[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could Venice have had united Italy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: 2015-10-31-15-48-19--278501525.jpg (22 KB, 314x160) Image search: [Google]
2015-10-31-15-48-19--278501525.jpg
22 KB, 314x160
Back in the 1400s-1500s when Venice was a republic at the height of it's power, why didn't the Venetians unify Italy?
>>
>>4939

No as they were jews who ruined Constantinople.
>>
>>4939
The rest of Italy would have never bowed to those swamp niggers
>>
>>4960
desu Constantinople killed catholics then stopped trading as much with venice
>>
Not really.
That was time before nationalism, ''Italians'' didn't really exist in that time.
I mean you had people, but some sense of unity was lacking.
And besides, Venice was oligarchic trade republic, it wasn't some democracy or something. No real interest among their elites for such endeavor.
>>
Because the concept of Italian nationalism first appeared in 1764 when Gian Rinaldo Carli's Della Patria degli Italiani, a very famous "much-quoted article telling how a stranger entered a café in Milan and puzzled its occupants by saying that he was neither a foreigner nor a Milanese. 'Then what are you?' they asked. 'I am an Italian,' he explained."

Reference, also, the Italic League:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italic_League
>>
>>5002
Catholics are whiny cunts.
>stopping trade is cause for war
>>
>>4939
They didn't really care about it.
>>
>>5002

Typical jew logic.
>>
>>4939
They never aimed to be a continental power. Venice was a small republic that became powerful by trading with the east, built a colonial empire. They started to have lands in Italy later, and they had to deal with both the italian states, France atc. and their colonies that were always rebelling in Dalmatia. Not to mention the Turks that were also a major threat to Venice. Simply, they were really too busy to even think about it.
>>
>>4939
Venice got butfucked by France and the hispanic kingdoms during the italian wars so I doubt it would be able to unify Italy while those two were present
>>
That's like asking why didn't egypt conquer all of north africa
>>
if anyone of that era was capable of unifying italy it was the duke of milan
>>
>>4960
>No as they were jews who ruined Constantinople.
go back to pol, idiot
>>
>>5273
I doubt it. Too many people in Euope had too many interests in Italy to let it happen.
Also the Pope would have never allowed something like this.
>>
>>4939
Why would you unify something that doesn't exist?
Also each nation state had its allies, they'd have had to fight half of europe
>>
>>4939
It really wasn't needed for the ambitions that the venetians had, to be a big time naval trade power.
>>
>>5052
A sense of Italy did exist, but Venice was always paranoid about its mainland holdings. It never returned the investment required to maintain it, and the Venetians were always afraid of any ambitious governor creating a dynasty that would one day rebel and threaten the city.
>>
Other powers wouldn't have let it happen

btw Venice was dying after that https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Agnadello
>>
>>5649

Not necessarily. By the 1400s-1500s there was a unified Italian language, and there's some inklings of italian unification in Machiavellis writings, although he was more against the meddlings of foreign powers.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.