[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
TIL Socrates' wife was kind of an hysterical bitch. Like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: Xantippe.jpg (13 KB, 240x255) Image search: [Google]
Xantippe.jpg
13 KB, 240x255
TIL Socrates' wife was kind of an hysterical bitch. Like most women, according to Plato.

> After a short time he came and told us to go in. We found Socrates
> recently released from his chains, and Xanthippe—you know her—sitting
> by him, holding their baby. When she saw us, she cried out and said the
> sort of thing that women usually say: “Socrates, this is the last time your
> friends will talk to you and you to them.” Socrates looked at Crito. “Crito,”
> he said, “let someone take her home.” And some of Crito’s people led her
> away lamenting and beating her breast.

> she cried out and said the sort of thing that women usually say
>>
I always forgot people thousands of years ago were people too, it's interesting to see these traits that all cultures seem to share because of our innate humanity. I love these sort of things, does anyone have similar stuff?
>>
>>489198

You seem like a retard.

T. Socrate´s wife.
>>
Yea I've read this dialogue and it was not hysterics. Her fucking husband was hours away from being executed and she was crying and experiencing emotions, which they viewed as a womanly thing. Later when the men present tear up, Socrates basically told them they were acting like women and this is why I sent away the others.
>>
>>489198
>beating her breast.

I remember that phrase from the Iliad, but it sounds like ti would be more painful on tits than a chest
>>
>>489266

it sounds kind of hot
>>
>>489266
>>489284

Its a traditional way of mourning.
>>
>>489198
>Husband is irresponsible
>Got himself in chains, again, leaving you to your child with no means
>Finally get tired of this shit

This is considered being a "hysterical bitch"?
>>
>>489659

>i am a woman, hear me roar
>>
>>489659
>even in ancient greece women would marry and concieve with a known troublemaker and then lament his imprisonment and death while blaming anyone but herself for choosing the jerk

Some thangs never change
>>
>>489945
Socrates at least had enough dosh to support himself and fight as a hop lite in the Peloponesean war.
>>
>>489198
Socrates lead a hard life
>married to a bitch
>ugly as fuck
>fought in a war
>got banned from life for trolling
>>
>>490760
When you put it that way, it really does seem hard to conceive of Socrates as anything but the very realest nigga.
>>
why did this faggot meme arrow every line
>>
>>490007
Didnt Socrates act almost proudly about the fact he was a broke ass nigga? He most likely got by from welfare of their time or because he happened to be friends with wealthy people.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.