[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did priestly celibacy have a a social evolutionary effect? That
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
Did priestly celibacy have a a social evolutionary effect?
That is, by taking out of the gene pool more timid and peaceful characteristics in the population, ancient and medieval west European society increased their ferocity and militarism?
>>
>>501560
>priests are inherently peaceful
>only western priests and monks were celibate

So no. But I have wondered what the true reasons behind celibacy are. I assume it has something to due with a lack of worldly desires bringing you closer to your religious goals. But I'm not exactly an expect on the subject.
>>
>>501560
>>501570
Celibacy was to stop inheritance of priestdoms.

It resulted in an army of bastards.

Who inherited priestdoms.
>>
There weren't enough priests for that to have any impact.
>>
>>501560
>by taking out of the gene pool more timid and peaceful characteristics in the population
You do know Bishops were the clerical equivalent of Feudal Lords and have showed up in battle.

Not to mention these cunts are political animals which are far from timid.
>>
>>501570
>>501574
Also, the Priest wouldn't spend church dosh on their wives and children
>>
>>501574
What's wrong with inheritance of priestdoms anyway?
>>
>>501560
>Did priestly celibacy have a a social evolutionary effect?
mate, nuns and priests and monks a re not able to stop being hedonistic, so now some Canadian priests tries to say it is alright to fuck around. and of course the marriage which shows how pathetic are most people claiming to be religious.
>>
>>502389
Cardinals, Archbishops, Bishops got pissed off. Wanted to put THEIR bastards in charge of cushy priestdoms.
>>
>>502326
This.
>>
>>501570
Western Christians wanted celibacy among priests because bishops are generally chosen from their priests, and bishops can't be married (in Orthodoxy, bishops are generally chosen from monks, and consequently priests can be married and generally are, they just can't marry after becoming priests).

Why can't bishops be married? Because bishops as the heirs of the Jewish priesthood, which was for the carnal covenant and was thus based on carnal succession. The new covenant is of the spirit (the sign of it is not carnal, circumcision, but baptism; the justice of it is not carnal, an eye for an eye; the bread is leavened), and so succession must also be of the spirit, not carnal. If bishops could marry, it might lead to carnal succession, which is a no-no. If carnal succession were still in effect, then the Cohens would be the priesthood.
>>
>>502326
This. Clergymen were quite a minority. Also, OP you just pulled the assumption that all priests are meek out of your ass, let alone that being a priest, being a pussy and being allocated your role via medieval eugenics can all be connected, and this had a significant impact on the genotype of Europeans today. I mean, what the fuck man.

>ancient and medieval west European society increased their ferocity and militarism?

There's no evidence that Europeans are more "ferocious" than anyone else, though Europe was arguably much more violent before the Middle Ages than after it which totally contradicts your idea.
>>
>>501560

>he thinks priests, nuns and monks were actually celebate

laughingCromwell.jpg
>>
>>502497
It had a lot more to do with the fact that the Church wanted the Bishops and priests to leave their accumulated property to the Church, and not dole it out to their offspring.
>>
>>502606
The tradition of celibate bishops goes back to before bishops even tended to have a lot of private property, Paul is generally considered the guy who got the trend going.
>>
>>501560
No.
1. By and large, you didn't really choose whether to be a priest--it was a dumping ground for non-heirs from rich families. Temperament didn't really factor in much.
2. Priests and monks in the Middle Ages were notorious for having children out of wedlock.
>>
Like how orders militant will remove aggressive and fanatical elements from the gene pool, which is why Prussia, having been the territory of the Teutonic Order, was known throughout its history for pacifism and gentleness.
>>
according to my extremely catholic fater, celibacy was installed because when you serve god you tend to leave your family behind and according to the church that is bad so monks are expected to be celibate so they can dedicate themselves to god 100%, when i told them the other version which was that the church didnt want to lose its holdings to bastards of priests, they said those are lies.
i truly dont know which one is the ase but i assume that of course the church wouldnt want to say that they dont want to lose their property so they started using an excuse for celibacy
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.