[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the backup plan if D-day fails? Did any country was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: rsz_reichstag_1_.jpg (93 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
rsz_reichstag_1_.jpg
93 KB, 600x800
What was the backup plan if D-day fails? Did any country was thinkong about using biological/chemical weapons?
>>
>>499954

>What was the backup plan if D-day fails?

Try it again somewhere else (probably southern France) or throw everything at Italy
>>
>>499954

How are you defining "failing"? Anzio was considered a failure, but the Anzio kind of failure at Normandy would likely just warrant more men being funneled in, more bombs being dropped.

And in any case, Dragoon is good to go like a month later, and good luck parrying that with what the Germans have in southern France.
>>
>>499967
Could the allies assemble a force big like d day again in a shor time?
>>
>>499967

Italy was already running into problems in the front being too narrow to effectively maneuver with the men they had in theater (some 22 divisions by D-Day); you can't easily throw more men.

>>499979

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Dragoon

My apologies, it was 2 months later.
>>
>>499976
Failing as allied troops are stopped at the beaches and cant build up a base for further operations
>>
>>499985

Please elaborate further.

"stopped at the beaches" at least to me, implies that they land, but do not advance further than the well, beaches. It is not immediately clear why these wouldn't be reinforceable (the mulberrys) and why they wouldn't be used as a base for further operations (Cobra)
>>
>>499954
>What was the backup plan if D-day failed?
E-day
>>
>>499992
They get pew pewd in the tummy and all die ok?

Fuck
>>
>>500023
kek
>>
Gas
>>
>>499954
>What was the backup plan if D-day fails? Did any country was thinkong about using biological/chemical weapons?

The air chiefs of both the US strategic air forces and RAF bomber command still believed they could bomb Germany out of the war at that time. A failed D-day would have seen a major increase in strategic and tactical bombing as the air forces wouldn't have to support a ground invasion, and likely the beginning of American carpet/area bombing, which otherwise didn't happen until Berlin in 1945.

And a prolonged war would have seen the atomic and napalm bombing of Germany, as their development had been intended.
>>
>>499954
I think I read somewhere Churchill was planning on gassing all of Germany if D-day failed.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.