[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's talk about norse civilization >no military feats
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 9
File: norsevillage.jpg (57 KB, 480x264) Image search: [Google]
norsevillage.jpg
57 KB, 480x264
Let's talk about norse civilization
>no military feats
>no universities
>no philosophers
>no great works of art (sagas were written AFTER viking age)
>no beautiful architecture

wow what a great pagan nation Romans, Greeks, Egyptians, Mesopotamians, Chinese could really learn a lot from them just look at this masterfully builded hut

I'm in awe.
>>
This is going to be a great thread with impartial, educated discussion.
>>
File: 1435885483237.png (394 KB, 493x639) Image search: [Google]
1435885483237.png
394 KB, 493x639
>>486448
But anon, don't you want to btfo /pol/ by comparing Nord huts to Africans?
>>
>>486443
Who gives a shit honestly, now we're on top and you shitholes with muh history and muh houses are indeed shitholes.
>>
File: 1437695288200.jpg (6 KB, 250x244) Image search: [Google]
1437695288200.jpg
6 KB, 250x244
>>486480
>Nords
>on top
Lad, the UN literally predicts that you'll be a third world in less than 50 years.
>>
>>486443
>no military feats
Varangian Guard, Danelaw, Norman Duchy, Gustavus Adolphus
>no universities
Unis of Uppsala and Copenhagen
>no philosophers
Kierkegaard

I could go on, but I get the feeling that you're just talking about the Norse before and during the Viking Age, which is pretty ignorant since they were latecomers to civilization. Imagine thinking the Romans were forever worthless as a Greek in 200bc.
>>
>>486480
>on top
>letting refugees overrun your countries and dilute your population to the point "nordic" peoples probably won't exist within a few generations

Top cuck, maybe.
>>
>>486487
Oh wow, these predictions are always so correct right? China will crash any day now! African countries are becoming relevant now!! No you dumbass, the reason we are the best of the best is because we are nations of highly effective and ambitious people. Not gonna change any time soon. You already are the third world.
>>
>>486480
>letting hundreds of thousands of refugees in every year
>grenade attacks in cities
>highest rape statistics in Europe

Yes, on top.....
>>
>>486504
The situation is not worse than UK, France, Germany... also racemixing is really uncommon here, races are also very segregated (aside from Asians and Iranians) from each other, don't talk about what you don't know.
>>
>>486511
Highly effective and ambitious at sucking Arab cock.
>>
>>486487

They did once based on a one year trend and immediately took it back afterwards. Retards will keep bringing it up for some reason, though.
>>
>>486528
Top kek, nordcuck tears will be spilled unto muhammeds pubes.
>>
>>486491
>varangian guard

mercenaries serving other country sure count as Nordic military chievement

also wow whole one philosopher
>>
>>486687

cite one influential philosopher of negroid descent then hmm?

(crickets chirping)
>>
>>486754
WE WUZ PLATO N SHIEEET
>>
>>486480
More like on the bottom of Muhammad.
>>
File: Arabic_aristotle.jpg (620 KB, 1064x1563) Image search: [Google]
Arabic_aristotle.jpg
620 KB, 1064x1563
>>486784
No but Aristotle was.
>>
File: Chevet_abbHommes.jpg (836 KB, 2202x1614) Image search: [Google]
Chevet_abbHommes.jpg
836 KB, 2202x1614
Do the Normans count as Norse?
>>
>>486443
At least they used wood, not mud.
>>
>>486443
>no military feats
Conquering England two and a half times? Raiding thousands of miles away from their homeland? Being the Roman Emperor's most elite warriors?
>no great works of art (sagas were written AFTER viking age)
The sagas were written down after the viking age, but were composed long before that.
>>
File: flag.jpg (94 KB, 934x527) Image search: [Google]
flag.jpg
94 KB, 934x527
>>487067
Posting a picture from an Arabic source as if it is actually credible
>my sides
>>
why is this board so fucking butthurt about vikings?
>>
>>487140
It's /pol/. They hate anything non-Christian
>>
>>487140
Because they all wore dark leather and had undercuts
>>
>>487140
I get the feeling its just shills

or you know its one really sad dude who really hates vikings
>>
>>487144
>le /pol/ boogeyman
>>
>>486754
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._E._B._Du_Bois
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wole_Soyinka
>>
File: 1438303678279.jpg (68 KB, 413x600) Image search: [Google]
1438303678279.jpg
68 KB, 413x600
>>487144
? Last time I checked /pol/ wasn't concerned with religion but rather the behavior and the decline of ethical and moral stances by western modernity
>>
>>487140
Because Norseaboos were obnoxious faggots first who act like Norse shit don't stink.
>>
>>487144
>it's /pol/
Are you afraid of your own shadow as well?
>>
>>487216
Last time i checked /pol/ was hating on everything wich their conformation bias dident support

>muh degeneracy
>>
>>487123
>Conquering England two and a half times?
First time they invaded a collapsing empire and it was more of a raid that turned into an invasion. Second time They got BTFO by Alfred, third time they were basically French by then
>Being the Roman Emperor's most elite warriors
Varangians were a meme they did barely anythign compared to the Praetorians.
> Raiding thousands of miles away from their homeland?
I'll give them that their longboats were good.
I hate that Nords are allowed to dickride the Greeks but the Congolese aren't allowed to be proud of the Egyptians when both were savage barbarians in huts when the respective civilizations existed.
>>
>>487236
>First time they invaded a collapsing empire and it was more of a raid that turned into an invasion
What are you talking about?
>Second time They got BTFO by Alfred
They didn't get BTFO, they conquered Mercia and Northumbria and held it for centuries. This conquest probably counts the most since this is when the vikings massively colonized England and greatly influenced the English language.
>third time they were basically French by then
I wasn't talking about the Normans, Sweyn Forkbeard and Cnut both conquered England.
>>
>>486443
We wuz Vikings and shit.
>>
>>487257
WE WUZ NORTHUMBRIANS
>>
>>486754
>niggers are a competition for Norse

so you admit they were so shit they have nothing on Romans, Egyptians, Chinese and many other pagan civilizations?
>>
>>487236

>I hate that Nords are allowed to dickride the Greeks but the Congolese aren't allowed to be proud of the Egyptians when both were savage barbarians in huts when the respective civilizations existed.

I was not aware of a Pan-Africa civlization which saw Egypt as its cradle and was highly influenced by Egyptian philosophy, thought and religion.
If Scandis felt somehow related or proud of the actual greeks, or that the real greeks were Scandis. Then you would be right, but I've never met a single person in Scandinavia who thinks this.
>>
>>488943
It's just a bunch of Nordics on /int/ who think so really
>>
REMEMBER

TO

SAGE

COPY

PASTE

THREADS

no actual discussion will be had here, this is shitpost central
>>
>>488943
Scandis are related to Greeks though
>>
File: kenneth-clark-001.jpg (44 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
kenneth-clark-001.jpg
44 KB, 620x372
>>486443
>norse
>civilization
got some bad news for you son
>>
>>486504
having unprotected sex with sandniggers, nice meme bruh, try harder
>>
>>486443
They had great histories, and were able to think critically about their own civilization. Look up the writings of Snorri Snorrisson. He was the first to posit the idea that the Norse gods were actually just legends of ancient kings and semi-historical heroes, whose feats were exaggerated until they became divine. Additionally, records of their explorations are very well-kept. They remain readable hundreds of years later, and compared to the writings of other major explorers (Columbus, for example), they're very well grounded in reality.

The Norse were not civilizations builders, and they were mediocre warriors. However, they can justifiably be called the greatest pre-Columbian Exchange explorers in history. Only the Phonecians could really rival them, and their records weren't quite notable.
>>
File: 1451608973134.gif (63 KB, 700x414) Image search: [Google]
1451608973134.gif
63 KB, 700x414
>>491306
>can justifiably be called the greatest pre-Columbian Exchange explorers in history

Pic related
>>
>>491306
Another strong-point of Norse culture is the development of the Commonwealth of Iceland. It's an impressive example of a population naturally adopting democracy/republicanism, and a good retort to anyone who believes that all democracies eventually turn into tyrannies. The Commonwealth remained relatively peaceful and stable, too - something few republics manage to do. This mightve been their eventual downfall though - The Icelanders eventually submitted to the Crown of Denmark, and remained vassals for centuries. However, the democratic tradition remains - The current Thing of Iceland is in fact a direct legal descendant of the thing established ~1020, iirc.
>>
>>491285
Mein neger.
>>
>>491349
Oh yeah, forgot about these guys. They left few usable records, though, at least from what I've encountered. I'll give it to them for the low-tech approach and sheer range.

Ultimately, it's about contributions to history. The Norse record speaks for itself when it comes to clarity and detail. Polynesia's exploratory efforts must be lauded, but we've had to piece a lot of it together ourselves.
>>
Why are Southern Euros so butthurt about us?

>muh history
>muh boring culture
>muh /pol/ stories about a gorillion raping islamic refugees

You never see us talking shit about them.
>>
>>491378
No one talks shit because they are irrelevant. That's where their anal pain comes from. They peaked in 0 AD, and must hate anything that peaked after they did. After all, what exactly were the Romans up to in 850?
>>
>>491365
I failed to channel my inner Kenneth Clark and spell it the britbong way "Civilisation" but the point stands
>>
>butthurt about a certain people

>>>/int/
>>>/pol/
>>
Yes nordics are literally the leeches of white people
No idea what hitler saw in them or why he wanted them as allies

Nordics literally the most over rated peoples in history
>>
Germanics are superior in literally every single way
>>
>>491349
So tribes of stone age people went to islands and ate there and shat there the end.

big. FUCKING. WHOOP.
>>
>>491507
What do explorers do again? go to islands and shit?

What is Iceland, Greenland and Newfoundland?

Madagascar, Hawaii, Easter island, New Zealand.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.