[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>“Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: schopen.jpg (183 KB, 1721x2162) Image search: [Google]
schopen.jpg
183 KB, 1721x2162
>“Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud, adopts as a last resource pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and happy to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.”

What did he mean by this?
>>
If OP is a faggot and is shitty at everything, then he'll be happy about where he sucks dick and we'll say all the creaks in the floor and the cracks in the ceiling are "enhancing the mood" therefore it gives OP a boner saying he likes the shitty house
>>
>>495045
>What did he mean by this?
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>495062
That he wants the users of this image board to partake in an angry discussion about the merits of nationalism.
>>
>>495045
"Fuck my country I hope we lose a world war and have our economy destroyed"
>>
>>495075
Gonna rewrite the post to make it less edgy.

Schopenhauer isn't wrong in that paragraph. Nationalism is literally looking at someone's else advantages and saying "Me too." It's like sports; people often say "if *they* ( the players) haven't fucked it up *we* could've made it to the finals!" Point is, it's stupid.
>>
>>495104
The OP quote isn't wrong though, " ready and happy to defend ALL its faults and follies"
>>
>>495045
>le angry manlet
>>
>>495045
Is this like bored housewives whomconstantly talk about there children and there exam results.
>>
>>495106
Being a sports fan wouldn't be that stupid if your quality of life directly depended on the players' actions
>>
>>495135
It's the quality of life being dependant on the players' actions which makes you a stupid creature to begin with.
>>
File: 1451315960583.jpg (202 KB, 1056x705) Image search: [Google]
1451315960583.jpg
202 KB, 1056x705
>>495045
he was the first of those
>>
>>495106
I think he's right, but his point is irrelevant. The discussion should be about the benefits and detriments of widespread nationalist sentiment.
>>
>>495143
Anarchy is somalia's way
>>
>>495144
Schopenhauer does strike me as a tree-hugger in a few passages but then you remember he threw a women down some stairs and was a virulent racist.

He's a full-blown misanthrope, liberals are too pussified to be the embodiment of his philosophy..
>>
>>495155
>>495150
Nationalism is useful if it helps make your life and the place you live in less of a shitty place, but there's no reason to live with the spooks yourself. Leave them to the commoner and live life as you please.
>>
Schopen is literally Reddit
>>
>patriotism/jingoism is nationalism meme
>>
>>495106
>http://grantland.com/features/the-writer-sht-my-dad-says-why-your-team-give-damn-you/
This article talks about exactly that blind support of a sports team you don't? personally belong to ( not knocking sports). But he's right. There`s no we, there's the team and there's you
>>
>>495161
>Nationalism is useful if it helps make your life and the place you live in less of a shitty place
Only case in which it wouldn't would be if you were an immigrant
>>
>>495184
without the support (money) of the fans there is no team.
>>
>>495161
> but there's no reason to live with the spooks yourself.
Even if there is no good reason for me to live with them, there could be some reasons for me to encourage them.

>>495184
Sports teams are tied to their regions. Their victories are ones for the whole area, not just the team.
>>
>>495186
Now you're thinking like the frankfurt jews!
>>
>>495196
>Even if there is no good reason for me to live with them, there could be some reasons for me to encourage them.
Right, there's a good reason to encourage them if as opposing the case of >>495186 more nationalism = more benefits for you, or something.
>>
>>495196
>Sports teams are tied to their regions
They may claim victories for the region, but it's not like if the whole region is in the playing field. They're just watching. Overall, I don't see any issues with nationalism, however. It's just iffy when people try to take credit over some advancement that originated in their country yet at the same time claim that any tragedy that was the fault of that nation was not their fault as it happened long ago. You either accept the accomplishments and the evils the nation has done throughout history, or you take credit for neither. This also means that anyone who feels guilty about anything that happened in the past yet denies it's accomplishments is as much of a hypocrite.
>>
>>495239
A true nationalist would consider his country's "evils" worthy of celebration if they had a positive effect on the nation.
>>
Im a retard
What the difference between nationalism and patriotism?
>>
>>495104
His country wouldn't have gotten into a world war if it hadn't been for nationalism.
>>
"/pol/tards GTFO...well, except when it's about women."
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.