[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Trying to read about the Napoleonic wars, but the scale and scope
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 1449374338554.jpg (159 KB, 590x683) Image search: [Google]
1449374338554.jpg
159 KB, 590x683
Trying to read about the Napoleonic wars, but the scale and scope is much larger than anything else I've read about and I feel like I have some difficulty understanding everything. Or the dry text makes it boring. Anyone else ktf?
>>
Read 1812 by Zamoyski. It's very accessible and enjoyable and gives a solid background to the Napoleonic period in the first few chapters as well as a study of some of the major personalities.
>>
>>502657

Read the Sharpe novels by Bernard Cromwell. I know reading fiction to understand history is pleb tier but there it is, at least you will have fun, they're good books.
>>
>>502711

>Cromwell

kek.

I mean Bernard Cornwell.
>>
>>502657
what book you reading OP?
>>
>>502711
i don't mind any historical fiction writer who lists in the back of the book the things they changed for the purposes of the novel.

>reading the last kingdom series at the moment
>>
>>502711
Dunno bout the novel, but the serie is full retard

>Sharpe and his three buddies taking down an entire cavalry unit Rambo style

Every fucking time!
>>
>>504504
Watch Hornblower instead.
>>
>>502657
easiest way would be to read about in larger, border books, ie something that covers western military history in general. Books like this will usually do a good job of condensing it down to the most important and influential campaigns/battles will covering the general themes of the war. From there, you should hopefully have enough knowledge and interest to dive into works that specifically cover the campaigns of revolutionary France and Napoleon

a good example (and my proper introduction) was JFC Fuller's The Military History of the Western World Vol 2.
>>
>>503495
Osprey's Essential Histories of the Napoleonic wars. Four books. I just finished their history of the French Revolutionary wars, which makes five. It captures my interest until I get to the battles, which read like math or chess strategy. Very bland. The naval battles are sometimes interesting though.
>>
>>504509
More like read the Aubrey–Maturin series.
>>
>>506108
Master and Commander is the only good film on the Napoleonic wars.
>>
>>502657
Look around and get the Osprey books pdf that you can find online. Great for Battles and background.
>>
>>508017
THE LESSER OF TWO WEEVILS! AHAHAHAHA
>>
>>508017
Waterloo is a more then decent film bro
>>
>>502657
If you are slav, then read Tarle (Tapлe).
>>
>>508037
That's what I'm reading. It doesn't get any simpler than osprey, and yet it still manages to be a slog through the mud. Maybe I just need to force myself to pay attention.
>>
>>506094
>>508037
>>508251
Link to dl?
>>
File: 910hdLwZSkL.jpg (901 KB, 1651x2560) Image search: [Google]
910hdLwZSkL.jpg
901 KB, 1651x2560
I could not recommend this book enough. You can find it at bookzz.org
>>
Luckily there's some excellent fiction!

>in b4 pleb tier

War and peace

Sharpe

Aubrey maturin

Hornblower series

War and peace is a great start.
>>
>>509001
Here you go.
http://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3834735
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.