[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Colonization of Siberia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
I know next to nothing on this topic, when did it happen? How? Why? etc.
>>
I know a little bit about this but not much.

i know the introduction of firearms was instrumental to the shift in power between the Muscovites and the nomadic horse archers who previously predominated. After muskets came along suddenly the nomads couldn't just pepper their enemy with arrows from a safe distance, which was basically the only arrow in their quiver, so to speak. The Muscovites used standing wooden shields that they'd shelter behind. They also used their wagons if they were travelling in a convoy, circling them and firing from behind them. Essentially tactics like would be seen a few centuries later in the American west, or with the Boers in Africa.

I'm only talking here about the very earliest phase of expansion, though, when Muscovy first started pushing back the horse nomads in the 16th century. Beyond that I really don't know much. But if I had to extrapolate I'd say it was very similar to the American expansion westwards - military outposts being set up hundreds of miles from anywhere, crewed by a few hardy soldiers who were tasked with subduing the natives, then later wagon trains of settlers venturing into semi-pacified lands to build civilisation.
>>
It is important to note that Siberia has an incredibly low population density. When Peter the Great started taking all that land in the East the intention was not for permanent settlement but rather to get the natural resources that were valuable at the time. Colonization is a natural result when you have people gathering resources just to make the process easier, but Siberia is a pretty shit place to live so it was not exactly a big thing to go start a settlement there like it was for North America.
>When
It started with Peter the Great expanding
>How
Same way it happens everywhere else, creating towns to make the gathering of resources easier
>Why
To make Russia richer so it could try to be more like Western Europe.

Hope you learned something new
>>
>>487091
There were no nomadic horse archers in Siberia. Siberia is forested. They conquered the steppe much later.

It was a lot like the French colonization of North America, they built small forts and mostly traded/hunted for furs until they eventually reached the Pacific.
>>
>>487483
he probably meant conquest of various Tatar khanates on the east, remnants of the Golden Horde.

These Tatar/Bashkir/Nogai/Kyrgyz territories WERE in Siberia or at least bordering it.

After these khanates fell, Russia started expanding further into Siberia proper (the one that is forested and with nearly no population whatsoever).

It was mainly done with cossack forts, relatively small band of cossacks could do some substantial damage (think conquistadors)

also OP's picrelated is about the leader of these cossacks, Yermak

With enemies out of the way, Russia started to exploit Siberia for it's natural deposits, look up Akinfiy Demidov

Siberia is STILL largely unpopulated even today, there are still next to no infrastructure in it.
>>
File: Figure_20_03_01.jpg (336 KB, 1045x488) Image search: [Google]
Figure_20_03_01.jpg
336 KB, 1045x488
>>487787
I think the Khanate of Sibir was the only khanate that was actually in Siberia, and even then they only had a small Tatar ruling class that had to be defeated. If you look at a map of Russia today east of the Urals its southern borders pretty much follow the forests exactly.
>>
>>487787
>he probably meant conquest of various Tatar khanates on the east, remnants of the Golden Horde.
exactly what I meant. As I said, I only know about the earliest phase of Russian expansion, when they were just entering westernmost siberia.

I think this guy's right, though
>>487483
the best comparison for the colonisation of siberia proper is the French and British fur traders in Canada. Especially given that a lot of the Russian trade with the native Siberians revolved around furs.
>>
File: chaparral.jpg (44 KB, 555x357) Image search: [Google]
chaparral.jpg
44 KB, 555x357
>>487850
>funny word
>colour stands out
The whole point of that image is to introduce everyone to the concept of chaparral, isn't it
>>
>>487091
>After muskets came along suddenly the nomads couldn't just pepper their enemy with arrows from a safe distance

What's funny about this is that there is an "expert" on Russian history at Harvard who believes that steppe nomad bows were sniper weapons effective to 800, and muskets were only effective at 15 yards.
>>
>>487912
yep
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasak
>>
>>487850
>Desert
>Central Chile
>Cuba
>La Hispaniola
wut
>>
>>487475

That is demonstrably untrue: you had colonization of Siberia, even privately funded exploration/settler teams being sent out, as far back as Ivan IV, hundreds of years before Peter.
>>
>>486120
All I know was that it was fueled by the fur trade, like a gold rush, and that gunpowder technology gave the Russians a huge military advantage.
>>
>>486120

Imagine if America was founded in the 10th century by viking lords and their saxon underlings, and native americans were Muslims. That's Russian history in a nutshell.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.