[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /his/ i want to introduce myself into philosphy, recommend
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: diogenes.png (185 KB, 420x276) Image search: [Google]
diogenes.png
185 KB, 420x276
hey /his/
i want to introduce myself into philosphy, recommend me some books
>>
File: 1424556422702.gif (58 KB, 748x818) Image search: [Google]
1424556422702.gif
58 KB, 748x818
>>495398
in descending order
>>
>>495398
What kind of things have you read on philosophy already? Also, what's your general reading level?
>>
I'm not a studied man but I'd recommend the Trial and Death of Socrates, which consists of 4 books, Euthyphro, Apology, Crito and Phaedo, all written by Plato.

They're all short, easy to read and to understand, give a great introduction to Platos writings and Socratic Dialogues in general and the philosophy of their time.
>>
>>495398
Before I recommend any books I can highly recommend the podcast A History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps at http://historyofphilosophy.net/ It is very detailed, but also very accessible.
>>
>>495406
My reading level is quite efficient, and I don't know almost nothing about philosophy in general since my highschool education was pretty lame.
>>
File: [heisman].png (3 MB, 999x3158) Image search: [Google]
[heisman].png
3 MB, 999x3158
>>495432
Skip to the end and read Heisman.
>>
>>495445
Insane ramblings.
>>
>>495398
Wasting your time desu

Philosophy should be built on your own life experience, not the lives of others
>>
>>495680
This. Philosophy is kinda fun but ultimately it's just intellectual masturbation for pseuds who are insecure about their own intelligence.
>>
>>495398
I would recommend just blasting into as many resources explaining the same philosopher as you can. It will give you the clearest interpretation of their ideas. Youtube is probably the easiest, and set it to 1.5 speed, Learning fast is easy as
>>
>>495398
>i want to introduce myself into philosphy, recommend me some books
The Hungry Hungry Caterpillar.
>>
>>495680
>>495702

OP didn't ask for your thoughts and opinions about philosophy, he asked for book recommendations.
>>
>recommend me some books

You can read secondary sources if you like, and for some philosophers you will most likely have to, but read as many primary sources as you can and supplement with the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy.

With that being said, here's my recommendations:

>1.) Plato's Republic

If you want one text that will substantially improve your knowledge of philosophy, this is it. It's said that all of philosophy is just footnotes to Plato and Aristotle(which may be in part of the creation of the "start with the Greeks" meme), and it is so true. Read this book first and you will see proto-Communism, you'll see things that influenced Christianity,and, moreover, all of Western civilization up until the Medieval era. This book begins with a debate over the nature of justice, and if it really is just a way to convince people to like you. Socrates will argue that justice is good in and of itself and we can see this in the formation of the ideal state. He will introduce Plato's idea of the forms, which is a metaphysical account of how things obtain their properties. Don't be too discouraged by this, the Republic is easy to read and metaphysics isn't hard to understand if you use a secondary source

>2.) Nietzsche's Twilight of the Idols

I recommend this second because it is so fun to read, and you can view this as an attack on Plato's Republic. Plato says we can have knowledge, be it moral or otherwise, and because of this we can form the ideal state. You need to realize that Socrates was bow-legged, ugly, and old, which Nietzsche will humorously attack Socrates for. To Nietzsche, there is no such thing as knowledge; rather, truth is nothing but the will to power, something we create to obtain more power. Christianity is a life-denying religion used by the weak to trick the strong.

>3.) Descartes-Meditations
>>
>>495916

cont.

I list Descartes third because I don't find him that fun to read, and hardly anyone today is a Cartesian, so the only point in reading Descartes is for historical understanding of the development of Western epistemology. Essentially, Descartes wants to show that knowledge exists by finding things anyone can believe with absolute certainty. Almost any introduction course will have you read this, not because it has much weight, but because many think Descartes started a chain reaction that led to the destruction of knowledge. Many have agreed with Descartes on the basis that we need to have a basis for knowledge that is undoubtable; problem is, there isn't anything that isn't doubtable.

>4.) Find things that interest you.

If you read these three books, and provided you use supplementary sources to fully understand what is going on, you will have a pretty good understanding of the central issues in epistemology and ethics. After this I recommend you just read whatever is interesting to you. Philosophy is so derivative; as I mentioned before, so many thinkers owe a lot to the Greeks, which can actually be seen in the chart posted here: >>495405. As long as you understand the fundamental debate over knowledge, you should be fine.
>>
File: 1451711711884.jpg (26 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1451711711884.jpg
26 KB, 512x384
>>495702
>>495680
bonjour reddit
>>
>>495940
No, Reddit is actually full of pseudo-intellectuals much like yourself.
>>
>>495398
Here are my recommendations.

Read some of Plato's Dialogues, Aristotles writings on logic, physics, and metaphysics.

Then skip forward a few thousand years and read Bacon's New Organon, Descartes' Meditations on First Philosophy, a bit of Hume, and then Immanuel Kant.
>>
A professor I had last semester recommended Susan Neiman's "Evil in Modern Thought". It's takes a different approach to looking at the Enlightenment and future modern philosophy in terms of the problem of evil, and tells a great narrative from Bayle, Pope, Rousseau, to Kant, and up through the 19th century.

It's definitely not a boring book. It's entertaining without the ideas being too watered down.
>>
>>495940
>s-shut up!!! philosophy is important and still relevant in the modern world!!!!

>if you don't stroke my ego you're a redditor!!!!
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.