[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we talk about the History of Alchemy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 9
File: 1-alchemy.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1811) Image search: [Google]
1-alchemy.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1811
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alchemy

This is actually really interesting.

Did you know Medieval/Renaissance Alchemy derived from Islam, who kept Hellenistic Alchemy alive after the burning of Alexandria?

It returned to Europe through Spain, which belonged to the Muslims back then.

Also, it was the Renaissance that really enhanced the Hermitic side of Alchemy and made it more esoteric than scientific, because they were trying to make it fit with the views of the Church.

But it was in fact Islamic Alchemy that created the Scientific Method.

>tfw Religion ruined Alchemy

Greek/Islamic Alchemy is the best Alchemy. Leave it to Christians to soil it with their spiritual woo-woo crap.
>>
>>496715
> The Scientific Method.
> The
My son, there's several.
>>
>>496715
>Leave it to Christians to soil it with their spiritual woo-woo crap.
This is how I can tell you've never actually read an Arabic grimoire.
>>
File: CGJung.jpg (162 KB, 800x1201) Image search: [Google]
CGJung.jpg
162 KB, 800x1201
>Also, it was the Renaissance that really enhanced the Hermitic side of Alchemy and made it more esoteric than scientific

Alchemy was never about science. The whole transformation and turning things into gold was just to show the principle of a bad person turning into a noble person.

It's all about symbols.
>>
>>496715
Went to a museum with a procelain section and apparently this alchemist was imprisoned by a King who demanded the alchemist make gold who later escaped only to be imprisoned by the King of Wurttemburg where the alchemist finally was freed after discovering how to make china the same as chinese exports thus beginning the Meissen factory.
>>
>>496715
the aim of religion is the same as that of alchemy, sir.
>>
>>496825
Is it?
>>
File: tumblr_mie0pckL0B1r5nr9zo3_250.gif (621 KB, 245x200) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mie0pckL0B1r5nr9zo3_250.gif
621 KB, 245x200
>>496715
My Philippus Aureolus Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim,of course we can.

>The peacock's feathers in bright colors, the >rainbow in the sky above,
>The spotted panther, the green lion, the crow >and beak, blue as lead,
>These shall appear before you in perfect >white,
>Pale white and black with false citrine, >imperfect white and red,
>After the perfect white follows the grey,
>And after these shall appear the substance
>- George Ripley's The Compound of Alchymy

Any one have any more/deeper details about Nicolas Flamel, and the rumors that he achieved obtaining the Philisopher's Stone and (kek) immortality?
>>
>>496741
I think he means, you know 'this' one
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method
>>
File: 1451552253874.jpg (49 KB, 683x623) Image search: [Google]
1451552253874.jpg
49 KB, 683x623
>>497054
that's not how you greentext
lurk moar faggot
>>
I'm just gonna leave this here

https://mega.nz/#F!jBk3nBwC!3kbcd3Yb0I1Dkw6GCBLY1A
>>
File: unnamed.png (130 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
130 KB, 300x300
>>497074
Nice someone pulled my AC microfilm material?

May I back this up as the basis of a coherent alchemy folder?

I've been going through Germain's triangular book, interesting material.
>>
>>497085
>May I back this up as the basis of a coherent alchemy folder?

Sure. I borrowed MPH and ALi Puli from the mega.
>>
>>497097
All these /his/ patricians out in full force. Thanks m8. I may even tinker with it a bit and throw the other misc material I have lying around into it.
>>
>>497115
I thought King Solomon's mega alchemy material is kinda weak but i thought you might not be warm to suggestions about improving it. So i'm happy about this turn of events.
>>
File: 1444919301471.jpg (85 KB, 1062x1083) Image search: [Google]
1444919301471.jpg
85 KB, 1062x1083
>>497134
I've bitched many many times about my Alchemy folder sucking, but it's just not toward the top of my priority list.

I keep asking people for material they'd like to see represented. The WORST I can say is "I'm not wasting other people's time with X", it's just relatively few people have suggestions that aren't already in there or on my acquisition list.
>>
File: tumblr_nmy4bzooVe1ut727bo1_400.jpg (66 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nmy4bzooVe1ut727bo1_400.jpg
66 KB, 384x384
>>497158
I see. It's also been ages since the last RAMS torrent was taken down so there is over 18000 pages worth of alchemy literature that exists only in that library. It's rare pepes n shit.
>>
File: 8469777.jpg (31 KB, 500x362) Image search: [Google]
8469777.jpg
31 KB, 500x362
>>497073
4chan/spell check and I as I tried to arrange/fix it fucked up my post. Holy shit im not perfect all the time, news at 11. I did what I could. Now do you have anything constructive to add to the discussion? Unless you've found the philosopher's stone and can can commit tramsmutation without a cricle, fuck off
>>
>>496780
I think it was like the fish sign in rome,a random fuck will come asking for the philosofer stone and the alchemyst know right there that is someone not whorty,that is someone greedy
>>
>>496780

My mind = blown.

It's obvious now it is pointed out.
>>
>>496780
Except when it actually is like when texts deal with topics of colouring silk in armenia, destilling various alcohols etc.

Alchemy just like any other science back in the days tried to be holistic. Before the enlightenment it was perfectly fine for a science or art to deal with topics that are now considered separate, like architecture, music, theology, chemistry, biology, philosophy, laws etc etc etc.
Will we ever forget Jung ffs?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.