[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this guy not considered one of the worst kings in history?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9
Why is this guy not considered one of the worst kings in history?
>Didn't do anything that great throughout most of his reign policy wise except wage useless wars to make him self feel awesome, the worst one for the city of Boulogne
>Creates a shitty church by taking advantage of anti Catholic sentiments only to make himself head of it so he can get married 6 times until he produced a male heir to keep the Tudor dynasty strong; it turned to shit anyway since the son died and one of his daughters ends up ruling better than he did
>In the process lost vital support from Spain and his subjects by ousting the beloved queen
Catherine just because she gave him a daughter
>also created a psychopathic daughter due to a shit she had thrown at her that set half of England on fire
> was a general asshole on top of that and usually found the dumbest reason to execute people for treason, even his own wives.
>Often a whiny bitch and overall obviously insecure especially as he grew older.
Seriously, fuck this guy.
>>
>>495015
>Catholic Church, I'm VIII
>>
>>495015
All he's known for is his 7 wives and that's all we learn about him in school. Our time could have been better spent learning about Edward I
>>
>>495079
I chuckled
7/10
>>
>>495092
Or at least Henry the VII. Not this guy!
>>
>>495015

Because he had a private life significantly more interesting than pretty much all his contemporaries and is from an age where we finally starting to have tons of clear, legible primary information.
>>
>>495092

> 7 wives
>>
>>495079
>the reformation I just filled with papacy lists me, my court, Thomas Wosley here but only one wife, first one to birth me a son gets to keep their head
>>
>>495108
I was about to comment on that too. What the hell anon?>>495092
Wiki is a few key strokes away...
>>
>>495099
For some reason our shit kings are the most popular, Richard I, Henry VII, John. Sad thing is Edward I is seen by the masses as a cruel and malevolent ruler after fucking Braveheart.
>>
>>495108
>>495117
Mistype, happens to the best of us.
>>
>>495145
At least Richard wasn't as shit as the other 2. At least he was a bad ass kind of.
>>
>>495145
Richard I the first was a good knight
>>
>>495079
>>495114
nice, nice
>>
>>495178
>>495185
A good crusader and military leader yes but a shit king when it came to running the kingdom. He bankrupted England to pay for his crusades and he spent more time in his estates in France feasting and holding tournaments than running the show.
>>
>>495015
By breaking from Rome, the English monarch's rule over England could be established completely. No more interference of censure from Rome for the Kings politcal/religious action
>>
>>495145
Speaking of Henry VII, why are their no good films based on the War of the Roses? I'd like to see that.
>>
>>495222
But literally, that wasn't even his goal. He just wanted to get married as many times as possible to get some sons.
>>
>>495226

The White Queen wasn't as bad as everyone. The Wars of the Roses deserves so much better though.
>>
>>495226
Because nobody in the UK would be able to make one without it being racially diverse and trendy to appeal to millenials and nobody in America is aware of it so we're shit out of luck.
>>
Post your top 5 English kings

1. Edward iii
2. Edward iv
3. Edward i
4. Henry v
5. Henry ii
>>
>>495258
What but there were only characters in Tudors and barely minorities any (with real dialogue) in The Borgias or Rome. In Rome's case, seeing minorities especially black made sense though. Even then, there was minimum dialogue from them.
Regardless, having a cast that is racially diverse wouldn't do much to it anyway as long as the actual events remain true.
>>
>>495258

See also: The Hollow Crown.

This is Margaret of Anjou apparently.
>>
>>495114
>Well congratulations, you got yourself excommunicated. What's the next step in your master plan?
>>
File: A true Briton.jpg (44 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
A true Briton.jpg
44 KB, 300x400
>>495290
They were made some time ago before the whole pc nonsense became rife. I mean come on it's 2015+1

>This is Sir Bedivere in the upcoming King Arthur movie
>>
File: Brian Blessed is best York.jpg (413 KB, 700x467) Image search: [Google]
Brian Blessed is best York.jpg
413 KB, 700x467
>>495297
And this is the Duke of York
>>
>>495323
Shit, ignore filename, got mixed up. Blessed plays Exeter.
>>
>>495114
>Or perhaps she's wondering why you'd divorce a woman after cutting off her head?
>>
>>495092
>Edward I

Too bad his son couldn't continue in the same vein. That whole deal with Gaveston was just a bit awkward
>>
>>495309

This is York in Henry V. He is litterally the only black actor in the entire thing.

It's actually really jarring once you notice it's just him. None of the other main actors. None of the minor supporting cast. Not even background extras.

And he is supposed to be the biological uncle and brother of other lilly white characters.
>>
>>495323

Beat me to it.

Brian Blessed is the best part of the Branagh version.

TENNIS BALLS MY LIEGE.
>>
>>495309
WE
>>
>>495343
Good thing Edward III had his shit wired tight and his anus closed.
>>
File: HARRY'S ALIVE.jpg (67 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
HARRY'S ALIVE.jpg
67 KB, 640x427
>>495350
>For I desire Nothing but odds with England. To that end, As matching to his youth and vanity, I did present him with the Paris balls
>He’ll make your Paris Louvre shake for it

Based
>>
File: blessed3.jpg (12 KB, 300x240) Image search: [Google]
blessed3.jpg
12 KB, 300x240
>>495386

He's legendary as Richard IV in the first series of Blackadder.

As the good Lord said, "Love thy neighbour as thy self. Unless he's Turkish, in which case, KILL THE BASTARD!".
>>
>>495390
He's a true national treasure. This country will probably die along with him when he goes.
>>
>>495340
>Well congratulations, you got yourself pregnant with a girl, what's the next step of your marriage?
>>
>>495015
>Pope won't let him divorce
>reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee im a king i can do waht i want
>edge lords sets up his own church
>>
>>495344
As they're Shakespeare plays I don't give a shit

Also, that's Paterson Joesph so he can do w/e he wants
>>
>>495281
1. Henry V
2. Edward III
3. Charles II
4. Alfred the Great
5. Richard I
>>
>>495307
>crushing this Pilgrimage...with no survivors!
>>
>>495226

Spanned too great a period of time to be covered in a film. I'm not sure a miniseries could do it either.
>>
Pope URBANE IV??
>>
Dissolving monasteries gave Henry 8th enough money to build the english navy, which was the foundation of the british empire
>>
>>495145
>alfred the great is only known for burning cakes
>>
>>495997
This anon has it figured out
>>
his compositions are pretty cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJtFnA_96ds
link related
>>
>>496077
idk about that one, England only really starts to find itself in a favorable position to start building a global empire after it defeated the armada and that's half a century on from the looting of the monasteries.
>>
>>496014

It's only 30 years or so. Make it about Edward and job done.
>>
>>495015
Well he only truly became bat shit insane after almost dying in a tournament.
>>
>>496104

Dutchs were still ahead of England after the defeat of the Armada
>>
>>495232
I mean, it's hard to claim that Henry simply didn't realise what he was doing by cutting ties with Rome.
>>
>>495178
>>495185
Probably because he was French.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.