[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is sexual intercourse a bane to so many philosophers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8
File: saw_177015_top.jpg (6 KB, 240x183) Image search: [Google]
saw_177015_top.jpg
6 KB, 240x183
Why is sexual intercourse a bane to so many philosophers?
>>
Because no one wants to fuck that one guy with the strange ideas about life
>>
>>485045
Only the R9K types.

The Enlightenment cunts alone got fine. Hell this was the time when you can blackmail a maid into it.
>>
>>485045
thats a big statement

>>485221
albert camus
>>
Bane?
>>
Hegel had an illegitimate child with his maid.
>>
Their guys are not big enough.
>>
>>485045
They had funcional autism.
>>
Schopenhauer fucked his son's wife
>>
>>485326

Hegel was a cuck
>>
File: ben_franklin.jpg (15 KB, 300x296) Image search: [Google]
ben_franklin.jpg
15 KB, 300x296
Some say he still lurks in the bosoms of woman to this day.
>>
Because philosophers are about as good with women as autists.
>>
Depends on the philosopher.

Socrates had a wife and kids.
Diogenes fapped a lot.
Crates was pretty much a dog and had sex in public with his wife.
The Stoics were all about virtue. They were OK with sex as long as it was for reproductive reasons. Sex for the sake of sexual pleasure is not virtuous, so they were against it.
The Epicureans were all about peace of mind and sex tends to disrupt this.

I really don't care about post-Greek/Roman philosophers so can't say much about them.
>>
>>485221
>>485364
>>485414

Greek/Roman philosophers didn't consider "having sex" as the greatest good. Not everyone in history had the same priorities of 21st century fraternity brothers.
>>
I think it's just a few famous examples like Kant and Nietzsche that give this impression.
>>
File: 60536.jpg (74 KB, 900x506) Image search: [Google]
60536.jpg
74 KB, 900x506
A what now?
>>
>>485045
I am CIA
>>
He wasn't alone
>>
>>485464

Where did the idea of sex being a vice come from?
>>
>>485045
It was extremely embarrassing.
>>
>>485400
>cucking your own son

That's pretty pessimistic alright
>>
File: b.gif (3 MB, 318x500) Image search: [Google]
b.gif
3 MB, 318x500
>>485045
because they're not big guys
>>
>>486107
Meden Agan
>>
What do you mean? Most philosophers were married.
>>
File: yes.jpg (108 KB, 540x562) Image search: [Google]
yes.jpg
108 KB, 540x562
>>485045
>>
>>485045
Because philosophers overthink everything and sex is ruined by overthinking.

>mfw copulating with a female and pondering about why she enjoys being taken from the rear and having her hair pulled
>enjoys being dominated? daddy issues? but why?
>>
>>486176

Seems they took it too far.
>>
>>486209
kek
>>
>>486179
Married without children
>>
File: joos.jpg (661 KB, 958x775) Image search: [Google]
joos.jpg
661 KB, 958x775
>>486209
So you have to be a brainless drone in order to perpetuate the human race?

Seems about right.
>>
>>486107
Sex is not a vice. Desire for sexual pleasure is a vice.
>>
File: 1449596917075.jpg (7 KB, 147x147) Image search: [Google]
1449596917075.jpg
7 KB, 147x147
>>486209

>enjoys being dominated? daddy issues? but why?

So basically im confirmed philosopher then...

How i should proceed to kill myself? Is killing myself the right thing to do? Do 'myself' or 'self actually exist... oh FUCK DAMMIT SHIT ASS
>>
>>486359

Why? And who says so?
>>
>>486551
God.
>>
>>485045
>bane
4u.

Camus and Sartre and deBeauvoir and Foucault were big fuckers.

And what do the analyticals have? The sinpg waifu paper.
>>
>>487118
>Camus and Sartre and deBeauvoir and Foucault
>philosophers
le trashmaster.exe
>>
>>485240
Yeah but Camus was sexy as fuck
>>
It's difficult to get it up when you're thinking so hard about stuff
>>
Here is Musonius Rufus on sex:

>Not the least significant part of the life of luxury and self-indulgence lies also in sexual excess; for example those who lead such a life crave a variety of loves not only lawful but unlawful ones as well, not women alone but also men; sometimes they pursue one love and sometimes another, and not being satisfied with those which are available, pursue those which are rare and inaccessible, and invent shameful intimacies, all of which constitute a grave indictment of manhood.

>Men who are not wantons or immoral are bound to consider sexual intercourse justified only when it occurs in marriage and is indulged in for the purpose of begetting children, since that is lawful, but unjust and unlawful when it is mere pleasure-seeking, even in marriage. But of all sexual relations those involving adultery are most unlawful, and not more tolerable are those of men with men, because it is a monstrous thing and contrary to nature.

A modern person with a "fratty bro personality" would say "what a virgin loser" to this guy (who was married and had kids).

But the thing is... He achieved happiness.

How many promiscuous men who think their life is about their dick can say that?
>>
>>485045

Eliot Rodger isn't a fucking philosopher you fucking retard.
>>
>>490009
There's two ways to see it from my perspective (that is from people who don't consider sex good in terms of pleasure seeking or whatever):

Either you don't give a fuck about it at all (ie you get laid every now and then or not, it doesn't really matter) and you don't care about what people do with it since there are more important things in life or you're extremely ascetic about it and shame anyone who indulges in it.
>>
>>490009
>Musonius Rufus
Is there anywhere I can read his works online?
>>
Ejaculation triggers the reward center / dopamine release, which happens with a lot of activities that could be considered addictive which in turn becomes considered a vice
>>
>>490784

I clearly had
>>486551
selected what the fuck
>>
>>486170
>>486181
you're so funny
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.