[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
American victory in the war of 1812
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (203 KB, 600x458) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
203 KB, 600x458
If America won the war of 1812 what would the outcome be?
>>
>>495063
Canada would already be a part of us.
>>
>>495063
America did win the War of 1812. The British were forced to withdraw from the Ohio River Valley and end impression of American sailors, and in addition their native allies were entirely destroyed. They got nothing in return.

Let's assume you're asking "What if the American invasion of Canada had succeeded". It's honestly too much of a hypothetical to ever effectively answer, though I guarantee many people in this thread will try.
>>
>>495105
I always thought it was an American invasion of Canada, and yes that was my question
>>
>>495063
But we won
Some russian dude even made a music to celebrate our victory
>>
>>495171
>I always thought it was an American invasion of Canada
more complicated than that, lad
>>
The war of 1812 was a pointless war with no clear victors and the natives being the only loser
>>
>>495105
We lost technically.
We invaded and made no gains, maintaining a near status quo (with the exception of no more sailors being impressed).
Psychologically we won though.
>>
>>495171
>I always thought it was an American invasion of Canada, and yes that was my question

Out of interest, are you Canadian?

Usually American students are taught about impressment, the burning of the capitol, and the battle of New Orleans, and the invasion of Canada is hardly mentioned at all. Canadians apparently get taught the reverse, that it was mostly an American attempt to take Canada.

The result is that Americans and Canadians both assume that they quite obviously won the war, and are baffled when they hear people from the other country talking about how they won it.
>>
>>495219
Politically, yes. In reality, no. While the British legally ceded the Ohio River Valley to the new United States following the American Revolution, they never actually withdrew from their forts until American victory in the War of 1812. In addition, Tecumseh's Confederacy was a co-combatant with the British Empire and was completely destroyed.
>>
File: 1812.png (93 KB, 741x1721) Image search: [Google]
1812.png
93 KB, 741x1721
>>495171
That's the way Canada prefers to remember it. The reality is different. Pic very much related.
>>
>>495105
Sure, they stopped impressing Americans...
but did the Yankees end up annexing our country like they wanted? Which country had an exceedingly important building burned down? Which country did it all to try to annex FUCKING WILDERNESS
That's a no SENPAI
>>
>>495105
the sailors were pressed because of the Napoleonic Wars, they ended during the war of 1812 so they had already stopped conscripting them
>>
you know I always found it interesting that both sides had been calling for war for over two years but when it finally broke out neither was in any way prepared to fight it
>>
>>496024
STFU Canada, your country did exactly fuck all in that war. If daddy didn't bail your precious ass out, you'd be the 51st state.

>>496012 is essentially how it went down.
>>
>>496044
No one is denying the British were the ones that did all the work, you mongoloid. The fact of the matter is you guys got fucked during 1812, and the impressment of sailors stopped because the war against Napoleon ended, had nothing to do with how well you guys fought.
>>
>>496051
Kek.

>This is what Canadians actually believe

Look you idiot, 1812 gained the US international recognition, forced the Brits to actually honor the terms of the Treaty of Paris, and allowed the US to push the natives further west. Militarily, the war was a total stalemate. Annexation of Canada wasn't even really a war goal, the ENTIRE POINT was to force Britain to stop interfering in our affairs.
>>
>>496071
And Britain stopped because it was more profitable to trade with you rather than fight the Americucks
>>
>>496012

Except the majority of those fighting on the British side, due to there being only a single British detachment on the entire continent at the time the U.S.A declared war, were French-Quebecois Colonialists and second generation British Settlers, NOT the forces of the United Kingdom.

This is a History board, not a make-believe board. Present the facts as they happened- an army of several thousand U.S soldiers were absolutely blown the fuck out by 1600 Quebec beaver trappers.
>>
We *kind of* did win. We didn't achieve all of our objectives - Canada remained British - but we achieved most of them, in that while Canada remained British, the Ohio valley remained American, and impressment of American sailors stopped, and Britain's Indian allies got butchered. Literally all the British can claim is that they successfully held onto Canada, and burned down a major national landmark (but didn't actually destroy the government.)
>>
File: 1812troops.png (127 KB, 628x702) Image search: [Google]
1812troops.png
127 KB, 628x702
>>496092
>muh militia myth

That hasn't been the historiographical consensus for over a century fampai. The only one making things up here is you.
>>
>>496112
Annexing Canada was not the war goal.
>>
>>496075
Yes. Of course, the word didn't quite reach the 'seasoned veterans' of the Napoleonic wars who'd been sent to invade New Orleans, so we had to absolutely BTFO them in glorious fashion.
>>
>>496118

>Wikipedia
>Hyperbolizing massive swaths of time
>Implying primary sources (militia journals) can be refuted by a fucking wikipedia picture

I'm all down for learning something new or having my perspective challenged, but you need to be a little more rational than that, friend.
>>
>>496180
>Insisting that it was muh glorious canadian militia
>you expect us to believe that 4,000 militia turned back 7,000 US Army troops
>tons of primary source evidence from US and British regulars to refute such claims
>even more secondary sources that conclude the Brits did all the work
>not one single reputable historian believes in the Militia Myth

Look, I'm not actually going to debate this with you, because you're obviously either trolling or have a grade school level education in history, but seriously, stop embarrassing yourself. The idea that the Canadian militia was what turned back the invading force is a meme, made up by John Strachan. Nobody in academia takes such an idea seriously. It's the historiographical equivalent of claiming the George Washington cherry tree story is true.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.