[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Humanities Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: 1442112767155.png (10 KB, 771x711) Image search: [Google]
1442112767155.png
10 KB, 771x711
why bother calling this board history and "humanities" if all we're allowed to talk about is history and centuries dead philosophers?

who has been the most influential philosopher of the 21st century so far? I want to look into more modern philosophies and ways of thinking.
>>
File: elliott.jpg (98 KB, 510x768) Image search: [Google]
elliott.jpg
98 KB, 510x768
>>499109
Elliot Hulse is a bretty good philosopher.

His ideas are almost a blend of Transcendentalism, Classical Philosophy,small parts of Eastern Philosophy, and the streets. He also supports strength training for everybody, and runs a strength camp. His YouTube channel is dedicated to lifting advice, life advice, and philosophical speeches.

Beware though, he gets way too into some Eastern rituals.

https://www.youtube.com/user/elliottsaidwhat
>>
>>499163
I was under the impression he was a meathead by the way /fit/ talks about him.
>>
It's kind of too early to tell--we're only in the second decade of the century. Anyway, you don't find many philosophers with the same kind of stature as Kant or Hegel or Heidegger. Philosophy is mostly an academic industry these days, pretty insular and focused on very particular, esoteric 'problems' that are completely opaque and untranslatable for laymen.

If you're interested in current debates in philosophy, just subscribe to our look up any of the numerous publications that are being put out constantly.
>>
Because when this board was first getting campaigned for, it was simply /his/ - History.
>>
>>499300
This.

Hiroyuki screwed up by adding humanities.
>>
>>499268
Ehh he kinda gets cocky about himself sometimes, but he keeps it down low. It's almost like he has a switch, being able to go from 'cool guy' to 'philosopher'.
>>
>>499109
> who has been the most influential philosopher of the 21st century so far.

I can't think of anyone who have done something specific this century but there's a lot of influential philosophers still alive, kicking and regularly publishing work or holding lectures.

There's several within the philosophy of the mind. Hilary Putnam and Daniel Dennett is probably the most known among the ones arguing for computationalism (the belief that computers as we know them can be conscious), while John Searle is widely known for the Chinese room experiment (an argument against computationalism) and Thomas Nagel for the paper "What's it like to be a bat?".

Peter Singer is arguably the most influential (or at least the most discussed one) current day moral philosopher.

Edmund Gettier gave a 2000 year tradition of epistemology the middle finger when he formulated the Gettier problem. He doesn't publish much but most of modern epistemology is centred around solving it.
>>
Opinions on Douglas Hofstadter?
>>
>>499310
How so? History threads are present and in no way threatened by humanity threads
>>
>>499300
I'm pretty sure a lot of people wanted somewhere to discuss philosophy and social sciences.I know /lit/ is glad theres somewhere else to discuss philosophy
>>
>>499424
You could discuss social sciences on /sci/ for like a week, then it just drowned in shitposting. Last time I checked there was constant university and tier-threads.
>>
File: spurdo 4chan.jpg (308 KB, 600x2560) Image search: [Google]
spurdo 4chan.jpg
308 KB, 600x2560
>>499310
>implying that wasn't the plan
>>
>>499436
what if I want to talk about anthropology or how modern society came to be the way it is today? When this board was made I thought I'd be able to talk about these things here but everytime I try I get a warning. And this whole 25+ year rule is fucking retarded, has history not been made in the last 25 years?
>>
>>499485
>anthropology
Literally garbage
>how modern society came to be the way it is today?
Gotta find a way to make it not /pol/. Also muh 25 years.
>>
>>499109
cuck
>>
>>499772
>Gotta find a way to make it not /pol
but it's not remotely /pol/, I want to understand how history has shaped today, how it might shape the future etc. not bitch about master races and immigrants
>>
>>499370
Based as fuck desu mein famiry
>>
>>499310
Shut up faggot stop being GAY
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.