[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
alright atheists, riddle me this if morality doesn't come
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3
File: datum.jpg (63 KB, 500x446) Image search: [Google]
datum.jpg
63 KB, 500x446
alright atheists, riddle me this

if morality doesn't come from god, where does it come from?
>>
from angus :DDD
>>
Convenience.
>>
>>498257
If it came from God it would mean that moral is subjective. Go away you silly relativist.
>>
>>498257
Morality doesn't exist.

Ethics does. And ethics comes from dialectical reasoning.
>>
For your mom's fat ass
>>
>>498257
Social convenience.
>>
Feelings.
>>
>>498257
>this thread again

Hide, report, and sage
>>
>>498257
Socially constructed
>>
>>498257
One supposes morality is a social construct with a strong psychological basis that is used to smooth relations between Human beings for the purpose of cooperation and pure survival.

In effect morality is a biological adaptation.
>>
>>498257
Same place laws come from. Society.
>>
>>498257
1. There is no god.
2. One cannot derive 'ought' from 'is'.
>>
>>498272
Or you could make the argument that as a diviner of all things perfect, God has designated morality as the supreme example of his peoples to follow for an allotted time.

I mean, if you believe in all three Abrahamic religions, you agree that God has surmounted morality once and changed it twice. Therefore, God gives direction to society that is timely, and contemporary with society's direction.
>>
>>498907
Therefore in this case, morality is objective.
>>
>>498907
>I mean, if you believe in all three Abrahamic religions, you agree that God has surmounted morality once and changed it twice. Therefore, God gives direction to society that is timely, and contemporary with society's direction.

Yeah, that sounds pretty sujective.
>>
>>498918
But if you believe in God's existence and have faith that someone directs society through prophets and messages, then God is like someone pointing us in the right direction at all times.

A divine being who is perfect could not create any moral system less than perfect for his followers. Thus, morality under the Abrahamic faith is divine and objective for its time and people.
>>
>>498257
Combination of empathy and convenience.

Some things we consider morally wrong because it strikes us as bad in a primal visceral way.

Other things we consider morally wrong because it'd really suck if people got to run around doing those things.

Where those exact lines are drawn tend to be semi-arbitrary.
>>
From what your parents teached to you when you were a kid

It's a never-ending cicle
>>
>>498945
You're missing the point and falling for the Euthyphro dilemma at the same time.

All three Abrahamic religions have vastly different moral systems. Yahweh has changed his entire concept of right and wrong at least twice (five times if we're counting Baha'i, Rastafarianism, and Mormonism). If, as you say, Yahweh is merely directing us in his chosen direction, then it's still no more correct than any other moral system. It's entirely "Do as I say or I will hurt you".

There's nothing objective about it. Any of Yahweh's systems are just as much subjective as an human system. "Good" and "Evil" are just "An arbitrary list of things that Yahweh will not punish you for doing" and "An arbitrary list of things Yahweh will punish you for doing". The only difference is Yahweh can bring infinitely more punishment than any human.
>>
File: 1447764232328.jpg (39 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
1447764232328.jpg
39 KB, 800x534
>>498945
>A divine being who is perfect could not create any moral system less than perfect for his followers.

So he came up with storming peaceful towns and cities and killing all the men, women and boys carrying off the loli for rapey time and stoning to death people that picked up sticks on Saturday.

Such objective morality, so solid. Objective and perfect yet still changing multiple times in recorded human history, a blink of an eye in the time Homo Sapiens have been on the planet, yet alone a geological or cosmological timespan.
>>
>>498257
Fucks sake it's you again
At least change the image
>>
>>498990
Well drastic times call for drastic measures. When has a being like Homo Sapien evolved out of the state of Neanderthal nomadic culture? We are now no longer a direct part of the circle of life, for better or for worse. With this, comes an understanding of perfection and the divine element of beauty within order than the Abrahamic religions provide us with.
>>
>>498257
Explain why If I remove specific regions of your brain your morality is gone?
Is your soul divided in that case?
Why your perspective of reality changes if you suffer from brain damage - is your soul not the dominant aspect of consciousness?
>>
>>498907
>as a diviner of all things perfect, God has designated morality
Proof?
>>
>>499022
I believe negatively impacting your perception of reality is not going to change your soul's essence, believe it or not. I do think, however. that if you can't separate the world of material things (things physically provable) from the world of spiritual things, then you've got a problem.
>>
>>498257
Morality is genetic.
Religion is a method of enforcing morality.
I personally think that, with the power of the modern state, religion is no longer necessary to enforce morality.
>>
>>499027
Us, correct? We were made in God's image. Should we not align ourselves with the embodiment of perfection? Why do you think if evolution existed this should somehow change? We evolved biologically to get to where we are. Are you saying all of this biological and cultural evolution has been in the wrong direction? If so, then state-based religions like the Abrahamic religions are not for you.
>>
>>499013

Homo Sapiens didn't evolve from Neanderthals and this is a paltry defence of the "perfection and beauty" of the Abrahamic religions, in fact it is no defence at all, other than asserting they are "perfect and beautiful".
>>
>>499059
Homo Sapiens evolved from the confluence of Cro-magnon and Neanderthal DNA
>>
>>499068
homo sapiens were engineered by an alien species called Nordics you dumbass
>>
>>499057
>state-based religions like the Abrahamic religions are not for you.

Render unto Caesar and all that jazz.
>>
>>499050
There is no purpose or direction for evolution .. it is outside of concepts presented in our social minds.

Life on this planet happened so late... compared to the scale of universe... aka the universe was never efficient and it was never its purpose to generate life.
Us being aware today just happened, like this unlike probability of a universe happened from the initial fluctuations before Big Bang.. could've been a universe where neutrons never existed hence something totally different.
There could be something outside this, there could be nothing. At least we are real.
>>
>>499027
Look, God either created the morality or he discovered it. If he created it, then it's subjective. If he merely discovered it, it's objective.

Subjective in this case means subjective in the ontological sense; it's dependent upon a mind.
>>
>>499068

No. Homo Sapiens evolved from Cro-Magnon, there is some trace DNA from Neanderthals in some Europeans suggesting a small amount of interbreeding but that is it.
>>
>>499057
>Us, correct? We were made in God's image
No, you need proof for that as well.
>>
New religion = Next step in Abrahamic faith + new phase of morality + Darwinism
>>
>>499099
As an exemplum for the highest and most dignified version of man's ideal, God provided us with an introspection of what man can and will do, if he has the freedom. Utilizing the Kierkegaardian dichotomy of possibility and necessity, one can direct one's will in a freer direction under God's protection and guidance.

The light, as it were, is a sure path.
>>
>>499119
That's not proof, that's an assertion.

Why is God an ape?
>>
>>498257

necessity like all invention, morality exists as the mortar of civilization and the enemy of societal depravity.
>>
>>498257
Without an absolute reference point there can be no absolutes, truth is by definition absolute, there is no truth.

There is no morality, See Kant and his categorical imperatives.
>>
>>499161

Morality can exist without it being absolute.
>>
>>498257
Come from society and dialectical tought.
Just dont be an asshole,its that hard really?
Thats how morality was written in the bible,to confront the constant wars and degeneracy
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.