[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any posters here who don't consider human life
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7
File: 1402034996761.png (98 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
1402034996761.png
98 KB, 600x500
Are there any posters here who don't consider human life innately precious?
>>
Life isn't really important. All we are is energy established into a "physical" form. When we die, our energy will go else where for other uses.
>>
Honestly, not if they're African, Chinese or Indian
>>
In a manner of speaking.

It's normal for people to consider human lives more valuable than non-human lives, if only as a consequence of genetics and socialization.
Practically speaking, though, life is cheap. People die all the time for stupid as shit reasons. People can be convinced to kill other people very easily, and we're always three missed meals away from that "innate preciousness" vanishing.

Still, yeah, I think we have an in-born as well as social predisposition to consider human life more valuable than other life.
>>
>>488134
Tolstoy, plz
>>
no, because I'm not a Christian.
>>
>>488099
Yeah, me.
>>
>>488161
Do you have to be a Christian to consider human life innately precious?
>>
Sorta.
Life is really fucking interesting but you need to recognize that there are also a lot of us that are born or die each day, and we are not all valued equally by society.
>>
I consider human life to be conditionally innately precious as far that seems to be a hardwired attitude to a certain extent but I also believe that the definition of "human" is population-specific and much narrower than most people are comfortable admitting - ie. it's much easier for someone of African ancestry to dehumanize someone of European ancestry than another African or vice-versa. Xenophobia is one of the most valuable aspects of social interaction in humans of all stripes and the fact that so many people are so eager to throw it away gives me little faith in the future of societies that espouse this.

But aside from sentimentality I'd say that human life is worth butt-fucking nothing if one gets down to brass tacks. I believe that consciousness is more of a cosmic accident than some sort of gift and that we all simply cease to be when our biological functions do; as such human life in "the big picture" has no value beyond what greater or lesser value we assign to it.
>>
>>488099
I think human life is precious because it's natural for me to do so, and indeed, I behave accordingly. However, that doesn't mean that I'll think the universe is "for" us, or we're somehow center stage, or the "main characters" of the universe.
>>
>>488161
Fucking Christian false-flagger
>>
File: 1425861346310.jpg (20 KB, 377x351) Image search: [Google]
1425861346310.jpg
20 KB, 377x351
>He doesn't believe in human rights that are undeniable and not to be impeded by man, government, or god.
>>
I don't consider human life innately precious. Well, I personally consider it as such, mostly because my animal instincts make me afraid of death and I'm capable of empathy, but overall human life isn't more precious than any other byproduct of semi-random configuration of atoms.
>>
>>488438
Rights are just a useful social construct
>>
>>488480
>useful
For who?
>>
Innately? Not by any objective measure, no. Personally? Insofar as I have benefited from the existence of humanity (a lot, obviously).
>>
>>488554
For humans, parties and distinct entities composed of humans, and a bunch of animals
>>
I don't know if mother nature can post here
>>
File: 1442535541170.png (319 KB, 803x688) Image search: [Google]
1442535541170.png
319 KB, 803x688
>>488438
>>
>>488480
Pretty much everyone, and by extension every human institution.
>>
>>488099
>thinking life is important
Don't be silly
>>
The Will supercedes Life desu.
>>
>>488142
this desu
>>
File: 1446967550336.jpg (66 KB, 251x257) Image search: [Google]
1446967550336.jpg
66 KB, 251x257
>>490050
>conatus supersedes life
>>
File: Arthur-Schopenhauer-1855.jpg (57 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Arthur-Schopenhauer-1855.jpg
57 KB, 1000x1000
>>490063

>The Will must mean Wille zum Leben

wew
>>
As an Orthodox Christian, I am continually conflicted with stuff like this.

I really try to love all people, but when I see mudslimes in Europe raping everyone and breeding Europeans out of existence, when I see Europe's cuck leaders doing nothing, when I see stupid niggers in America and Africa killing each other then blaming it on whitey, when I see Indians refusing to poo in loo, when I see Chinese annexing anything within arm's grasp and generally being barbarians, I find it so hard to like these people. And sometimes, I truly hate them.

I believe everyone's life has value. However, I also believe that you can waste that value by being an idiot or a savage person, in which case, I don't really care what happens to you.

It's really not my place to judge. Kill em all, and let God sort them out
>>
>>488099
Life isn't innately precious.

Why is that concerning though?
>>
>>488099
Are there any trips here who aren't completely retarded
>>
"humans are just animals" posters need to leave
>>
>>488157
Did Tolstoy really believe that? It sounds almost like Gnosticism.
>>
>>490471
Tolstoy believed in reincarnation and phrased it something like that. That's why he was a vegetarian
>>
>>488099
As someone that has had experience with a personal who is severly mentally retarded. I can sure for sure that the act of having a pulse does not suddenly make you valuable. Just being alive isn't note-worthy, even germs can manage that much. What matters is what you do with it.

So now it's my turn. Let's say we have a mental retard who is completly unable to do anything with his life. He also has a terrible personality, as in he will try to attack people if he doesn't get the candy he wants. He almost broke the bones of his edlerly grandmother. The whole family is ashamed of him and denies he exists. We have had people who had to give up their own time and their own goals in order to take care of him. In order to actually be able to live their own life they have to pay social workers to baby sit the 25 year old retard. The social workers in turn have miserable lives. Most likely he will need to spend the rest of his life medicated and in an institution because of his growing anger problems. Which will be an even bigger burden to the human race.

Justify keeping him alive. And before you accuse me of being cruel, just know I've actually experienced what this is like you haven't.
>>
File: dt38.jpg (26 KB, 500x356) Image search: [Google]
dt38.jpg
26 KB, 500x356
>>490493
The justification is that human life is innately precious. That's what this discussion is about. It's not about justifying each and every human life.
>>
>>490506
My point is that human life by itself is nothing.

What is life? It's few organs at work. That's really what it comes down to. So there is nothing innatly good about that. Do you honestly think that a heart chamber working is "morally good"

Life is a very insignificant thing by itself.

The idea that anything can be "good" or "bad" in of itself is retarded. Things only have meaning in the forum of interaction, things are worthless in a vaccuum. Any individual aspect of reality is fundmentally meaningless without interacting with another part.
>>
>>490574
Well, I'm religious.
>>
>>490474
>believed in reincarnation
That REALLY sounds like Gnosticism.
>>
>>490506
Or if you prefer life to have a non-material basis. Let's say that life is a soul in the material realm. Well what's "good" about that, it's just sitting in the realm.

The idea that things are innatly good or bad can easily be refuted.

Take any concept you want, let's say "being aware". Now imagine a universe where that one thing is the only thing that exists. So the whole universe is just one disembodied min that is "aware". What good is this?

The point is things can only have meaning in relationship to other things never to itself.
>>
>>488099
Aye. What would you have of me, Christcuck?
>>
>>488099
Life is only precious insofar it has the capacity of ending. Death is the only gateway out of our constant, everyday misery. With death comes perfection and release.

If life were unable to end, it would simply lose all meaning. That which is eternally, even suffering, without contrast is doomed to such a fate.
>>
>>490581
Tolstoy was excommunicated for a reason, friendo. Although that wasn't actually it, the reason he got excommunicated is he said (that is, wrote and published) that baptism and communion weren't important and the Orthodox Church was evil for having clergy and it should be done away with.
>>
>>490583
Everything has meaning in relationship to God.
>>
>>490615
But god is meaningless to me, so I fail to see how he gives anything meaning. In fact, god tends to make things meaningless because I can't have true friendship with people who are obsessed with him
>>
>>490636
But you can have friendship with people who think you're fundamnetally ontologically no different than their washing machine?
>>
>>490656
You have a stupid use of the word fundamentally. I am different than a washing machine and nobody needs sophist/hack philosophy bullshit to convince themselves otherwise.
>>
I don't think I do. I 'discovered' it in freshman year of high school, when we were having a debate about global warming, and I kept coming back and re-emphasizing my point that Earth has had several climate shifts in the past and life has always adapted to changing conditions and this time it would be no different, so there was no need to worry. Then I realized that what people were worried about were the future of the human race and the present living animals, not the concept of life in general. At which time I went: "Oooohhh, well that's kind of selfish and pretentious isn't it?"

I realize this sounds extremely edgy and stupid, and of course I find the people next to me very dear and wouldn't want to have anything terrible befall them, but surely it must be take a special kind of conceited asshole to elevate themselves and their group to such status as "innately precious," and if He exists I doubt God himself would want us to think of ourselves like that, Jesus certainly wouldn't.
>>
>>490686
In the way that a vacuum cleaner is.
>>
>>490688
According to Abrahamic doctrine, this type of elevation would be part of God's and Jesus' mindsets. Mankind is the some create to be made in God's image, elevating them above all others.

It's all rather conceited and selfish, yes.
>>
>>490577
>constantine going into each and everything thread to make unhelpful claims and then say "uhh bcuz god"
wew
>>
File: Crusader RP.png (11 KB, 1685x130) Image search: [Google]
Crusader RP.png
11 KB, 1685x130
>>491039
He tells us Orthodox do no proselytize. Apparently they just go around promoting the religion and popping up to do apologetic every-time someone say something against it.
>>
>>490459
We literally are.
>>
Do you consider your life innately precious?
>>
The value of life is an entirely fluid, subjective thing, so no, it has no innate value. Even the most compassionate individual will experience moments where they value one life over another, for instance when they feel it necessary to defend themselves, valuing the life of their attacker less than their own. Even a staunch pacifist, who would allow their attacker to kill them has elected to value their life less than their attackers. In neither case is human life innately valuable.
>>
>>491081
Orthodoxy distinguishes proselytizing from evangelizing.
>>
>>488099
Do you mean all of humanity or just individual human lives? A man is just a number.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.