503893
It spawned the sciences to tackle some practical issues in the physical domain, for instance.
>>
The reason that philosophy appears to make no progress is because philosophers don't even agree on methodology or definitions. It's the starting point of human thought, so there aren't any rules.
>>
>>504215
I think it's more the ending than the beginning of human thought, it's the highest thought at the current time. That's why you can have general philosophy and then the philosophy of science or philosophy of fitness or whatever. It's just a fancy way of saying good ideas.
>>
>>503974
Its more about living within the notion that nothing can live for ever and death will become inevitable so you can live a better life and also help improve this one.
>>
>>503974
>taking a jog

Ugh, what a normalfag solution. Normalfaggotry has not once, ever brought me anything of use or MEANING.

Meaning is they key, fagnon. Now go back to being a wage slave or to /biz/ or /pol/ where you belong.
>>
>>503955
>the heat death of the universe.
lol holy shit i remember this memester from months ago
weren't you the guy who said that you were more afraid of that than you were of being murdered?
>>
>"Yeah, well, you know. That's just like, your opinion man." - The Dude
>>
What do you mean by "real life problem"?
>>
>>503946
well can you?
>>
File: change.png (701 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
change.png
701 KB, 960x720
stoicism helped me come to terms with the inevitability of my death, so that's something
>>
>>505717
Start with the greeks friend, just because people you don't like are doing something doesn't mean it's wrong, You'll feel better if strangers think you are attractive, trust me ;)
>>
>>506388
saved. goddamn, i wish there were more stoics in this world. it'd truly be a better place.
>>
Philosophy does not promise to secure anything external for man, otherwise it would be admitting something that lies beyond its proper subject-matter. For as the material of the carpenter is wood, and that of statuary bronze, so the subject-matter of the art of living is each person's own life.
— Epictetus
>>
how to get laid in a bar
>>
>>506416
Not philosophy, dumbass. Literature
>>
>>503893
philosophy is the contemplation of living
its a mode of conduct
if you don't live your philosophy, it amounts to nothing.
idiots like you clearly do not understand this
>>
>>506421
Yea I bet quoting Tolkein will get you laid :^)
>>
>>503974
Triggered enough to start having a hissy fit over someone pointing out your shitty thinking. Why wouldn't you be bothered with not leaving a legacy behind you?

>>505734
Yea m8 the concept of entropy is so obscure that I'm obviously the same person from months ago on a site with 20 million visitors per moth.

Bet you go "hey I know that girl" whenever someone post some cumdumpster on /b/.
>>
>>503893
For the poor, philosophy leads to more philanthropy and less hunger.
>>
File: bob-gives-up.jpg (23 KB, 391x366) Image search: [Google]
bob-gives-up.jpg
23 KB, 391x366
>>503893
Philosophy isn't about solving problems. It's about understanding those problems which defy easy solutions.
>>
>>506503
Philosophy is useful for also finding out the problems in the world.
>>
>>503893
Should I vote for this guy or this other guy ?
>>
>>506461
It's also to put things into perspective

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1CddzgVW14
>>
Philosophy is good for making yourself suffer.
>>
>>503893
Liberal sophistry.
>>
>>503917
>>503946
the hivemind
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.