[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Monothelitism.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: fs2cross.jpg (114 KB, 432x576) Image search: [Google]
fs2cross.jpg
114 KB, 432x576
I'm seriously fascinated by Christology and the development of it over the first few centuries of the Church. And while I'm not a Christian myself, I can understand and agree with the all of the decisions made by the Ecumenical Councils regarding Christ's nature - except for monothelitism.

The official Church position is that Christ has two wills - one human and one divine - but I find that hard to reconcile with him being only One person. Is this not just crypto-Nestorianism? If Christ is human and divine united, then he'd only have a single will - not both just in case not having two would somehow "reduce his humanity."

What do /his/torians think?
>>
>>492593
Saying, "He has two wills," is really to say that the different aspects of his purpose are connected to two different natures, both of which He possesses. One nature, the divine, is attached to the salvation aspect of His purpose. He is the manifestation of the Divine Logos, meant to free us from having to face justice for our own actions. The other nature, the human, is attached to the ministry aspect of His purpose. He took on the trappings of Creation as whole man (while being whole God), in order to witness to us in a way that put example and action to what were just mere words of revelation from prophets before. He was a kid, raised by a mom and a dad in His dad's trade. He lived like the rest of us, made friends like the rest of us. He went through everything the rest of us went through. And then, He went through what the rest of us wouldn't have to go through, because He did it. His human nature is shown when He weeps upon entry to Jerusalem when people lay palm leaves in His path, and when He asks the Father to take the task of crucifixion from Him. He felt a stab in the back upon the betrayal of Judas, and He felt every lash, and was in pain every second when He was on the cross.

The theological terms are easy to get caught up with, but they are just attached to His purpose. His purpose for being here; what He did and who He is, should not be separated from the discussion. Being whole God, Jesus knows you, knew you even then. Being whole man, Jesus felt everything a man would when dying in such a way. He died in your place, and ascended to the place He is preparing for you.
>>
>>492593

Is it just me, or does the way the guy drew his abs makes it look like he has a cock and balls on his chest and abdomen?
>>
Monothelitism is Calvinist Christology
>>
>>492593
I don't think the Christians ever really got the monotheism they desired. If they declared that Jesus was just a prophet, some sort of angel, an avatar or non-deity than their cosmology would work out nicely.

Jesus is born and he dies. They want the death to be literal so that he can be part of the human sacrifice. He's an offering to appease an angry deity, he is not the deity itself. Jesus makes a distinction between himself and the father.
>>
>>493225

This completely deteriorates the deep, mystical aspects of Christianity. It isn't supposed to be easy to comprehend the Logos/Trinity/Truth.

Contrary to what Evangelicals would want you to believe; Christian spirituality and mysticism is some of the deepest and thought provoking in the world.
>>
>>492643
Faggot detected.
>>
Christ has a human soul, and his soul has a will.

If the Coptics signed off as having identical views as the Eastern Orthodox, I think you can be safe in concluding the Ecumenical Councils were correct.
>>
>>493756
There are several religions that have one super-deity and lesser deities are an aspect of it. The Hinduism manage to do with hundreds of deities and it fits well because of the pantheistic nature. Christianity struggles to do with 3 deities. I think this is because in the original version of the religion Jesus was not God which is why the theology never had a decent explanation. The Jews also emphasis that God is incomprehensible in their religion but their religion does not have such blatant contradictions, turning Jesus from a prophet to the same being as his father doesn't work out.

>Christian spirituality and mysticism is some of the deepest and thought provoking in the world
Unless you are talking about Gnostic Christianity I don't see how it being very spiritual.
>>
>>493794
>I think this is because in the original version of the religion Jesus was not God
Please read Hebrews 1
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hebrews+1&version=KJV
>>
>>492630
This is a fantastic answer, thank you!
>>
>>493773
This brings up the question - if the Copts and Orthodox have supposedly reconciled their theological differences, why aren't they in full communion again?
>>
>>493225
salam alaikum, habibi
>>
>>494147
Finalizing the process will take a few years, but they already allow all Orthodox married to Copts to partake in communion at Coptic Churches, as well as all Orthodox living in Egypt. If Coptic Churches are also the only one within reasonable distance, you can partake if you arrange it with the bishop (several Ethiopian Orthodox women, who like Copts are Oriental Orthodox, have communion at my parish). And they also share in administrative function; for instance, the Pope of Alexandria has administrated Eastern Orthodox affairs before when the Patriarch was away.

It's very close, ten years tops. Just ironing out everything.
>>
>>494547
What about other Miaphysite/Oriental Orthodox churches?
>>
>>493815
>King James version
>>
>>494547
So what are they going to do about their Pope? How is he different from the Catholic Pope to the point that Orthodox Patriarchs don't seem to mind Copts having a Pope the way they do Catholics having one based on what I read in your post?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.