[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Existentialism & Absurdism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
How does /his/ feel about the topic?
>>
>>491216
>How does /his/ feel about the topic?
The Western humanist marxists were useless fucking cunts.
>>
I like it
>>
They are cool but I would never go to them for actual philosophical substance.
>>
>not scientifically verifiable
meaningless dribble
>>
File: positivist.png (346 KB, 1829x788) Image search: [Google]
positivist.png
346 KB, 1829x788
>>491864
>>
File: apriori.png (40 KB, 825x635) Image search: [Google]
apriori.png
40 KB, 825x635
>>491864
>>
>>491216

I am an Absurdist.
>>
Heresey
>>
>>491216
Literally pointless meme philosophy
>>
I dislike it. I much prefer Heidegger.
>>
I don't like it. But as children of postmodernism I'm obliged to accept that it's there.

Fallout 4 is very Heideggerian. I like Fallout 4 and Heidegger more than I like existentialism in melodramatic films about France.
>>
>>493138
>Fallout 4 is very Heideggerian

How? Please do elaborate.
>>
>>493146
I don't know, I'm about to drive somewhere. Will post in a couple hours if the thread's still up. I want to contrast it with other things and don't have time right now. Largely it's in the way the game deals with thrownness.
>>
>>493095
Second. I find that Absurdism hits the nail on the main questions of existence and consciousness -- too much philosophy is an obsession with clarity until it gets completely crazy.
>>
>>493131

Heidegger is an existentialist though.
>>
File: 1413989835683.jpg (386 KB, 1360x1600) Image search: [Google]
1413989835683.jpg
386 KB, 1360x1600
Absurdism is the aborted baby right after the lion's abandon
>>
>>491216
Utterly useless nonsense and a major impediment to substantive sociocultural change and development.

Pic related has some great insights on the topic.
>>
>>491867
>>492008
These are so sad.
>>
>>491864
The word you're looking for is drivel.
>>
>>493095
Nice! I would identify myself as one as well at this point. I don't think of these philosophies or soft or pointless, rather a sort of lens to look at other philosophies through.
>>
>>493201

I just found a sample pdf of this and it's not very impressive

He's just built up to a claim that the Nazis were the antithesis of the enlightenment and the old evidence he's used is that they were violent. This recurs throughout the introduction; so far he isn't actually justifying anything he has said
>>
>>493246
He focuses mainly on the postmodernists, explaining how they share an intellectual heritage with the far-right fascists of the 20th century.

Fascinating critique of the prevailing intellectual milieu in academia and the West at large which has made positive political action damn near impossible, let alone positive cultural development.

It reminds you of the real practical value of the Enlightenment heritage that the illiberal post-war "left" has foolishly abandoned.
>>
>>493179
Not in the same sense.
>>
Shame Camus died so young.
>>
I like existentialism primarily because it encourages being honest with yourself and knowing what you want out of life.
>>
>>494156
I think existentialism really provides a healthy way of looking at life, even if you don't subscribe to it as a primary philosophy. It can teach you the basic lessons that will help you throughout.
>>
>>491216
Oddly enough, it's one of the few things that keeps me from killing myself.
>>
>>494723
How can Absurdism keep you from killing yourself, please do elaborate
>>
>>494777
not that anon but
>everything about reality, your life, and how to live your life is scripted for you and described as "it totally works u guys"
>it doesn't work
>so reject those scripts and do you
Seems pretty clear to me
>>
>>494777
Absurdism says that we should persevere and enjoy life, even if there is no higher purpose to existence
>>
File: 1451406534073.jpg (234 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
1451406534073.jpg
234 KB, 1200x1200
>>494777
Camus wrote an entire essay on why you shouldn't commit suicide called the Myth of Sisyphus. Basically, he talks about how life has no meaning and that the Absurd arises from when man's desire for meaning comes into direct contradiction with the nature of existence. He proposes a couple solutions or responses, one being suicide. However, he thinks of this as a non-option, and rather that one should rebel against the Absurd nature of the world and create one's own meaning free from dogma. It's a great read, and I can definitely see why one would use it as a deterrent from killing oneself.
>>
>>493146
>>493162
This may be more Sartrean, but I think it's pretty Heideggerian, anyway.
Thrownness is a mode of being in the world, and it is equiprimordial with many other elements of being in the world. We find that we are simply thrown into what's already going on in the world. When we're born, we're thrown out of the womb. When the bombs fall, the Sole Survivor is thrown out of an ideal American life and into a post-apocalyptic wasteland.
A primary theme in Heidegger and in Fallout is technology. Heidegger relates technology to Being in a way that Fallout seemingly does not. Under the surface, however, the Brotherhood of Steel embodies exactly what Heidegger liked about the Nazis: their vision of the essence of technology seemed to have more promise for Dasein than did Communism or liberalism. In a world where these ideologies have been destroyed, as a direct consequence of the abuse of technology by their adherents, it is now impossible to ignore what technology has done: it has changed the very face of Earth. Dasein has cleared a new clearing by exterminating all that was present in the old ones.
The Brotherhood of Steel are more than just power armored boy scouts. They're an existential mode, embodied. Compare their attitude toward technology with that of the Institute, which clings to the old world technological ethos in a way unlike even the Enclave did. The Brotherhood wants to prevent technology from doing what it did in the past. The Institute wants to use technology to change things so that the Extermination cannot happen again. However, synths have something like free will--they cannot be counted on to act in accordance with the Institute's plans for them, or for the world. On top of this, they are not Dasein. Synths do not demonstrate an openness to Being; they merely demonstrate a desire for freedom, in the abstract sense that is the only available form of freedom in the Wasteland.
>>
>>495014
Dasein is the being for which Being is an issue. Now, we know that the Sole Survivor is Dasein; he finds that he is in a world where the being he had come to know was gone, but in which Being had not been wiped out. The being for which Being is an issue continues to be confronted by its own being and by Being itself in the 23rd century.

Now, I've only played through once, playing as Brotherhood, so I probably am not offering a properly in depth analysis, but I hope you can see the angle I'm coming from.
>>
>>495014
That's an interesting take. I doubt the creators put that much thought into it, but I enjoyed reading it none the less.

On a semi-related note, what do you think of the idea of the synths as p-zombies? Basically they appear to all outside appearances as having an inner life, but are in fact have none and instead give only a very accurate external simulation of it. Does it sound plausible?
>>
>>495934
Speaking of existentialism in video games-

I've always had the extremely rare point of view that Undertale has some absurdist elements. Think about Sans. [spoiler] He's caught in a timeloop, his existence is completely at the mercy of someone else's- in short, his life has no meaning, no purpose to fulfill. [/spoiler] However, he continues to care for his brother, be nice to the player character, and keep an eye on the world around him.

It may be a slim example, but it's personally one of my favorite things about an otherwise average game.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.